November Turkey Day!!!!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I can't believe November 1st is here already...WOW...so Turkey Day this month is Thanksgiving!!!

Several questions:

1. What will you be doing...cooking a meal at your home or going somewhere?

2. Will you have the traditional turkey or something else?

3. Any new recipes you are planning to try?

Thought I'd start a different sort of thread for this month because it's THE DAY!!!!

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
I'll be making my turkey dinner here at home as i have a large dinner with everyone and each brings some kind of baked goodie and i'm always baking so there's always plenty for all.:santalol:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for starting this fun thread, Gingerbug! And what about you, too --- have you made your Thanksgiving plans yet? Our plans are depending on decisions not made yet by various beloved people.......... mumbling vaguely!

I AM thinking of hosting ONE early Thanksgiving dinner...... since the couple that host a huge gathering will be out of town this Thanksgiving -- and I would like to reciprocate and host them here (with various other nice people too.) Time for some serious thought! BECAUSE.... WE REALLY ARE IN THE SEASON NOW! HURRAY!

Last edited:

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
my daughter will be cooking dinner at her house as i have to work 1/2 day at cracker barrel. we will have the usual turkey and all the trimmings. my other daughter always plans anew sdessert. i cook for christmas only day of the year that cb is closed. looking fwd to the dressing and yams my favorite.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We will be going to my mom's house for Thanksgiving. We will have traditional turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, stuffing, homemade noodles, rolls, pumpkin pie, and chocolate chip pie. Also there will be a veggie tray and deviled eggs I believe.

We usually don't do new recipes on the holidays. I'm a very traditional gal and have to have what we always have. If something is different it really bothers me. Dishes can be added on but the basics HAVE to be there.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
We will be having a small Thanksgiving at my house with me and my sons;
I'm thinking a spiral cut ham cooked with pineapple and honey dejon mustard and brown sugar a recipe I found last year and it was sooooo good
still working out a menu; but both of my boys prefer ham and I don't care.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Heading to Syracuse with DH and DS to visit BIL,SIL, MIL, etc.

It will probably be a traditional dinner and I hope to do the baking - pecan, apple and pumpkin pies.

rjsmum

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
North Carolina
We will be heading OOT to FIL's, where I will cook the traditional Turkey dinner. YUMM. My alltime favorite meal. So pan gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, candied yams, peas, stewed fresh cranberries. Probably apple pie, pumpkin pie.
It will be here before you know it!

Nutcracker

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
I will be cooking at my Uncle's house, about 3 hours away, but I have to cook for all 28 that are coming.
We are having
smoked turkey
regular turkey
cornbread dressing
green beans
mashed potatoes
asparagus and pea casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole with brown sugar & pecan topping
giblet gravy
Sister Shubert's rolls
Pecan Pie
Chocolate pecan pie
pumpkin pie
fresh cranberry sauce
canned jellied cranberry sauce
whew!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Ohhh, my favorite holiday!!

I love Thanksgiving!! I mean, I seriously love it!! It's my favorite holiday.

Our holiday celebrations will start early, on the Saturday before Thanksgiving actually. That's when DH and I will host his side of the family for a traditional meal of turkey and dressing (stuffing to you non-southerners!), ham, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, green beans, a relish tray with pickles, cranberries and olives, and hot rolls. The rest of the meal will be pot-lucked by our guests. Who knows what they'll bring. I"m sure DH's older sister will bring chicken and dumplings and a pumpkin roll (you know the one, filled with a yummy cream cheese filling and sprinkled with powdered sugar...mmmm-love it!)and his younger one will bring baked beans-I'm pretty sure that's all she knows how to cook. LOL! We'll have various desserts potlucked also. I'll probably make a pumpkin ooey-gooey butter cake (my speciality!) and I'll also provide some appetizers in the form of cranberry spread and crackers, Thanksgiving Sunrise punch and some sort of dip with either crackers, chips or veggies-or all 3. We're expecting around 26 for that gathering.

Then, on Tuesday before Turkey Day, we'll eat another traditional turkey and dressing/ham/potatoes/etc meal at the church with our church family, then gather in the sanctuary to hear various musical "specials" presented. This is my favorite service of the year, and I"m just goofy about it. My kids will probably sing with their cousins. 4 years ago my middle son, B, sang with my BFF-they sang 4 verses of Jesus Loves Me-it was precious. The next year, DH, the boys and I all sang "Standing on the Promises of God". It was not precious. I cannot sing and was so self conscious-but everyone seemed to really enjoy it (the little boys had the microphones, so it was all good!) Then last year the two little boys and my niece and nephew sang "Silent Night" together, and it was precious again.

Then, on Thanksgiving Day itself, I'll be up at the crack of dawn, anxiously awaiting the "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade", without which I cannot prepare my Thanksgiving food offering to take to my mom's for ANOTHER Traditonal Turkey and Dressing meal. Sounds like a lot of food, and it is, but man, is it fun!!! I'll be taking cranberry spread and crackers, hot cider, pumpkin ooey-gooey cake (my speciality, you know) and whatever else I'm assigned by the chief cook and bottle washer, my Mom. For the past several years I've made the dressing and last year I took on the ham. Not sure this year what she'll need me to do. Sometimes we have new dishes, sometimes just the tried and true! We usually have around 45-50 for this meal.

Aren't you thrilled to hear all about my holiday plans? Lol...if anyone is still reading and hasn't nodded off yet!! LOL!

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I'll be at home hosting our Thanksgiving dinner. We will have the traditional menu of turkey, stuffing, candied yams, mashed potatoes and gravy, peas, fresh and canned cranberry sauce, pumpkin bread, cranberry bread, rolls, apple cider, green salad... then there is dessert!
I can't wait!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN

We are going to be going down to "Cousin" Linda's (I think she's DH's mom's cousin???) for a dinner with her and her daughters and their husbands and kids. DMIL and LittleBIL and the one local DBIL and his wife will also be going down as well.

Cousin Linda is a GREAT cook and I am looking forward to the turkey and dressing (it's killer). As to the other side dishes, I'm not sure what we'll have but I am sure it will be good!

I am responsible for bringing Herb Cream Cheese Puff Pastry Crescents and a cheesecake.

I usually just make Southern Living's New York style cheesecake and use a can of home canned cherries mixed with one can of store bought cherry pie filling on top.

I'm toying with the idea of making a different type of cheesecake, but I will probably just play it safe and make what I know this year. I don't want to spend the extra $ on testing the recipe ahead of time which I would really feel I have to do - imagine the horror of a non yummy cheesecake presented to the family. :) Well I would be horrified, they probably wouldn't be!

SantasCart

Retire Member
Nov 17, 2008
Los Angeles
I can't believe November 1st is here already...WOW...so Turkey Day this month is Thanksgiving!!!

Several questions:

Thought I'd start a different sort of thread for this month because it's THE DAY!!!!
I am heading home this year yay! Ready for family and food :) If you are looking for a new recipe to try this year you should see http://www.safeway.com/IFL/Grocery/Thanksgiving its the 2 hour turkey which was tested and retested by culinary experts till it was fool proof and to make sure the timing was perfect, the skin crispy and golden, and the flavor tender and juicy. The secret is high-heat roasting, check out the link for a step by step guide and a how to video :) Happy Thanksgiving!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I can vouch for this! High-heat roasting REALLY works well! A number of years ago, the NYTimes Food Section did a feature on high-heat roasting. We tried it that Thanksgiving -- with GREAT results! Delicious - and the turkey looked beautiful!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
There'll just be four of us this year, and dinner will be turkey breast (none of us likes dark meat), dressing, roasted root vegetables, molded cranberry salad, green salad, sweet potatoes, rolls, and pumpkin pie. I like to make a dessert with a hollowed-out pumpkin -- you throw in nuts, raisins, cranberries, chopped apple, brown sugar (I substitute sugar-free syrup -- we're a family of diabetics), put the lid on the pumpkin, and cook it in the oven. Then you serve it over ice cream -- YUM!! However, all the pumpkins in this area were gone quite awhile before Halloween, so I was out-of-luck. It's back to canned pumpkin pie -- a small sliver.

SamiLea

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2008
California
It will be just the 3 1/2 of us here this year. I say 1/2 because the baby isn't eating much solid foods yet, but will enjoy some mashed potatoes, lol. Our turkey, while traditional to us, because we always have it, is anything but. We only eat a cajun-seasoned deep fryed turkey. With that we will have mashed potatoes, gravy, potato salad, devilled eggs, fried corn, rolls and for desert, pecan pie and chocolate chip cookies. Those are our favorites so I decided to leave out a lot of things we normally have since no one else is celebrating with us. I am not trying new recipes for Thanksgiving, but will starting the week after when I begin my holiday cookies. I am so excited.