Second Turkey Day of 2011

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Helloooooo MHH folks. Yes, that 's right. It's the second Turkey Day of the year, meaning Thanksgiving is closer than you think.

There are only 8, yep, eight Turkey Days left after this month. Time to try out some new recipes, write out your shopping list or just talk Turkey.

You do not want to be rushing in November. Way to close to Christmas for rushing! You do not want to be exhausted because you were not prepared. So let's do something Thanksgiving related today. This is one Holiday that can be planned ahead of time without too many last minute changes.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Last weekend I made and oven roaster chicken with mashed potatoes, veggies, rolls, gravy and of course cranberry sauce. Well my daughter had a friend sleeping over that night and joined us for dinner. She smiled and said it was like a mini Thanksgiving dinner nad my daughter agreed! That made my day!

I think tonight I will browse through my recipe books. I want to find some new recipes for Thanksgiving Day breakfest and myabe something simple to add to the snack buffet that I put out late morning.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I bought a Williams-Sonoma coffee table book devoted completly to the subject of: Thanksgiving.

Think I'll enjoy it some tonight. All I've done so far is flip through it quickly.

Annie

Annye

Retire Member
Jan 26, 2011
Not sure what I'm doing today

We go to famiy for Thanksgiving and no one ever wants to eat at home before or after that day.

Maybe I can make a festive turkey day quilt. Or pilgrim costumes for my cats LOL Hmm, liking the second one but the first would involve fewer bandaids after!

In peace,

Annye

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I wish turkey was on sale more often. I really like it and love the leftovers for sandwiches at work. We (including all the cousins and grandkids) always eat at my grandmother's on Thanksgiving. Mom and I do all the cooking. Maybe I can have something this year at my house before with just DH, kids and me, but everyone gets tired of eating turkey so much around Thanksgiving. With all that's going on with DGM, not sure what this year will hold, anyway. We may not even be able to do it at DGM's this year.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
Well, in honor of February's Turkey Day I will share a simple pumpkin recipe.

1 box yellow cake mix
1 small can pumpkin
1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
small apple juice box

Preheat the oven to the temperature for the cake mix.

You do not follow the directions for the cake mix, the pumpkin and apple juice sub for the oil and eggs.

Mix everything but the apple juice together as much as you can. It will be really stiff, you just add the apple juice as needed to make it easier to stir. Then put into cupcake liners and bake. The more apple juice you add the longer the cook time for you muffins.

These are really good, even my picky eaters love them.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Well, in honor of February's Turkey Day I will share a simple pumpkin recipe.

1 box yellow cake mix
1 small can pumpkin
1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
small apple juice box

Preheat the oven to the temperature for the cake mix.

You do not follow the directions for the cake mix, the pumpkin and apple juice sub for the oil and eggs.

Mix everything but the apple juice together as much as you can. It will be really stiff, you just add the apple juice as needed to make it easier to stir. Then put into cupcake liners and bake. The more apple juice you add the longer the cook time for you muffins.

These are really good, even my picky eaters love them.

These sound awesome and my daughter LOVES anything PUMPKIN... hum maybe I will give this a try this weekend as I have all of those ingredients in my pantry.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Printing off the recipe for my notebook. It sounds really good. I just used my last box of cake mix last night or I'd make it today.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I cleaned up my Thanksgiving "NB" which is actually just a section in my fall NB. We use the same recipes every year, but I've been adding cute crafts for the boys to make (mostly from here). We made the Oreo turkeys for each place setting this year..so cute!

http://www.food.com/recipe/oreo-turkeys-thanksgiving-snack-143991

Family Fun has lots of cute crafts, too! These are some of my favorites:

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/turkey-place-cards-662892/

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/pilgrim-place-cards-661556/

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/pilgrim-napkin-rings-673452/

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I should print out all my Turkey day recipes and make a section for them in my autumn notebook. I'll have that done before next Turkey day.

Debbie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I love these finger print turkeys. I think I'll have everyone at the table make one so I have finger prints of all the family members. I'll scrap them. Can't you just see one made with baby prints. So tiny and so cute.

Absolutely! I usually make picture calendars for the grandparents and aunts/uncles, but I am thinking about making a calendar of fingerprint and/or handprint art...something for each month. These are perfect!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I searched my freezer for leftover frozen turkey. I tossed what I had. I figure if I haven't eaten it in three months I probably was not going to. I do have two whole turkey that I need to cook. Next week on Sunday might have to be an extra Turkey day for this house.