Shrove Tuesday

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
Big tradition in our family today Shrove Tuesday, or eat pancakes for supper day.

Anyone else out there observe this day? Or is it just a crazy Canadian thing?

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
It is really cool. I remember as a kid coming home from school and Mom and Dad saying "guess what it's shrove Tuesday!!!!!" I did not even know what the Day stood for, i just knew i was getting pancakes!!!! A tradition I will definatley do with my kids (whenever I have some that is)

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I don't think Shrove Tuesday is a Canadian thing. I believe it's a church thing. The point was to use up all the eggs and butter before Lent starts tomorrow. (Today is also Mardi Gras!)

Shrove Tuesday in my house and this year we are celebrating it. Usually Shrove Tuesday is all about pancake breakfasts in the morning but that's not practical for us. DH leaves for work just after seven so no time to enjoy it.

For supper, we are having...
* Pancakes (my own recipe) with a choice of maple syrup or this blueberry sauce (made with frozen wild blueberries)
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=7904
* turkey bacon (so good and way less greasy!)
* juice

I'm considering using my good dishes tonight. I think we should all use good dishes more often than just Christmas! :love:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I just read about the pancake thing. I have never heard of that before this year. I am making soup and sandwiches for dinner, but would have made pancakes instead if I had known.

Thanks for the information!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
We did pancakes for breakfast this morning. We do paczki (sp?) donuts for dessert after dinner.

Gadler

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2008
We had pancakes at work today. Yummm!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
The blueberry sauce I linked to in my post above is really good! I used frozen wild blueberries. It took less than ten minutes to make. Perfect addition for a weekend breakfast! They would be ideal with waffles because the berries could sit in the indentations. :cloudnine:

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
Here in the UK we do Shrove Tuesday or Pancake day. We had them for dinner. My children love them.

:bigsnow:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm in Nova Scotia, and we always did Pancake Tuesday at school. I remember calling it Shrove Tuesday at home and eating pancakes.

I know friends of mine who were Catholic gave things up for Lent and Tuesday was also called Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras in French) as it was the last day to eat all those delicious fattening things before they had to give them up for Lent.