Need gift help, please

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
Thought I had this posted, can't find it, so if it returns from cyberville, pls excuse a double post. I'd appreciate ideas for a DIL's gift. She doesn't carry a purse, doesn't use an apron (well, neither do I!). Showers rather than bubblebath. She collects lighthouses so I try to add a figurine each year. Last year I accidentally 'stumbled' across a unique quilt rack for an extremely low price & got it. Made tablecloths 2 yr ago & not sure they were appreciated/welcomed. The other DIL I plan to design/sew a simple purse for her to fit her needs with several pockets & possibly an apron as she loves to cook. But what do I do for the one who doesn't carry a purse???? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! :frown: :help:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Put a family photo on material and make her a pillow. If she carries/reads a bible a nice handmade bible cover would be nice.

Iluvsantasandsnowmen

Retire Member
Oct 27, 2007
In the state of confusion still...
Maybe make her a pamper me basket?
Even if she does not like to cook you could make her a cookbook with your son's favorite recipes from when he w :bigsnow: as a kid. I think I will make one for my not yet DIL's.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
JayOkie - I need more info!!! What does she like besides lighthouses? Have you ever had a "general" discussion with her about Christmas and Christmas gifts?

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
Not knowing if this is something she would enjoy or not - do you think she would enjoy a small scrapbooked album of family pictures?

They now make pre-made albums that are fantastic - you just have to add your photos and whala! :pink:

How about a recipe book? Are there recipes you'd like to pass down through the generations or recipes that you know she particularly enjoys?

mummytummy

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Perth WA
Why not ask your son for some ideas as she may mention to him things she would like he can then pass this on to you, i can be a difficult person to buy for and now make a list of things i would like maybe she could do something similar and you could be sure she gets something she wanted and would use (not hide away and only bring out when you visit - like me, :frown:I don't like to hurt peoples feelings )

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was thinking some type of family history (a chart of her family line maybe) might make a nice gift. Or a photo album of her son's baby photos. IF her son would write her a letter or a poem that could be framed, she would love that.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Maybe do a Christmas themed basket? Make or buy her a Christmas CD. Or get her a DVD; some cocoa or Snowman soup. Add some truffles or baked goodies. There are alot of Christmas Lighthouse prducts and images on the web if you google it.You may be able to find an image to print and put in a small frame? Here is a free printable Christmas card from one site, maybe you could print a few up and add them with some envelopes, pretty stickers and tie them with ribbon to add to a basket.
http://lighthouse-news.com/2007/12/03/f ... tmas-card/

Then wrap the basket with a pretty scarf! Just a thought.Good luck!

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
Thank you, all, for the suggestions. Sparkle, I really don't know what else she 'likes'....I just know she collects lighthouse items. Between them they have 5 children at home. I think she cooks because she 'has' to rather than truly enjoying it. Have thought about a sweatshirt with a lighthouse scene (it can get pretty cold in NE Ok in the winter!)

Recipes that son liked as child have been put into family reunion cookbooks so she has those.

And son would be no help - have tried that - he will advise me re: books for the kids(he reads almost as much as he breathes). DIL doesn't read books just for enjoyment. But I will follow up on the suggestion to quiz her about possible ideas. I have to be carefull as she cannot/will not/does not keep a secret, so if she gets wind of something I might be considering, and it's something she'd really like, she'll let it be known that she IS getting xxxx for Christmas. She's a gift-problem. :sad:

I appreciate all your suggestions & will re-read them to see what I might have missed with the first reading. Thanks, again, for all the help! I do appreciate it. ::eek:rnament:

JayOkie

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
How about a nice framed piece of art with a picture of a lighthouse. She could hang it in the bathroom. Oooh, maybe put together a few lighthouse related items in a basket for her bathroom (towels, shower curtain w/matching hooks, etc.)

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
I can feel your pain concerning DS being no help. With 5 children, maybe she would like a "me time" gift. Maybe a pedicure GC or something like that. Or maybe a "pamper yourself basket" including the new Pedegg (it works pretty good). Or maybe a GC for babysitting and movie GC. My youngest DS changes GF's about every year, so since I don't who I will be buying for or what they like, I usually get generic bath products. BTW, B&BW is having their annual clearence sale now. They make shower gel, so since she doesn't like baths that would be good.

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
Thanks for the add'l suggestions......I've been toying with the idea of a pamper-me basket. Shower gels, etc. The 16 yr g'dau just may be the source of information I need :grin: And if I can find towels with a lighthouse on them, those could be 'just hers' ;-)
(even if she has to threaten the rest of them!!)

I appreciate all the help.....I sure needed it :frown: :grin:
Wishing all of you a safe summer & lots of succesful Rudy Days.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
JayOkie, one more thing. If you have a Dollar Tree in your area, they have the packs of Lighthouse shape votive candles (4 in a pack). If you decide on the towels you can also include the candles.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I was thinking a sweatshirt and then I saw you mentioned it. If you do sewing you could do a lighthouse scene on one. Or find material with lighthouses on it and then sew the right side of it to the wrong side of sweatshirt in a square pattern, diamond or your choice and cut the sweatshirt away from the materail right along the stitching. (well about 1/4" away) I have made these at times when I can't think of anything else. Or do a picture of the kids on a pillow or sweatshirt. A perfume that she likes and doesn't get often if it is to costly. Sometimes places have a big sales where you get the lotion, shower gel and perfume. Some have sales on line that you just see if you ever think to look.

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
thanks for the add'l ideas! I talked to the 16 yo g'dau Sat....I was right - DIL cooks because she 'has' to, not just for the enjoyment of it. G'dau didn't have any ideas; is going to think on it.

Lunchlady - we do have a Dollar Tree; I don't get there often but I'll look for the lighthouse candles. I'll be in that part of town in about 2 weeks.

SparkleNana - the kids are 17.5, 16, 12, 11, & 8 with an older sis of the 3 younger ones in the area ... and they're about 4 hr from me.

May take a little of this & a little of that from the various suggestions :haha: I'm leaning towards the Special Me basket or the sweatshirt..now I just have to get busy & see if I can find the goodies for the basket :grin:

Thanks, again, for all the help.