New to elfing, have some questions

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

leshiahatch

Retire Member
Oct 24, 2010
Hello all,

I bought Elf on a Shelf after Christmas this year and was planning on starting it this year. Well I can't find it now,lol. So I went searching for more info and I found you guys. I love all your elf stories and I am so excited to get started. Just have a few questions.

1. Does each of your children have their own elf?
2. I have a 1yo, 4 yo and 16 yo (all boys) and I'm debating on how many elves I should ge.
3. Do all your elves match the gender of the child?

Any tips or suggestions for a newbie? I am in the process of looking for our elf/elves. Gonna shop around and see if I can find something cute more inexpensively..

Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas, I think this might be a new addiction for me,lol.

Leshia

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
The wonderful thing about the elves is that you make it whatever you want. They are your personal story to write. But here is my story:

1)we have 3 kids and 3 elves

2)i also have 3 boys (6,9,11) and this will be 3 yrs for us. with 3 I figure they get each other into trouble as well. Plus sometimes i have each elf doing someting w/ their DS not always tog. But one will work. I would suggest that if you want one for each inc. the older DS if for nothing else not having to explain to the younger boys why DS1 is "too old"

3)my elves' story is that they are 3 brothers.

hope that helps some. i have the Annalee elves bc i like they are poseable.

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
I have a whole crew of elves... (it's pretty out of control at my house :) ) but when I see a cute elf I have to buy it. :) I figure the more the merrier and the more "trouble" they can get into. :) We have 2 "chief elves" (the ones that come every year) and the rest kind of alternate through as elves in training. I also have an entire herd of reindeer... they come for "reindeer training" throughout the month.

it's totally up to you what to do but it's seriously contageous once you start! :)

maggie

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
So glad you found us, Leshia !
I have 2 boys and they have 2 boy elves. They like tio have their own as they take them places and sleep with them, etc. But I know some who just keep their elves up on a shelf to keep a watch and report to Santa. That would be totally up to you. Have fun with it and make sure you let us in on what your elf/elves get into this Christmastime!

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
Hi Leishia, welcome! I have 2 kids, a 3 yr old boy and an 8.5yr old girl. My DD has her own elf and DS will get one this year. We also have 7 others that I have collected throughout the year and they will all be coming to visit after Thanksgiving. One elf was fun last year, but the more elves you have, the more mischeif they can get into and the more fun it is. we also have a reindeer, moose, polar bear and a christmas puupy and pony. They will all be appearing this year. I actually had most of these in the attic from many years ago and my kids have never seen them. My kids love their elves and play with them. Our elves do not sit on a shelf and watch the kids. You can read all about ours on their blog listed in my signature.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
oh yeah we had a snowman show up last year at some point and this year I have added a reindeer to the mix. Their blog is in my signature of some of the stuff they did.

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
hi,

i have 3 sons ages 8, 5 and 1 and we have 1 elf, whicch is a boy, this wasnt planned but the only elf i could find 2 yrs ago when i wanted to do it.

we have also had a reindeer stay for a few days.

check out berties site (went live last night) for more ideas.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Hi Leshia! This is my first year doing the elves as well. I have 2 boys and two elves (also from Analee). I am going to start small...a few nights of mischief and they will probably bring a new holiday book & DVD to share with the boys. My youngest is only 18mos, but my older son is 5yo and is going to LOVE it! Feel free to bounce ideas off the group - this is a wonderful bunch of very talented people! I shamelessly borrow their ideas all the time!

Jump in and have fun!!!!

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
i would say do as much or as little as you want to - if you get stuck for ideas - hide it for few days and make it its had to go back to north pole!

momiilu

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2008
Minnesota
www.myspace.com
Glad you found us!!

I'm Micki, and I have three kiddos a 12yr old boy, an almost 8yr old boy, and a 5 yr old girl, Our first elf came 3 years ago, his name was Skeeter, his twin sister, Penelope went to my SIL's, After our first year I knew I wanted more elves ;) My son had seen an elf in the store like my mom had and I had to think of a story quick on the spot and told him, not everyone knows about magic elves and that Santa sends them to stores for family's to adopt ;) That day Elvin joined our family, That summer my DD spotted an elfish looking doll at a Garage sale and insisted that she come home with us, And last year was our first year with all three elves, 2 boys and a girl, and they will all be returning this year, with a few visits from their friends, each elf has a pet that comes sometimes too.

I think its all about whatever you want to put into it ;) I also have a blog and a FB page in my siggy if you are interested!! most importantly HAVE FUN WITH IT!!

leshiahatch

Retire Member
Oct 24, 2010
Thanks for all the replys. I am going to start elf hunting this week. Not sure I can justify $30 on a elf especially if I decide to get 3. I will keep you posted on our elf/elves.

Thanks,
Leshia

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
I have found elves at the following stores:

home goods (they have had cute ones as well as the ones that I think are scary looking :) )

any of the craft stores, joann's, michael's, hobby lobby, ac moore...

christmas tree shoppe

any holiday store

good luck!

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
Thanks for all the replys. I am going to start elf hunting this week. Not sure I can justify $30 on a elf especially if I decide to get 3. I will keep you posted on our elf/elves.

Thanks,
Leshia

bertie "was" a dwarfe from snow white...... some xmas ribbon and bells later hes an elf! and he only cost me £7 off ebay inc postage.

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I have a 10 yr. old son, an 8 yr. old daughter and a 4 yr. old daughter. I do have an elf go match their gender. Yesterday I went to the Salvation Army where I finally found an elf for my youngest girl who is 4 yrs. old as she was too young before. I had an elf for her when she was almost 2 and she just tore it apart so I used a polar bear for her that could take the punishment so she wouldn't feel left out. The elf I found was only $1.99 so it was a great deal. Then I took it home and after washing it, made it look more like a girl with long pink hair. lol! Still have to think of a good Christmas name for her. (the elf)

leshiahatch

Retire Member
Oct 24, 2010
Well 5 stores later and still no elves. However I did find 2 reindeer at Goodwill brand new $.79 a piece. One gund one ty. I did find the creepy elves at Home Good but that isn't happening. Still debating on what I'm gonna do with the reindeer. Never realized how few elf things there are out there.

So how does everyone have their elves communicate with your kids. I saw something about a journal, is that communication between the kids and elves. I've also seen people say something about notes.

Do we have an idiots guide to elfing,lol? Yes I sometimes make things too complicated.

Thanks,
Leshia

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
Well 5 stores later and still no elves. However I did find 2 reindeer at Goodwill brand new $.79 a piece. One gund one ty. I did find the creepy elves at Home Good but that isn't happening. Still debating on what I'm gonna do with the reindeer. Never realized how few elf things there are out there.

So how does everyone have their elves communicate with your kids. I saw something about a journal, is that communication between the kids and elves. I've also seen people say something about notes.

Do we have an idiots guide to elfing,lol? Yes I sometimes make things too complicated.

Thanks,
Leshia

as on berties site - elves come in all shapes and sizes - so you make out the elf was turned into a reindeer or the reindeer has been sent as no-1 could look after the baby reindeer due to making toys etc.

bertie writes in his journal everyday, and the kids reply in it. as well as this he leaves notes in lunch boxes, coat pockets, send them on hunts with clues etc.

there is no idiots guide sadly......but could make a fortune by making 1! LOL!

you make it what you want it to be. i'm sure the others on here will agree. if you just want the elf to move to a different place/room every day then thats what you do. if you want it to cause mischief it does! if you want to send it back to north pole for an "urgent meeting eith santa" you do!.

dont worry just have fun with it. x

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
My dd's original elf Hannah has an aol email address and I set one up for my daughter as well. I have it blocked from everyone except a few family members and the elf. I also check it from work occasionally to make sure there isn't any of the lovely spam emails that seem to leak through. Hannah has a facebook page but I haven't done much with that yet. I can't access FB from work and it's hard to do it at home without dd seeing it. They wrote notes back and forth last year on note paper and sticky notes and whatever else they could find. This year, I bought a spiral notebook with a plastic cover and drew Christmas pictures on the front. They'll use that until it's full.

You'll get more comfortable as you do more things with the elves. Just use lots of our ideas and then you'll come up with some of your own. Have fun with this!!

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008

Thanks,
Leshia

glad I'm not the only one who thinks the home good elves are creepy looking...

michael's now has their elves out, they aren't bad looking. :)

as for elf things, I love looking in the target dollar spot. The drug stores are also good for random things. I think I have a list somewhere of stuff I've bought. If you want it, just email me.

maggie