Party Prop Closet

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Several years ago I heard someone on a tv show mention a prop closet. I'm pretty sure it was Christopher Lowell on his first show. He suggested that you set aside an area in your home and collect items to use for entertaining. I've done that for years now, and I thought I'd share this idea with you. Thanksgiving is a great time to add to your prop closet because a lot of the fall stuff will be on sale, and it's good to get things on sale!! :friendly: Plus, for a lot of us, it's the beginning of a big entertaining period, and being prepared is the key to great entertaining! :applause:

A prop closet, like a gift closet, does not have to be an actual closet. It can be any space that you can set aside to store some essential items. I actually use three locations for my prop closet-the bottom shelves of my pantry and china cabinet, and a shelf in a cabinet. The key is keeping like things with like things...candles and candlesticks together; tablecloths, napkins and placemats together; etc.

In my prop closet I have:
*lengths of fabrics in solids and prints, most about a yard each, picked up at after holiday sales, etc. A yard of fall fabric can quickly become a Thanksgiving runner for a buffet, just by folding in the raw edges, placing it in the center of the table or counter and sprinkling some faux (or real) fall leaves around it. I also have some Christmas patterned fabric, Easter, Halloween, patriotic, etc. I never pay more than a dollar a yard for my fabric for my prop closet. I also use the fabric for a tablecloth, for covering lifts and levels when staging multi-level tablescapes and for just a pop of color on a table.
*lifts and levels. These can be anything-small blocks of wood, squares of styrofoam or other sturdy material, or even small bowls that you can turn upside down, cover with fabric and stack serving plates on to give the table height and dimension. I love to have a multi-level serving buffet. You can put so much more food on a table when you go UP with it! Also, centerpieces look fabulous when they are elevated, and again, it leaves much more room for the food!
*candles and candlesticks. I almost exclusively stick to glass candlesticks. I buy them at dollar stores for $1 each or less sometimes and they look exactly like crystal. They come in various heights and sizes, so you can vary your look. One year for Thanksgiving I used terra cotta pots, the small ones (I think they are 6"), spray painted them gold and put a chunk of florist foam in each one and covered the foam with Spanish moss. Then I plunked down a mini pumpkin on top of the foam, cut a piece out of the top of the pumpkin and put a taper candle in each. I used red, gold and amber candles, and marched five pots down the center of the table. Then I added some pepper berries (faux) and scattered some faux leaves all over the table. It was really pretty, and almost everything came from my prop closet. I didn't have to buy a thing!!
*White dishes. I have about 30 white dishes in about 5 or 6 different patterns! I never pay any attention to the fact that they don't match...the point is they are all white, and that unifies the entire table. Same for flatware and glasses. If they have a common element, such as color or style, it works!!
*Napkins. I keep a stack of white fabric napkins on hand, along with rolls of colored ribbon, faux mini gourds, leaves pumpkins, etc to make napkin rings with. Sometimes I add some charms or beads to a length of elastic thread and make napkin rings that double as party favors/bracelets. I also keep packages of colored and holiday printed paper napkins and paper dessert sized plates. I pick these up at after holiday sales, as well.

My space is really small, but because I store like things with like things, it works well. I'm interested to see if any of you have a prop closet. What's in it? What are you looking to add? How has it paid off for you?

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
Thanks for sharing this. I love this idea. I am trying to organize my apartment and am looking for ways to store things.
I have candles, holders, tablecloths, runners, placemats and other items.
What I have done so far, is to put all my props in totes according to season. Candles in one, placemats, tablecloths, runners in another tote
I love the idea of the fabric selection. :friendly:

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Wow...thanks for posting this. I've always worried that I no longer have enough matching dinnerware. (I had 20 matching plates at one time, and I'm down to 3!!!!)
With this, I can buy some plain white dinnerware, and then dress up the table in other ways accordingly......brilliant! Thanks again.
(It has been taking me forever to find more dinnerware, I've been unable to find a set I really can live with.)

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
The fabric collection sounds familiar! My version of it is that I use basic colors for my tablecloths, and then use contrasting small square tablecloths (up to 54" sq.) on the diagonal in the middle of the table with the ends pointing toward each end and dangling from the center. Some of them I've bought, and some I've made. My husband was in the Navy for 30 years, and I needed an elegant look on the cheap! I have many, many cloth napkins -- paper napkins seem to me to be a waste, especially since I have a surplus of quilting leftovers! These are in drawers in my dining room. I keep seasonal props in large Rubbermaid bins in the attic, each marked by the season. I also have a large collection of brass candlesticks, which I store/display on top of my hutch. For fall, I decorate the dining table with faux swags of twigs, berries, leaves, pommegranates (Is that spelled right?), pumpkins, and acorns. At Thanksgiving, I replace them with a large wooden turkey decoy, acorns, and autumn leaves. I use terra cotta pot dishes with pumpkin-colored pillar candles in them. I use turkey and gourd salt and pepper shaker sets.

I, too, like to serve food on different levels. It adds space, and gives importance to certain dishes. My cooking may not be that great, but it looks good!! :friendly:

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
I HAVE SO MUCH ENTERTAINING STUFF THAT I FORGET WHERE IT IS AND IT DOES NOT GET USED! IT DRIVES ME NUTS. THIS IS A GREAT IDEA. I WILL KEEP IT IN MIND WHEN WE BUILD OUR NEW HOME...WON'T BE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS THOUGH. LOVE GETTING THESE IDEAS PRE-BUILDING!

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
That's a really neat idea. I currently house my "props" in cabinets, with a drawer for each holiday or season. I hadn't thought of gathering props as lifts, etc. I just usually scour the house. Storing these items for this specific use would certainly make life easier!

This would also present the opportunity to layer your tablecloths like Vicky explained (and photographed). I love this idea. I'll be looking at fabrics differently!

Thanks for sharing this great idea! :applause:

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Greetings all,

I stash all of my entertaining supplies in my butler's pantry - I do not have the butler, just the pantry. In this area I keep:
*china, silver, waterford
*all white buffet plates
*buffet cutlery & serving cutlery
*candle sticks & dinner candles
*cut-glass glasses (sherry, wine & champagne)
*napkin rings
*serving pieces, platters, etc
*coffee urn & tea service
*wine & liquor
*one white linen cloth and 36 matching napkins

In our third floor storage area I keep 4 large seasonal stacking totes. In these I keep:
*Spring *Summer *Winter *Autumn decorative and party items; candles, candle holders, ornamental items etc. I have a three drawered storage container in which I store my linens; table cloths & napkins.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I found a good deal on black plates the other day...I think they were about $10 for service for 4....so I'm thinking about getting two sets of four to mix in with the white, since I've added so much black to my kitchen. I can just see it...black and white checked table cloth with alternating black and white dishes...oh, I think I'm going to have to have them!! Now, can I convince DH that I've had them for a long time and didn't just buy them? Hmmm....if I put them in the trunk of the car for a few days.....then I wouldn't be storyin'...might just be able to pull it off!! LOL! ::candyheart:

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
For me it is the cooking utensils I have a special closet for. We are a family of 34 when we are all together. ( about once a month, and more in the summer) I have 2 big roasters, 2 three gallon drink containers, several trays and large pots and large crock pots. Everyone lives close, so they stay here in a cabinet that requires a 5ft step ladder to get to. My husband and I get them down and leave on the front porch on wednesday before we get together, and on the way home from church wed night, everyone comes and gets what they need to cook in. I make the drinks and usually the meat. After the meal, the leftovers go into divided dishes (like for tv dinners, everyone brings their own) and we get the ladder out and put everything away. I must say cathymac, I must get the props organized.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
After Creativemom started the thread about keeping party food on hand for impromptu gatherings, I went back and reread this great thread! These ideas certainly kick it up a notch, Bam!!! (Thank you, Emeril!!!)

My poor feeble brain is making little wavy connections between the idea of food (not perishable) on hand -- and party props on hand..... Maybe grabbing one of those lengths of fabric to throw over the outside table, before you put down the chips and dip. And grabbing a couple of candlesticks when you grab the drinks to set out.

More fun, more beauty, more hospitality.... not more work...not more money.

Being on Magical Holiday Home sure adds a lot to life! (Thank you, Gingerbug, and mods!!!) bunnylove

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
I love the idea of a prop closet. I think I will gaher all my stuff and see what all I have ;-) and what I need. OK more lists needed. :idea: