New Years Eve

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I want to celebrate as many holidays as possible this coming year. Some might be bigger celebrations than others but as many as we can will be acknowledged.

We will begin next year with a small celebration on New Years Eve. I've spent most of my NYE's with my kids(DH always crashed early) when they were younger. We'd eat snacks, watch the ball drop & whatever else we decided to do. We continued this tradition with DGD. As her mother will be working NYE it will just be she & I, but there's no law that says there has to be a HUGE crowd to celebrate.

So far our plans are to eat snacks, probably watch the ball drop & we're going to do a new thing this year.

We will take 4 index cards tomorrow & write our thoughts on each question/comment on them. We may draw pics too. On the back of the cards will be a clock letting us know what time to look at the cards. They will go from 9 p.m-12A.M.

What the cards will have on them:

1. What I love about my family is:
2. 1 thing I want to do with my family in 2012 is:
3. What I want to do for my family in 2012 is:
4. May God Bless my family with in 2012

What if any are your NYE plan?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
That is a great way to celebrate Tricia!

NY's Eve is when my family (parents, brother, sister + kids) + dh's family come over for supper - it is MIL's bday too. and depending on the years we chat, play cards, play board games, dance, etc... and then we have a midnight finger-food buffet. At midnight we wish each other a Happy New Year. We used to go for a ride in a horse-drawn cart but the guy sold his horses. We all love it. we'd go for about 1,5 hour ride. It was a great way to pass the evening. It is the big evening here of the year

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
It is just the five of us for New Years Eve this year, we stay home.
We talk about the year, share what we accomplished and what we would like to work on for the next.

We do snack type foods (wings, veggies and dip, crab or layered bean dip and chips), and fondue dessert (chocolate, with fruit and cookies or pound cake dippers).

We play long board games together, and finish the 'Christmas' puzzle if it is not already.

We do New Years wishes at 12, we do the traditional Kiss, but then say what we wish for the other person for the New Year (example: I wish you health, I wish you happiness...)

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
When I was a kid in the country we would eat snacks, play board games, and watch Dick Clark until midnight, then my Dad would shoot his gun off and we girls would ring bells out the front door. (is that redneck? LOL)

Now I usually fall asleep...until my neighbors (I'm still in the country) wake me up with their gunshots to welcome the New Year.

I'm a party animal, ain't I? lol

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I've never been a big New Years person. I believe on New Years Eve 1999 I was watching a movie with my boyfriend - now husband!

This year I will be going to the beach with my family to watch the sunset and have a few drinks and snacks. Maybe a short swim before it goes down since the water should be quite warm. I'll most likely be home by about 10pm though. There will probably be a countdown of some sort on TV (I'm a sucker for countdowns!). Maybe top songs of 2011 or top movies etc. It's generally pretty relaxed.

Last edited:

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
My boys are only 6 and 2, so staying up until midnight isn't really an option. We're planning to celebrate the New Year with them at noon instead - we'll have our own countdown, hats, noisemakers and a cake decorated like a clock with the hands just about to strike 12.

After the boys go to bed, DH and I will probably watch a movie, but I don't think I'll make it past 10 o'clock!

Tricia - I love your idea about the cards! I may try to work that in, too!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
We always celebrate with another couple. We will play hand and foot canasta and toast the new year in. We usually have some type of soup and snacks.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
As of right now we have no specific plans. I bought "kid wine" (sparkling red grape juice) for Christmas Eve so i'll let DD have that and we'll probably just do various snack foods for dinner. The kids will probably get to stay up later but I definitely won't make it until midnight unless DH and I are playing cards or Wii or something. A friend had mentioned having us over but I really just want to stay home so i'm hoping she forgets and doesn't call, horrible I know.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We actually have no plans. I'll probably do up snacks, we'll play the wii or board games and watch the ball drop at midnight.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
The last few years have been very quiet on NYE.

Supposedly this year my brother is having a party.

Problem is, their friends are all in their 20's and tend to be very immature. On Christmas night my sister wanted to leave because they were acting so crazy.

So, what will we do- who knows!

I DO know that I am excited to ring in 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also- On New Year's Day we usually have a meal- with blacked eyed peas for luck!!!!
I also like to watch the Rose Parade and the Rose Bowl.

Tricia- I think it would be cool to look at your answers a year from now or even 5 years from now! Maybe make a little time capsule for them.

Annie

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
For New Year's Eve we usually go over to my parents and have a littel bonfire in their fire pit. The kids love it! We'll have some beers and eat some snacks and watch the ball drop at midnight.

My parents are only a few minutes away so we won't have far to drive on a night when the crazies might be out.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Tricia- I think it would be cool to look at your answers a year from now or even 5 years from now! Maybe make a little time capsule for them.

Annie

Annie plan on putting them up & taking them out next year to reveiw:)

Haven't figured out yet why folks don't hang with people who are closer to their maturity level. Some 20 something yr olds are mature but most aren't enough for me to want to hang with KWIM?

Loving reading how everyone wants to spend their NYE.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We used to stay up and play board games, watch the countdown, and have snack-type foods. We also used to have watch-night services at church, but at some point, they stopped.

This year, I am keeping youngest DGS because he does not appreciate fireworks yet at 9 months so DS and DDIL can set some off for DGS5 and have some friends over with their children. It should be a quiet night for us. We will have church Sunday...that will make it hard to stay up late! lol

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
DGD is anxiously waiting the countdown to begin at 9(about 40 mins) lol After we read each hour I will try to post our answers here:)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Usuall_ everyone here is asleep before 12. We had a lng day w/ the extended family doing Christmas. We are just relaxing now but will prob let the boys try to stay up if they want. But not sure dh and I will make it

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO

1. What I love about my family is:9 p.m
DGD reply-try to help each other.
My reply-Spending enjoyable time with when they take time for me in their life...
Countdown is on will post the 10 oclock hr in an hr.

2. 1 thing I want to do with my family in 2012 is:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO

My reply-Spending enjoyable time with when they take time for me in their life...

2. 1 thing I want to do with my family in 2012 is:10 p.m
DGD reply-spend more time with them.
My reply-get together at least once a month..maybe for Sunday dinner..
Countdown still going will post the 11 oclock hr in an hr.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO

3. What I want to do for my family in 2012 is:11 few mins late playing cards lol
DGD reply-help them
My reply-be a good example in my thinking & actions
It will be a new year when I reply to this thread again.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO

3. What I want to do for my family in 2012 is:11 few mins late playing cards lol
DGD reply-help them
My reply-be a good example in my thinking & actions
It will be a new year when I reply to this thread again.

4. May God Bless my family with in 2012:12 a.m. 2012
DGD reply-good health & happiness
My reply-good health, good jobs, money we need for wants & needs, realization of how important family is, all being alive & well at the end of 2012

Happy New year everyone!