Organize now week p Feb 23

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Can you believe it's the last week of February? Goodness it's too soon for that.
So what are we thinking about the book so far? Do you want me to conitinue it? Should I keep posting one per week or maybe 2 weeks at a time so just posting twice a month? Please give me your ideas.

Ok here we are for week 9 Organize your files

Its easy for paperwork to get out of hand. The key is to stay on top of it. You need to find a hope for all your papers and then it's up to you to put it away.

*If you are on top of this and already have a filing system take some time to clean it out.

* get all your papers. Go room by room don't start with a giant pile. Toss any trash. Remember that 80% of the papers you file you will never look at again to think hard before you file.

*Create a filing system. Remember if it's a smaller system (a portable file folder over a file cabinet) you can take it room to room or even in front of the TV to do two things at once.

*She suggest using a straight tab color coded system(where all the tabs are right behind each other) But do what works.. Some categories may be bank statements (consider getting one digital copes of these to save paper) credit card statements, pay stubs, school info (a separate file for each kid) home or auto insurance, health insurance, tax info...

*Start filing. Just pick up each one and do something with it. If you have broad categories then you can file more quickly

Once a month file loose papers laying around
every 3-6 months go through the files and toss
Yearly-every January check on your tax info and purge any previous year tax info into a different long term storage place.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm usually pretty good about filing papers but I really need to take the time and go through the files and shred things that I no longer need and clean them up. I do have a medical/dental file for each child as well as a school file for each child. I have a pet file, truck, house, taxes, bank...others I can't remember.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Me too. It motivated me to start deep cleaning in my Scrap Studio.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I sat down with the small filing box I have but don't use all the time. I found papers from when DS14 was born and some work papers and letters from DSs work from 10 yrs ago. In the trash it went. Refiled some different stuff though so it will be more organized. Felt good to toss a lot of that stuff.