My Thoughts on the Hunger Games

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'm currently reading the 2nd book in the series. I can't say I agree or disagree with you at this point, but once I finish the 3rd book I'll be sure to let you know. LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I read the first book, it was ok. Figured I should read them all so started on the second. Not sure if I even finished it. It didn't stick with me. Just not my kind of story. Forget the message, I can't say I was taken in with the story so the message didn't matter.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks for sharing Ginger. I bought the book for DGD but after one of the members here let me know I might want to read it first, I will read it before she does. I went against my own instincts & bought it, after reading your reveiw I'm thinking "Now Tricia you KNOW to trust your own instincts LOL"

I know that was just your opinion but I know that you are pretty opened minded so I'm going yikes!

Thanks ladies for your thoughts..

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I am waiting on my turn for book 3. Three was good and desturbing, two was ok, a bit rushed but added a few interesting thoughts to the story. That's as far as I can comment on. LOL.

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
One of the things I love most about this site is that we can discuss things and share opinions with open minds and no nastiness! At so many other sites (sorry to say even on many sites supposedly devoted to faith matters), no one can dare express an opinion someone doesn't agree with without opening themselves up to viscious personal attack. God bless this place!

Just to share a different opinion, my daughter and I both enjoyed the books very much -not that I thought every aspect of them perfect. I don't believe I have ever read a book that I thought was perfect (Yes, JRR Tolkein, I do include you in that though it seems a heresy.) :)

I don't want to give away any spoilers here but will say that some of the sad or difficult parts produced valuable discussion between DD and I. We're both looking forward to the movie and my grandmother is the proud owner of a cat named Katniss.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone and certainly not to younger kids unless their parents previewed it and felt it would be appropriate for their particular child.

Just wanted to chime in a little as someone who did enjoy the books. THere's more I might say but wanted to keep this a spoiler-free zone.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I completely agree with Mo. I thoroughly enjoyed the books, even if they had dark places and the overall theme was not idealistic to our society. I can see how they could bring about many important discussions between parents and children and how it can show one to count their blessings that we don't live in a society like in the books, although some countries probably do sadly. But ultimately, they are just books, a fictional story made to entertain. They held my attention, in fact I couldn't put them down and read all 3 in quick order.

I think they are about people doing what they had to do to overcome their circumstances and help others. Yes, there was darkness but I also think there was a lot of light in this book. I would recommend them.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I'll add my two cents as well...I really liked the first 2 books. I especially liked the strong lead female character - independent and capable...on her own. You don't often see that in YA fiction (take Twilight for example). That said, I would recommend reading it before giving it to a tween. The subject matter is quite dark and I think it is best experienced with an adult that they can discuss it with as several people have mentioned.

Without saying too much, I did not like Book 3 at all. I felt like someone else had taken up the story and they didnt quite "get" the characters or their motivations/history. JMHO.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I just finished book 2 last night and started book 3 immediately after. I felt robbed at the end of 2, but we'll see if 3 takes that away.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I enjoy the open discussions here also.

I know there are many people that really enjoyed the books and obviously I read all three of them.

Perhaps they just made me worry too much about the sad state of things in the world and how close we are to "being" at that point. I also think they are pretty dark for the younger crowd. Many of our middle schoolers are reading them....and they are 11-12-13...the theme is dark and I agree unless there is someone to process the book with them....well it seems rather disturbing.

I actually really liked the first book. The second not as much because it just seemed to ramble on....like it's main purpose was to get us to book three. AND I do agree with Colleen...Book three seems to go in a somewhat different direction...and is back and forth in "thinking" so much that I found it hard to follow..

Yes there is some "light" in the book but it seems so minimal and rather accidental...I'm curious as to what others think the "main message" of the series is. I note that Mrs Soup thinks it is about people overcoming their circumstances to help others....any other views??

Try not to give away the ending though for those that haven't finished reading the series.