Outside decorations

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

What do you use outside of the house?

• Total voters

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
So what kind of things do you use to decorate the outside of the house?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I used to have a snowman inflatable but he bit the dust last year, as well as my reindeer and lighted candy canes. So it was just lights last year and probably will be this year as well since we live on post. I really want to find some battery operated candles to put in the windows. I've always wanted to put them in every window. I read a story a long time ago when I was younger about someone putting candles in the window so their loved one could find their way home. Being a military family with deployments and separations, I always envision putting them in the windows so DH can always find his way home.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
JEss I have heard that also. .There is a house up the street that always has them and I like it.

I guess I should have added garland or something on the poll. I have lit garlands on the porch.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We have lights, candles in the windows, wreathes on the windows and doors and I'm hoping to add lighting to the trees this year. We'll see what the weather holds.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I decorate my balcony with lights, garland and a small tree.

Outside my front door I have a small tree with little Christmas bears and gift boxes sitting under it. Also I use lights, garland and bows around the railing and door frame.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I only have one inflatable and it goes outside the french doors from "The man cave". It's Santa on a Harley and DH's bar man cave is all done in Harley so it's cool to look at at night and best of all, it's in the back yard. LOL

In the front yard I usually have:
Lighted wreaths on every window
The porch swing is adorned with Christmas pillows and a Christmas throw
The poles are wrapped in ribbons and bows
Poinsetta's surround the base of the mailbox (rural) with an arrangement on top
Crepe Myrtle tree is lit up in white lights with faux presents wrapped in tablecloth plastic at the base.
Icle white lights along front roof line
Potted artificial lighted Christmas trees in between garage stalls

Last edited:

snowgoose

MHH Member
I have white lights on a couple of shrubs in the front garden, an old sled piled with holly and decorated with white lights by the front door and I make wreaths for both front and back doors. I also have two candle arches in the windows - one upstairs and one downstairs.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
We have candles in the windows (the kind that come on automatically when it's dark), a wreath on the front door and my childhood sled propped against the wall tied with greenery and a bow to match the wreath. DS6 and I usually make cutout snowflakes for the small windows on either side of the front door (8 windows in all) and a small lighted village above the front door...there is a shelf with a half moon window (I think that's what it is called)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We definitely have to have the Holiday Tour of Homes this year again. I want to see all these beautiful sounding decorations!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We do lights in the front tree. Ejagno... I'm guessing it is not a cold, windy winter that you have if you can put pillows & a throw outside? ;) Here it is so cold and windy everything better be hung tight or else all flies away. dh adds a string of lights on the outside stairs.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Lights in the windows, and some lights on within the evergreen garland on the porch. Wreaths on the doors and more evergreens in the urns.