St Patty's Day ~ What's Cooking?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I am making the traditional
New England Boiled Dinner:
corned beef, potatos, carrots, cabbage

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm doing my corned beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage in the crockpot. I did make Irish Soda bread last night, but we're skipping dessert today unless I find something small at the store.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
We bake the corned beef...it's faster and doesn't get greasy. Put sliced oranges on top...place in a large baking pan with cut potatoes and carrots (cabbage if desired), add 1/4 inch of water, cover loosely with foil and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes (adjust according to size of corned beef)

The BEST mustard is Colman's powdered mustard, but it's SUPER hot! We mix it up in a shot glass and that's enough for the whole family!

We're also having Irish Soda Bread (purchased) and Guinness/Harp and Irish Coffee (add a shot of Bailey's Irish Creme). We used to have a Bailey's Chocolate Mousse Pie, but it's just the immediate family today so I didn't make it.

'Beannachtam na Feile Padraig!'
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Evening all. I am having leftover lasagne tonight. But we DID have a nice traditional dinner on Monday night. I boiled the last of our own potatoes which we dug at the weekend. We had also harvested a savoy cabbage, which I shredded and steamed. And then fried proper pork chops with a few sage leaves.

Which was nice to eat together - as DH had to head off for work today until Friday.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Not really irish food here. Tonight DD made a veggie soup & some bread pudding. I bought a chicken potpie at noon.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Colleen-
I want to try baking a corned beef with oranges on top.

At what temp and for how long do you cook it?

Annie

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Corned beef and potatoes and carrots from the crockpot and then I sauteed the cabbage with some butter and crumbled bacon on top. I made the soda bread yesterday. DH commented on how moist it was.

All in all, a tasty easy dinner that I should really make more often.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Colleen-
I want to try baking a corned beef with oranges on top.

At what temp and for how long do you cook it?

Annie

Annie - sorry, I just saw your post...I put the details in another St. Pat's post, but I usually put the corned beef in a roasting pan with the veggies (carrots, potatoes , cabbage) and put 1/4 inch of water...tent with tin foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so. It will depend on the size of the corned beef, but the water will keep it from drying out. I just lay the orange slices on top...gives it a nice flavor. You can bake it at a lower temp, just add about 30 minutes per 25 degrees. I hope you like it!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
When I find some corn beef that does not contain papaya, I want to make Corn beef stuffed cabbage rolls.