Saving Money with a Gift Closet

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

VictorianChristmas

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2008
Oregon
Gingerbug said:
To go hand and hand with our budgeting for 2008. We are going to be discussing the gift closet, making it work for you, and creative ways it can save you money. We will also talk about any pitfalls that a gift closet can have....traps to watch out for and what to avoid. The gift closet can be a postive budget saving friend if used wisely. To get us started...lets take a few minutes to reflect:

1. Do you currently use a gift closet? yes

2. If so, how do you use the gifts? Christmas only? Birthdays? etc? I use them for Valentines, Mother's and Father's day, birthdays, and Christmas

3. How do you plan gift purchases throughout the year? I plan them on what people say they like, what I know they like and if they are on sale.

4. Do you keep track of gift prices? yes

5. What are some creative uses for 'random' gifts you pick up? I buy things from Michaels $1 bins, and Target $1 spot. I make gift baskets with a them for the family. When Victorias Secret has a sale on lotions I buy them and divide them up for the family. If I find a buy one get one free toy I buy that for my little nieces. I look at Jewerly sales at Claires buy 10 for $5. I got to the dollar store to buy dishtowels to give. I also look for candle clearance.

6. How often do you shop clearance? If I am in a store I go right to the clearance.

7. Any good online clearance sources? Barnes and Noble, Old Navy, Payless Shoes, Victorias Secret, Limited Too and the Childrens Place.

"heartstrings:

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
1. Do you currently use a gift closet?
This will be my first real year with this.

2. If so, how do you use the gifts? Christmas only? Birthdays? etc?
Mostly Christmas, but any occasion that something should pop up.

3. How do you plan gift purchases throughout the year?
Some have been random, but mostly, from my Master Gift List. When I see things that might go with what I want to do for a certain person, I try to purchase it then.

4. Do you keep track of gift prices?
Mostly.

5. What are some creative uses for 'random' gifts you pick up?
Some will make good stocking stuffers, and others as "fill ins" for the main gifts.

6. How often do you shop clearance?
Every chance I get!!!

7. Any good online clearance sources?
Not yet, but will keep my eye out.