Ornament exchange brunch?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Sorry Jana...saw this earlier but didn't get a chance to respond.

Last year I did an ornament exchange brunch and it was fab...even though it was during an ice storm and all the electric went off...we have an all electric home...in fact people stayed ALL day and we played dominoes and made hot chocolate on the camp stove.

We had a theme: Winter Wonderland (Mother Nature must have taken us at our word)
I hung snowflakes from the ceiling and used snowmen decor....and found these cute ice cube ornaments I used as place card holders. Lots of silver and white!

For the exchange we set a price limit and everyone brought an ornament and then we just did a grab bag sort of exchange.

You can either set a price limit and have any kind of ornament....or you can set a price limit and have a themed exchange (like everyone bring a snowman ornament, or a Gingerbread one etc.)

This year our ornament exchange is going to be A Christmas Tea...so it will be sort of English Cottage like...not sure about decor etc yet. For the exchange the Ornament needs to be something that starts with a T (get it...Tea...T...lol) So the exchange will be on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon around 4ish. We will have cucumber sandwiches, some cookies, and a cheese ball, as well as a couple other things. I will serve Cranberry Tea (hot) and another flavored hot tea...as well as a cold tea also.

I am making the invitations like little tea cups!

Hope this helps some....come on MHH members ...let's give this gal some more ideas!!!

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Never been to an ornament exchange brunch but after hearing anout yours Ginger it makes me wanna have one...LOL :haha:

Sounds wonderful... Thats why I love it here all this talk of Christmas makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside ::eek:rnament:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I've never done this but I remember reading reading Ginger's earier posts and thinking how wonderful it sounded! You could do a number of different things-I imagine. You could have everyone bring an ornament and then play dirty Santa(yankee swap). If your friends are crafty you could have everyone bring supplies to make enough ornaments that everyone gets one(best done with a small number). There is an ornament card that Basket posted a link to-
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/crafts?page ... ftid=11900
That would make a cute invitation! Sounds fun!

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
We have done a few ornament exchanges but never a brunch. :grin:

We did several famly style ones in the evening with everyone bringing a christmas snack to share. My home was decorated as I always do for Christmas. We had each adult bring a wrapped ornament. After we spent some time snacking and visiting we played a game. We had numbers written on pieces of paper and folded so they couldn't see the number. Each adult took a number. Then we started with number 1, they choose a wrapped ornament and opened it. After everyone ooohhhed and aahhhhhed over that ornament the person who had number 2 choose and opened their ornament. BUT #2 then had the option of keeping the ornament they choose OR trading it for #1. The same for #3, the could keep theirs OR trade for any of the previous ornaments. A single ornament can only be stolen 2 times, the 3rd person to own it gets to keep it.

It is a lot of laughs!!!!!!! We even had some grouchy Uncles who looked foreward to the fun every year :haha:

The I have also done some at church. It is usually done the same way, but I have done the "Left , Right" story and they got a kick out of that also. A a matter of fact, we just did a Christmas In July party at church and we did a small white elephant gift exchange and I used the "left , right " story. Everyone had fun!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I love this idea! I think a tea would be really fun. I love tea parties!

I love hosting brunch...serve french toast casserole, farmer's strata, bacon or sausage, fruit salad, cinnamon rolls, and have cookies out for dessert.

My question is...what price limit do you use?

christmas3

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
I love this idea. I will have to make notes in my Christmas notebook. Thanks ladies for the idea.

Christmas3
:package: :package: :package: