Standby Stash....

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
So with the potential cleaning out of the gift closets to start fresh with MHH what are your basic gifting standby's that you try to keep in stock????

I usually have soaps, creams, lotions, candles, notepads, notecards, journals, etc.....

What are some of your basics???

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've never kept anything in stock like that. Never really thought about it.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Mrs Soup....I think I remember you move a lot??? Military??? So a gift closet might be a pain for you. But I LOVE it....I find goodies all year long on clearance or on sale and tuck them away. When a birthday or other event rolls around I have plenty to choose from. It has really helped my budget.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I don't like to get too much of those little things as I try to be more specific for people. But The tea towels and little ornaments came in handy for teachers and drop-in friends this year-as long as I don't stock too much. Best deal-salt water taffy in a white pretty mug tied with a red ribbon. Bought after Valentines for 25 cents!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
About the only things I seem to stock up on for gifting are items that I have knitted. I usually have at least one baby afghan on hand and towels and wash cloths to make baby towels. I also keep an afghan that makes a nice wedding gift (or like last year I needed something to donate to an auction), and sometimes a scarf or two . . . and always a bunch of dish cloths.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I try to keep similar things as you do, christmascreations...candles, lotion, notecards, etc. I also buy a few ornaments to have on hand. I try not to have too much because I end up with a bunch of stuff before I realize it and can't always use it up. One thing I have been buying, though, are generic toys - art sets, craft supplies, games, etc. - for birthday party gifts. It seems my kids are always being invited to a bday party for a kid they don't really play with much. I look for clearance items whenever I can.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I really don't have any stock items that I always keep on hand.

I do remember as a child when I went to visit one Aunt if it was my birthday or near Christmas, she would excuse her self for a few minutes and then appear with a gift for me. I finally figured out she had a gift closet. She had little tags on the outside of the wrapping that said what age the gift was for and either boy or girl or both. I figured this out because a few time she had forgotten to take the tag off. lol It was nice to get a gift. It made you feel very special. Most gifts were games that covered different ages and were ok for either boy or girl. They were always a brand name toy.

I also remember she used plain colored paper for her gifts. Then she had different types of holiday bows to put on the package. And she must have had a stock of greeting cards too. It's nice to see that people are starting this habit again. It's a wonderful way to make people feel very special.

I can see keeping some small baskets of lotions for this purpose. I'll work on it this next year.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'll buy gifts with extended family members in mind over the course of the year and we might not end up exchanging gifts after all for one reason or another. I have a couple of gifts like that this year that will go into storage for next year, probably for the same intended recipients. I also put together some cute sewing kits and kids baking kits that didn't find homes this year. I'll have to try harder next year!

I have a hard time finding homes for lotions, bath gels, etc. Maybe I need to make 'foster care' kit bags with these types of items if they're not given away by Christmas.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Mostly have kid stuff I can use for birthday parties, traveling, any Holidays, etc

kids books (reading/activity)
Crayons
Stickers
kid games
art sets

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I keep about the same items. I like picture frames, anklet socks (you can get for $1 in several varities), seasonal dish towels. My gift drawer is pretty bare I do believe. I was trying to clear it out over the holidays so can start again!!!! I also have what I call a "SPECIAL TOTE" for my kids. A 23 yr. old son and a 20 yr old daughter. Anyway I buy seasonal towels, knick knacks, some dishes for assorted holidays, a crystal ornament. At target last year I got like valentine dishes and a candle and cake pan in a heart shape. Oven mitts. Just items to be used in their house and I hope to present it to them when they get married or like maybe a first christmas together. They don't know about it. Actually I think I need to move on to a BIGGER tote for them both. Have like heart shape napkin rings. Things that I think are kinda neat to have BUT usually no money to buy when first married or out on your own.
Lana

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Other than things for the kids to give at friends birthday parties not really. When I make things for people they do end up in there.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have a few things in the closet for quick gifts. I have candles, tarts, notecards, bath stuff, lotions and washclothes/hand towels. It makes my life easier. I hope to pick up a few things this week to add to it for next Christmas.

Lana, I love the special tote idea. My kids are still too young for that idea, but I will definitely put it in my mind for the future.

:bigsnow:

CreativeChristmas

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2007
Wisconsin
Many of you have already mentioned things I keep on hand but one that wasn't were Sudoko (spelling?) books. I went and grabbed one to help fill a grab bag/exchange for Christmas and it ended up being one of the "HOT" items. They always go over well with late teens - thru adult (great for grandparents too!)

I also like to keep/rotate a gift card to a place like Panera or Starbucks. I don't want it to get old but these are great for quick gifts and people always like them. Not really a savings but I keep one on hand (I usually start it off with one I receive).

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Gingerbug said:
Mrs Soup....I think I remember you move a lot??? Military??? So a gift closet might be a pain for you. But I LOVE it....I find goodies all year long on clearance or on sale and tuck them away. When a birthday or other event rolls around I have plenty to choose from. It has really helped my budget.

We move about once a year, usually. This year will be different though. However, that's not really the reason I don't keep a gift closet, I just like to shop for the individual person.

Mrs.Soup I shop for each individual also but I use soaps, lotions, notepeads, and such as basket fillers to add to the individual gifts. And buying them on clearance saves me alot of money!!! Sometimes I will see something I think an individual will like and keep it in my gift closet til their birthday but I like to have lots of other fairly cheap(price wise) items on hand!!!

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
My stash includes some of the items others have listed. Not sure if anyones mentioned: kitchen towels & gadgets, coffee cups/mugs, glassware, photo albums, handmade goodies (like jewelry, bookmarks, home decor), wallets, makeup bags or brushes & gift sets (love Burts Bees smaller sized sets). I like to have just a few of these on hand just in case something slips up on me.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Mmmm Panera Bread I would not have to worry about that getting old because I would use it!!!