Staycation

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
= stay at home vacation. Post your ideas for vacations spent at home. Expensive & not expensive alike.

I've got a few written down for this year:
- Picnic
- Summer reading
- Outside movie theater (cinéparc)
- See if there are any festivals around here during that time
- Check out to see if I find an expostion I like at the museum (last year they had the 'mummy's' and it was very nice)
-

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
For me -- one of the key things is to NOT "pile on". In other words -- do NOT try to live your regular life, with all your regular chores (and maybe a few more chores added).

If the vacation time is a "work time" -- then, just be honest about that. Honest to YOURSELVES.

If you want a "vacation" -- without the hotel fees, etc. -- that is entirely different.

(You CAN combine both. In other words - the first half can be intense work on projects --- and the last half can be a real "staycation".)

For the "staycation" -- I will give you an example of what has worked for dh and me: Dh and I picked a town a couple of hours away -- that we had not visited. We got ready and left early in the morning -- and had Starbucks coffee and rolls on the way. When we arrived in the town we were visiting -- we had a very nice brunch at an attractive restaurant. We chose something fun for both of us -- it actually was a "historical tour" on a boat, on a local river.

Then, we did a little exploring in local, fancy shops. And we each got a book at a local bookstore. After that, we had a substantial, late lunch at a nice hotel.

We are not the youngest people.... and that was enough wonderful activity for us. So we drove home -- to our own, comfy home. We read our new books, watched TV, and had a sandwich when we got hungry.

We REALLY felt that we had been "away". Because we were NOT spending any money on hotels, we were able to go to "nicer" restaurants. We felt "spoiled" and "pampered". We repeatedthis kind of activity for as many or as few days as we chose. If weather was good...... we could spend more time outside. If the weather was rainy.... we could follow alternate plans.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
SN we do plan to spend the day in a lovely quaint neighboring town! It would be a perfect staycation day.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I guess my daughter and I have a "staycation" of sorts. We call it fun week. We've always taken one of the last weeks of summer and filled it with fun stuff. It could mean a trip to someplace locally we haven't been before or a designated day at home to watch movies and scrapbook. Last year was the first year we hadn't, but we had so many other trips planned during the summer, we were both WORN and ready to stay home. I think this year, I'll be fighting to get that time away from her new High School friends, but I may just take one or two of them along for fun.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We used to go camping at different campgrounds within an hour-two hours when we towed. Then we could explore different areas.

I think visiting hometown museums and attractions is always interesting.

We go to the zoo, a nearby amusement park, local ballgames.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Some (first) ideas about staycation...

- reduce homework to a minimum during June/July/August
- serve ice cream at home as you would get it in an ice cream parlor
- grilling
- garden and block parties

Chilli