Summer Reads

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
With summer fast approaching, I am in the mood for light, maybe scandoulous, fun "beach reads."

Any suggestions?

Annie

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
This wasn't light or fun, but The Lincoln Lawyer was a pretty good read. I loved Water for Elephants and The Maid, too.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
DH is reading the Lincoln Lawyer right now. Water for Elephants is good.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Lisa- Who is The Maid written by?

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I like Janet Evanovich and her by the numbers series (1 for the money, finger licking 14...). Her main character is a bounty hunter but not a good one. She has on/off again relationship w/ a policmen and a sexy mysterious bounty hunter. Her good friend/helper is a very large ex hooker that likes to wear spandex that is way too small and often one of the guys she is after end up naked. THey are funny I think and easy reads. She has 16 right now.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I LOVE Janet Evanovich! She writes humorous mysteries. Another good one I like is Joanne Fluke. She writes food mysteries and there are loads of recipes in each book. Leslie Meier is another good mystery writer. Can you tell I mostly read mystery? LOL

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
When I was recovering from my surgery my Aunt and Cousin sent me a box filled with the Janet Evonovich books. I read the first one but that's it.

Like it though- laugh out loud funny parts.

Annie

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Do you have a digital reader? I found out a month or two ago that my local library lets me download books right onto my e-reader or computer. I've read more books in the last month than in the last five years. Your local library might do the same. Great way to experiment with lots of different authors and genres without having to buy a bunch of books to see what you like. I find reading books on the computer can be hard on the eyes, but the e-readers are just like reading paper.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I read the Emily Giffin books and liked them as well. Something Borrowed, Something Blue and I think there may be more, not sure. They have some scandal in them. LOL

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Annie - Charlaine Harris' books are fun...the Southern Vampire Mysteries (Sookie Stackhouse books that HBO's True Blood is based upon) and the Aurora Teagarden mysteries (a librarian who solves crimes as a hobby...if vampires aren't your thing) I haven't read her Other series, but those are entertaining.

I also highly recommend Jasper FForde's Thursday Next series...especially if you read a lot. It is an alternate universe circa 1980's England...history as we know it is different, people in books are alive and it's full of bad puns, jokes and literary references. It's a bit weird at first, but once you get into it, you'll be laughing until the end.

I'm looking forward to everyone's suggestions!

Christmas Paper

MHH Member
Dec 8, 2008
Hi Annie, Yes, I have a long list of summer reads. Some I have authors to, some not. I'll run downstairs & get my list, hang on. Hi, I'm back and here they are: 1. Beach House by Jane green, 2. Instant love by Jami Attenberg 3. When the devil holds the candle-Karin Fossum 4. Talk,Talk-T.C. Boyle -Exc. 5.The Brambles-Eliza Minot 6.Playing in the light-Zoe Wicomb 7. Lost Hearts in Italy-Andrea Lee 8. Alentejo Blue-Monica Ali 9.History Lesson for girls-Aurelie Sheehan 10. Miss American Pie-A diary of love, secrets, & growing up in the 70's-? 11.Killer Dreams-Iris Johansen 12.The Chocolate Bridal Bash-Joanna Carl 13.Plum Lovin- Janet Evanovitch 14. Midsummer Murder-Shelly Freydont 15.The Emperor of Ocean Park-Stephen L. Carter 16. The dive from Clauson's Pier-Ann Packer 17.Big Russert & Me-Tim Russert 18. The Shelters of stone-? 19. At home in mitford-Jan Karon-VG 20. A light in the Window - Jan Karon 21.Drop Dead Beautiful-Jackie Collins 22.Hide-Lisa Gardner 23.Fly away Home-? 24. The Rehearsal-? 25.The Passage-? 26.Strangers of the Feast-? 27.Larry McMurty-? 28.Angels gone Bad-? 29.Dead by sunset-John Grisham & last but not least - Spellman's strikes again-?

This shoulood hold you till the end of the summer anyway, I have lots more if you need them. If you just could let me know the authors of some of the ones that don't have them,I would appreciate It. Happy Summer Reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angel-love

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
This summer I've been enjoying reading the Laura Child's Scrapbooking Mysteries. So far I've read: #1 Keepsake Crimes; #2 Photo Finished; #3 Bound for Murder; #4 Motif for Murder; #5 Frill Kill; #6 Death Swatch; #7 Tragic Magic; #8 Fiber and Brimstone. The author includes recipes and scrapbooking tips in each book.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
GREAT suggestions!

TFS!

Annie