Question 2

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
To follow Houself's excellent notion earlier this week, I am going to post the questions this morning up to today's question.

How much emphasis do our Christmas activities place on the spiritual side of Christmas?

In our family, while we do a lot of secular and fun activities, we do a lot of things that are more spiritual as well.

DD always wants to go see the "Live Crib" which is run by the Farmer's Association outside the Lord Mayor's house in the capital city. It is mostly made up of animals (1-2 each of sheep, goats, pigs, chickens, and a cow) - but the baby in his crib in the manger are at the end of the line. It raises money for a children's charity too.

I always try to go to a carol service (some years we get to the open air one outside the Lord Mayor's House, but there are lots of lovely ones in the various churches locally too).

On Christmas Eve, the youngest (DD) lights the Christmas Candle, which is put in the window to let weary travelers know that there is a place for them here even if no room at the Inn. When we do this ceremony, we always spend some time thinking and talking about all the blessings we've had the past year, and remembering relatives who are no longer with us, and say a decade of the rosary. That is followed by putting out DD's stocking for Santa, and food for Santa and the Reindeers - so a mix of secular and religious.

We go to Mass on Christmas morning without fail. And spend time afterwards looking at the crib in the church and talking about Baby Jesus' birthday. There are various services we attend over the whole season as well.

And it is not all overtly religious either - partly about the spirit of the season. So we work together on preparations - both to work together and share, and avoid any 1 person getting overloaded. We donate clothes and toys that are still good but no longer needed by us to family or charity, we give a lot of food to charity too (a number of collections done locally, school do hampers for families they know in need, and I give 2 hampers to the local St Vincent De Paul to distribute as well). And we usually find a local "Giving Tree" that DD can go and buy a present for another child who may not get one - we give the money, but DD does the choosing for a child so it does bring it home to her.

But it is not all spiritual - we still do lots of things that are the more modern commercial meaning of Christmas too.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Here it is not very spiritual. we do go to Mass on Christmas Eve and have a nativity set out. We donate to food banks too.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
We celebrate advent at home...we light the candles each night and do a reading. My older DS goes to PREP classes on Sundays (religious education) so they usually have lots of activities during the season - service projects, caroling and a live nativity/Christmas pageant.

Since I was a child, we have always gone to Mass on Christmas Eve.

Wings - I love the Christmas Candle idea!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
How much emphasis do our Christmas activities place on the spiritual side of Christmas?

When I was younger my parents always took my brother and I to church for Christmas Eve service. In my adult years I must admit I haven't gone for a very long time.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Unfortunately, mostly secular. I am really the only one in my family that would like it to focus on the Spiritual/Religious side.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Thank you Winged One!!!

Most of our celebration focuses on spiritual. We have an Advent Wreath in our home, do readings and reflections.

That being said, we are a relaxed family - it's just part of our celebration, we use symbolism and tradition ... from our cookies to music, there is Faith.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm going to say that all of our celebration and holiday focus on the secular, fun stuff and not the religious. Neither DH or I are religious in any way, shape or form. I didn't grow up going to church on Christmas or any other holiday unless we were visiting my grandparents, it just wasn't something we did.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Mrs Soup, I think that from what you generally post, you may not be terribly religious but you certainly have the spirit of sharing and helping. That's why a lot of what I focused on is not necessarily religious observation but the more general spiritual side of sharing and caring for humanity and seeing the beauty in life all around us.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Oh yes, we are definitely into the sharing and giving and helping those less fortunate. I guess I didn't think of that as a spiritual side, just as what we always do.