September Turkey Day 2008

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Anyone have plans?

Now is the time to finalize your Menu and start buying extra items each week for Thanksgiving. I have picked up extra pecans for the freezer. I'll buy some cans of pumpkin this week.

I've found canned pumpkin, cream of mushroom soup and French fired onions are sometimes sold out when I go in the week before Thanksgiving.

My Thanksgiving shopping list:

turkey
chicken (chicken and duck if making a turducken)
duck
butter
whipped cream
garlic
potatoes
sweet potatoes
cranberries (buy extra to freeze at other times of the year)
tea bags
Reed's Apple Spice Cider (Natural Food Store)
Flour (gluten free)
sugar
brown sugar
Jimmy Dean Sausage
Bread (if not saved in freezer)
onion
celery
Black Olives
Cranberry sauce
Green Beans
French Fired Onions
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Canned pumpkin
Evap Milk
Pecans
Shortening (for pie crust)
round Toothpicks
corn bread (gluten free)
butter
Apricots and or oysters (if making a turducken)

Check Spices: cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger

Check date on:
Baking Powder
Baking Soda

How to make a turducken, it's not as hard at it looks:
http://homecooking.about.com/od/turkeyrecipes/ss/turduckensbs.htm

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Thanks for the Turducken link - I sent it along to my DH to see what he thinks ;-)

I am in limbo till my kitchen is finished, we are planning to host Thanksgiving BUT that would require the kitchen to be installed and drywall :slap:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It should be a fun day on thursday with both Rudolph Day and Turkey Day! Plan something special for yourselves!

My dd is in the hospital again so I maybe a little absent this week. Finally we have a doctor who is really looking at her medications and wondering why she's been on the same ones for 19 years. Previous doctors in MD (she moved to WI last year) only increased her medications when they weren't working, this new doctor thinks some changes are in order. Thank goodness.

HouseElf, Push for that finished kitchen! Thanksgiving is a great reason to have it done (or almost). Then Christmas will be more relaxed. I've put up dry wall and laid flooring so I think you can do it too. Even if you only put up on piece of dry wall each day it will help.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I might not be around very much the next few day. DD is coming home from the hospital tomorrow and Thursday we have several meetings to attend.

Think Turkey!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
:friendly:
Happy Turkey Day to everyone including Rudolph since we are sharing today!

I believe it's only 69 days to Thanksgiving!!!

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Here in Canada Thanksgiving is in 17 days! :pilgrim: We are inviting dh's younger sister and brother. His other siblings will be going to his mom's. My siblings and parents live too far away for anyone to go visiting. The prices on turkey are expensive at the moment so I'm hoping within a week or two the price will go down. Also have to pick up the stuff for my stuffing, cranberries, the stuff for deviled eggs. Don't know if dh will want to make his sausage stuffing this year. We already have pumpkin pie in the freezer. My son is so excited. His favourite dinner is our turkey dinners which we have 3 times a year...Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. He will have at least 2 helpings.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Little Elf,

Not sure where in Alberta you are, but if you are near a Superstore their turkeys are on sale for .96 per pound. This sale starts tomorrow. You can get their flyer online as well. If you can't get to one of their stores I am sure other stores will have turkeys on sale within the next week or so.

Hope this helps and Happy Thanksgiving!!

:friendly: Melanie

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Happy Thanksgiving to you Melanie. :flower: No, unfortunately I don't have a vehicle so I can't get to a superstore but I'm sure there will be sales in the other stores here in town soon. We usually purchase 2...one for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas. I'm looking forward to it. :) Any leftover turkey will be saved for Turkey noodle soup. :turkey: