Newbie Cookie Help

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
I maybe wrong but this seems to be something the folk over in the US do well. Generally I buy biscuits...not cookies lol

Anyway I would like to try something new. I am not a novice baker by any means but I like to start of simple with some things.

Could you share some simple cookie recipes with me that I might be able to try out this year?

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
Do you have a any kind in mind?
Like:
Chocolate chip
Oatmeal raisin
Peanut butter
sugar cookie
Molasses
gingerbread men
snickerdoodle
I think those are the basic cookies most others cookies tend to have roots from one of those.

Chocolate chip is my favorite followed close by oatmeal raisin. The men in my family tend to favor the molasses or oatmeal raisin. My kids are happy with any kind.
What do you want to start with?
:turkey:

the only cookies I have really eaten over here are the supermarket ones which are chocolate chip and whilst they taste gorgeous they seem to have a laxative effect :eek:

Chocolate is good...i like chocolate. The oatmeal and raisin sound nice. The kids wouldn't eat them, maybe they would like the peanut butter. Generally anything we like they dont lol

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
Here are few recipes I have:

Molasses Chew Cookies
¾ cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup molasses
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground clove
2 ¼ cup flour
white sugar

In a large bowl cream together shortening, brown sugar, white sugar, molasses, egg, and vanilla. Add in all the dry ingredients until well mixed. Chill dough for several hours. Roll dough into balls, and then roll into white sugar. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes about 3 dozen.

Peanut butter cookies

½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup peanut butter
¼ cup butter softened
1 egg
1 ¼ cup flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup shortening

Mix sugars. Peanut butter, shortening, butter, and egg. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours.
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. With a fork dipped in flour flatten each ball with a crisscross pattern. They should be about ½ inch thick. Bake 9-10 minutes.
*You can flatten with the bottom of a glass if you don’t want a crisscross pattern.
*You can also place an unwrapped Hershey kiss on each cookie as soon as they come out of the oven. Make sure you press the kiss down hard enough for the cookie to come up on the sides a little bit. These are called peanut butter kisses.

Oatmeal Raisins
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup butter or margarine
¼ cup shortening
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 ½ cup oatmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup raisin

Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix all ingredients except oats, flour, and raisins. Stir in oats, flour and raisins. Drop by rounded spoonful about 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown.
·You can use ½ cup raisins and ½ cup chocolate chips instead of just raisins.
·You can also use craisins instead of raisins

:skate:

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
sifreynir said:
oh my...I haven't found the cookies yet but there was a rather nice chocolate bun, type thing with cream and things...oh I am very very very hungry now lol

Thank you
They do look yummy don't they!
here is the cookie recipe that is on the site:

Chocolate Ghirardelli Towne Cookies

2 Cups Butter Flavored Crisco
1 Cup White Sugar
2 Cups Brown Sugar
4 Eggs, room temp.
2 teaspoons each: vanilla, baking soda and salt
4 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
12 oz. Ghirardelli Chocolate Chunks or Chips

Cream sugars with Crisco until light in color and "fluffy" in texture. Add eggs and vanilla. Add soda and salt. Add flour. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.

Really, once you use this recipe, you will use it every single time! This makes about 5 dozen cookies, so you can bake up a batch and flash-freeze the other half to bake later. Enjoy!

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
Sorry about that, it is funny how one just figures everyone knows what your talking about. If there are any other ingredients your not sure of feel free to ask. The vanilla in the recipes an extract.
:slap:

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Spritz Butter Cookies
one box white cake mix
4 sticks of butter not margarine
3/4 cups flour

you can roll,
it spritz it,
or drop it
bake at 300% until lightly browned on the bottom of the cookies