Odd things to clean

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was working with some of my sewing items. When I went to put away my tape measure I decided it needed cleaning. Apparently it had never crossed my mind to clean it before now. It was very dirty. It's a plastic covered cloth one. No idea of who long I've had it.

In talking with my doctor the other day, he said the germiest things on a doctor are his tie and rings. He doesn't wear either at work now. I clean my rings often now.

How often do you clean your earrings? Another thing not done often.

So what strange and odd items have you cleaned lately?

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
good question but I tend to shower w/ my earrings on so I guess they get clean then. But I have put them as well as my diamonds into hydrogen peroxie and it goes a good job of cleaning in the nooks of a ring.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm sure my rings are filthy from everyday wear and lotion and such. I never take them off except to do dishes. They are due this month for inspection and they'll clean them there.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I use hydrogen peroxide too. And I use my water pic on them. The water pic makes a mess in the bathroom but sure cleans the rings and earrings very nicely.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Do ties not get washed with the rest of your clothes? lol, DH never wears one, so I've never thought about it.
I cleaned my knitting needles about a month ago....ick.
Another thing we tend to forget about is doorknobs ---incredibly germy places.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Some of the 'odd' things I clean:

Outside garbage cans and recycle bins - once a month
The toothbrush holder, toilet paper holder - weekly

When I do the HGP I also think of things like: the pull cords on the table lamps, the cords on the appliances, legs on beds or sofa!, inside the mailbox, ironing board cover and iron, little used books on bookshelf, sewing machine, clothes line

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I just noticed how dusty the inside of the mailbox was this afternoon. Didn't dawn on me to clean inside. Thanks

I do the garbage can outside too. Other wise it starts to smell. We line it with a bag and toss in bags from inside the house but still it needs to be cleaned once in awhile. IMO anyway.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Some odd things I clean

My cell phone
My car keys
My dogs paws, it grosses me out for him to walk through where he has gone to the bathroom then come into the house so I wipe them with an antibacterial baby wet wipe before he comes back inside.

Just the other day I cleaned the fly swatter

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have an old toothbrush and a travelers size tube of toothpaste that I use on rings. I also use jewelry cleaner on them and my necklaces. Amazing of the stuff that gets on necklaces. Lotion, perfume, sweat. I put my earrings in per. almost every time before I put them in. I clean the computer keyboard with wipes, and then my inside wastecans I soak with bleach every once in awhile. I keep sacks (like Wal-Mart) in the smaller cans sometimes like 7 or 8 and then you pull the top one out and burn. I clean door handles to rooms, and fridge handles with wipes often. I also clean combs and hair brushes. I clean out the hair and then soak in a sink with bleach water and then I rinse and rinse and soak in hot plain water to get bleach out.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Lana, A lot of people do not wash their hair brushes and combs. I remember my mom even had a little brush from Fuller Brush that was for cleaning combs.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
The telephone, mouse on the computer and keyboard.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
car keys - I have never thought of it! Now I need to go clean my keys

Remote controls and the boys game console controllers are needing some attention too ;)

I like to use some tea tree oil to clean the hair brushes, my hair clips and cloth hair elastics