My Graduation

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
So...I finally get to graduate on 29th May for the degree I earned through distance learning with the Open University last year. Thanks to me getting my degree I am going on to do a postgraduate degree in Teacher Training in August.

My mum, dad, aunt, brother, boyfriend and gran are all coming to my graduation ceremony. I would like to do something back at the house nothing big but will maybe invite some other family members too.

So any ideas...I can't guarantee the weather but ideally would like it to be an outdoor thing. Hmmmmmmmm.

Also gives me an excuse to make lots of cupcakes as I race to be a cupcake queen ;)

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Congratulations!!!! This is very exciting indeed! And, I did not not your aim was to be the cupcake queen!

What time of day will this be? That will help with food suggestions.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Festivefun - Congratulations! And -- the beautiful cupcakes will be perfect for this celebration!

For the rest of the food..... well, how much room will be available in your parent's refrigerator? Or.... will you have the use of other refrigerators for the gathering?

If refrigerator space will NOT be available.... it is more tricky. Perhaps it would be best to order a platter of ready-made sandwiches -- and pick them up on the way home from the graduation. You could buy beverages in advance -- and pick up a bag or two of ice when you stop to pick up the platter of food. (Seems like a time for festive paper plates, etc.) Perhaps buy some cartons of prepared cole slaw and potato salad. If your family enjoys baked beans, you could have cans ready to open, and pour into a serving bowl, and microwave before setting out on the buffet table. Same with jars of pickle

I imagine that people will be hungry -- so getting things ready to serve quickly and easily would be the most important thing!

These are just a few beginning thoughts. I will enjoy reading ideas from other people!s and olives.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Congratulations!

I would do a meat tray, assorted rolls, some salads, cupcakes, cookies and some chips and such.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Mi c****e - You already have some great suggestions. If you use a crock pot you could do some meatballs and have those warming while you are at graduation. The more you can get done, put on platters and ready to go in advance will be great! Don't forget to stage the plates, untensils, serving pieces, etc that will need to go out when you get home. And, delegate ahead of time! Ask one person to put out table cloths and centerpieces, ask another to handle paper products, another to handle drinks and ice, etc. It will come together nicely with a little pre-planning. Please share with us when you decide on the menu!

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Ok, just spent way too long thinking about this!! Thanks again for the ideas. They might not be exact but believe me they were my starting point. You're stars!

My theme will be colour based on my graduation colours. Navy, light blue and Gold. I am assuming at the moment that it will be a close knit thing just the six of us, but I love all the party designs out there and thought a small event would be a good place to start.

So...first of all will get invites done...although everyone is coming it will be nice to give something out. Will roll them like scrolls and tie with ribbons. Hopefully print of the blurb for the middle...if I can find something nice to design it with.

I want to make labels for Cola bottles, there will be no drink as alcohol is an issue with some of my family members. Might think of a hot drink idea for the mugs....

I would like to roll up napkins and have them tied with a tassle and ribbon.

Will make cupcakes - yay, just one batch so need to decide on recipe for that. Will look in shops for a mortar topper, but if I can't might make flags on ****tail sticks. [male hen sticks ;)]

Will use a navy blue table cloth, would like to embelish the cloth to make it look more fun and festive, but not sure how.

I will buy flowers in colour them and maybe balloons too.

To help decorate the table with the food I was thinking some colour themed sweets in jars.

As for the important bit the food. I'm going with Watercress soup and breads, while I re-heat some pasta (need to find a nice easy pasta recipe). Put the salad out-possibly Chicken Caeser with some other basics on side, tomato, cucumber, pepper. And some chips and home made dips that I can do in advance.

So team what do we think? All ideas welcomed ;)

Last edited:

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I Love it!!!!! I love the invitation idea and the color scheme - it's all coming together so nicely. What kind of pasta dish are you looking for?

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Festivefun, I saw some cute graduation cupcakes in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine.
They were cupcakes with white frosting and a colored glitter around just the edges. For the graduation hat they used a round chocolate covered malt ball candy, topped with a square cracker dipped in melted chocolate. For the tassel they used a small strip of fruit leather, frayed at the ends, and added a small mini m & m candy as the button holding the tassel.. I did find the proper directions on their website but they didn't have a picture. http://www.bhg.com/recipe/cupcakes/buttercakes-with-sour-cream-frosting/. You could use a box mix for the cupcakes to make it even easier.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
festivefun- Looks Great!

What date exactly is your graduation?
I'll raise a glass of bubbly in celebration!

Annie