Question 6

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
How important is an elaborately decorated house, homemade gifts or food, to my feelings about Christmas?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Decorations, gifts, food - are key in that order .... but not elaborate decor, gifts are few and often purchased, and food is traditional favourites but simple.

I think all three add up to the holidays, an important part - but nothing big grand or elaborate.

We do homey well. :)

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Decorations are very important to me, especially for Christmas. It's the one time of year that you go all out to celebrate the most important birthday ever with lights, candles, gifts, food and cheer.

Most of my gifts are store bought as time is an issue but I try to make sure that the gift is personalized and very practical.

I am a Cajun and married to a Cajun Chef on top of owning a restaurant....which means our whole lives revolve around food normally so Christmas is really extra special and of course food is at the center of this important celebration. I do like to prepare home baked goodies.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We don't do elaborate anything. But decorations, food, etc. is all important to my holiday otherwise it would be like any other day.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
We do like to decorate a tree and a few other decorations around the house - but we don't have a Santa's grotto effect. I really feel Christmassy when the tree is up though, especially on real tree years (we put up an artificial one on years we will be away over Christmas itself - so that includes this year).

Gifts are important - but more in the giving than receiving. I like to get things that match the person - personality, needs, likes. I love to craft gifts but don't usually have enough time. But I make sure I have something for everyone on my (long!) list. And I love whatever I get in return from whoever gives me something - I don't expect something from everyone on that list.

Foods are important. We don't tend to go overboard that much - but we do like to do a proper turkey dinner. I get a pack of amaretti biscuits as a treat to me. We have some seasonal treats bought, and we make some cookies and mince pies - but we also have plenty of nice but healthy options too (so chips to go with hummus or dips, but carrots sticks too, and bowls of olives to nibble).

If I have time to do things homemade, that is great. But the way my life is and the pace it moves at, I know I won't always get that chance. And often, taking small nuggets of free time to relax and unwind instead are more important to keep me moving forwards - there are plenty of nice shop bought options which won't "spoil Christmas", and having a more wound up and stressed me is far more likely to spoil the holidays than not having HM mince pies and cookies or 3 different stuffings...

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Decorating and crafting with DD is very essential for us. I love this kind of being together, listening to christmas songs and do christmas activities. I will involve DS as soon as possible into this. :)
But we also have other activities in christmas season as well. So we go to advent markets with the kids or visit an exhibition with handmade nativity sets.

Also christmas food (especially cookies) are a MUST for us. :) Gifts are just for our kids.

But we do everything without pressure. Quality is more important than quantitity.

Chilli

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
now livng here i'm going to have what i call a mountian christmas decor made from items i found on the mountian like birch,pine/pinecones,my tree just a simple cabin country christmas,as it's about the spirit that lives within our hearts.I will be baking from scratch those old recipes of cookies,breads and a few sweet treats.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I enjoy having the decorations and tree up, and the outside lights on the house. Really adds to the festive feeling.

To me the food is one of the most important parts of the holiday. We have traditional favorite foods, egg nog, baked goods and cookies!

I have to make the family calendar again this year. I didn't last year and everyone made their disappointment known, lol. I make the pages for each month like a scrapbook (use a computer program) and put in the birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc. so it is very useful but I had run out of creative steam. I asked last year for the kids in the family to send me anything I could use like photos or pictures they made, or even scrapbook pages they made that I could scan but no one did so no one got a calendar.

I also need to make a few copies of the family cookbook for the kids in the family who are now old enough to get it. That's about it for the craft gifts. Besides sending baked goods.

Like Jessica said, if we didn't do anything special it would feel like just another day.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
We decorate just about every room...I guess that's elaborate! ;) The boys love it. My favorite room is the dining room...the 5ft tree has white lights and my grandmother's crystal ornaments with my snowflakes. Something about it just makes me smile!

As for food...generally I cook for Thanksgiving and DH cooks Christmas dinner. My brother and his wife cook Christmas Eve dinner and my mom & Aunt are responsible for Christmas breakfast...all at my house. I love to bake and used to give away several dozen plates of cookies, which I really enjoy, but in recent years I haven't had the time. I tried hosting a cookie exchange, but while fun, it just wasn't the same. Maybe this year I'll have time for baking!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I love my home when it's decorated for Christmas. I always have. It always makes it feel so "welcoming" for me. It's not elaborate, but it's what I like.
I love making gifts with my grandkids & have done a few home-made gifts for the kids occastionally.
Sugarplum, I made a family calander one year. I'd love to see a pic of the one you made. I also put in birthdays & anniversaries along with a picture of the person. What program did you use?
Last year I made an ornament for dh's 3 children out of his flannel shirts. I saw it as something they would always have, a shirt he wore, with their memories of him always wearing his flannel shirts. My thoughts, especially last year when his health began failing & we made so many trips to the ER was something tangible they could touch & see each year.
Christmas food is also something important. Making cookie cutter cookies (years ago with my kids, now with the grandkids) & our ham with pink gravy. Years ago, I used to be able to look forward to my Nana's goody box of food. It is something I very much miss with her gone.