Question 4

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
What activities are particularly important to our family at Christmas? To myself?

I talked earlier about the Christmas Candle - the preparations on Christmas Eve are important. Making cookies for Santa (either from scratch, or slicing and baking dough from a half batch I freeze earlier in December, just in case we are short of time). Having a nice meal just the 3 of us together (au pairs are always gone home and DH is always here). And then lighting the candle and having our own little ceremony about the season, putting out the stockings, and getting the hamper with new PJs and slipper socks for us all, hot chocolate for a bedtime drink, and a Christmassy bath bomb for a bath for DD - before she goes to have that relaxing bath, put on new Pjs and head for bed nice and calmly.

Mass on Christmas morning is also very important.

We like to do some Christmassy activities as a family in the run up to the holidays - last year DH was away but every other year he has been here as we went to visit Santa as a family. And DD always sees him at my office as well (the social club has a party for all DCs of employees) and that is where she will get a present from him. This year, we are going on our 3rd trip on the Santa Steam Train, which is magical.

And decorating the house, especially the tree, is very much a family activity. Choosing it, and then deciding which decorations we can fit on it (we have far too many), and making it look nice together.

For myself, I like to catch up with some friends if time allows - usually over working lunches but maybe a couple of early bird dinners. And I make the effort to go to the party organized by the social club at work - where I just dance my cares away on the dance floor and ignore the hierarchy.

I also like to have 1 night where, once DD is in bed and while DH is out somewhere (he also has a couple of nights out), I get all my work done and then make myself a drink (perhaps a G&T, or just a lemonade), light the fire, and lie on the sitting room floor with just the tree lights and firelight, reflecting on the year just gone and the year to come. My own little oasis of peace. I have been doing this since I was 16 and babysitting my siblings while my parents were at their Christmas parties together - siblings all watching tv in 1 room, so I had the other one to myself.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'd say going to my mom's for Christmas Eve and spending Christmas day with the whole family is pretty important to us.
Then, on NY's EVE both sides of the family come to my house for supper and the evening.

The elves are a very appreciated tradition as well as the advent calendar. Love watching some Christmas movies while decorating the tree.

Like Wings said some quiet time with the christmas tree lights on & the fireplace going is just the best.

We used to have a horse-drawn carriage ride a few years back every NY's Eve... loved it! but the horses were sold.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
My mother's side of the family has an Annual Reunion in the middle of December. I love that the boys know all of my cousins (42 on that side) and their children. Each parent brings a wrapped gift for their children and Santa (played by one of the great uncles) arrives and hands them out. It is always a very special afternoon.

Since my boys are still little, we do lots of "Santa" stuff...going to see him at the mall, we once had breakfast with Scuba Santa (he was in the shark tank) at the Aquarium, a special Santa train ride, going to see the Gingerbread House competition at Peddler's Village and A Very Furry Christmas at Sesame Place. We don't do all of it every year, but I try to rotate.

My favorite activities are caroling and the Christmas concert at our church. I love all kinds of Christmas music, but the last few years I've found myself drawn to the spiritual ones...I just find them very peaceful, joyful and soothing during the rush. Oh and I LOVE Raspberry hot chocolate! YUM!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
What activities are particularly important to our family at Christmas? To myself?

For my family it's being together. We try to get together as much as we can through the year however someone's always missing (other commitments). But Christmas Eve is the one day out of the year where everyone gets to see each other. It's like a code of some sort. I mean everyone is at my house. They love to see all the decorations although some of them joke me about it. I know if one year they came over and the decorations weren't up they would want to know what's wrong. Hahaha They enjoy the fellowship, singing, laughing, dancing and of course lots of eating.

For me it's everything, the prepping, the shopping, the cooking and baking, wrapping gifts, decorating. Everything! The holidays always makes me feel really happy. And although there will be a few members missing this year (my grandma, uncle and nephew), I will think of the past years and smile because I got to spend some of the most wonderful times with them.

Last edited:

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I like to make the day we decorate the tree into a big deal. Everyone helps (including the little ones) & we eat snacks & make it like a mini party.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
DH and I host a yearly Hanukkah party with home made latkes (potato pancakes) We invite all our friends, Jewish and not...we light the menorah and everyone gets at least a small gift.
This year it will be on Dec. 7 if you're in the area...

On Christmas day we open our stocking gifts and go to Christmas dinner at the home of the same friends we've visited for over 35 years. My friend and I distribute the gifts and we catch up on the past year.

Things have changed a bit since DS went to Dallas last year with DGF and will probably do so again this year...but these two traditions still last..

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
The setting up our tree, wrapping gifts to our boys, and the family dinner are key for us. These are the things we do together, and hold the greatest memories.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
The elves are something we all look forward to. The tree decorating is usually done by the kids (I hand them the ornaments) and I go back later and spread things out a bit when they clump them together in spots. The baking is something I love to do and I like it when the kids will decorate the sugar cookies so all I have to worry about is the rolling, cutting and baking. We also love to drive around and look at the lights.