Target's Dollar Spot

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This morning, Target still had a lot of $1 items in their dollar spot. They had others for $1.50 and $2.50.

There is an excellent Dollar-type shop in the same mall. Many, many of their items are now $1.50. This is NOT because they have raised their preices (or at least, I think it is not because of that.) I THINK it is because the dollar has lost so much value on the world markets - that an American dollar is worth so much less - in China and everywhere. I don't think this is going to change for the better anytime soon.

So - anything we can find for a dollar now - is REALLy a bargain.

For me - it is easier to do a little careful gift shopping now, and also do careful meal planning so my grocery budget absorbs that cost. I am already in the "Christmas spirit". And that gives me the incentive to plan and cook healthy meals at home, maybe some new meals to get us out of our rut and also save some money. :skate:

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
We don't have a target dollar spot here in the UK, but I was really pleased to find oriental place settings (2 pairs of chop sticks and rests) and large square plate for 99p in Marks and Spencers. They are boxed and will be good stocking fillers for our friends!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I love Target's Dollar Spot! I bought for one dollar some wedding themed rubber stamps that are really cute. I'm stamping a heart shaped "We Do" on the corners of mirrors to put votive cups on for the reception. It looks really cute.

Last year I bought a bunch of plain glass vases/candleholders there. I've used them for Cinco de Mayo, summer parties, Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, halloween, Valentine's DAy and everyday brunches, breakfasts and dinners. They have paid for themselves over and over!!

I always look at the dollar spot first.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I've found so many great items there. Some are not worth it, but others are great buys! Just recently, they had some black, white and pink journals, notecards and sticky note stacks that were absolutely adorable. I picked them up to put in the gift closet for any of my daughters friends birthdays. She'll come home and say, so and so's birthday is tomorrow, I need something...Then VALLA....DONE!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Those were great gifts, MinnieCo - and so great to have a stash! I guess the key is to try to incorporate Target into our routine trips, if we can. Does anybody know how often Target changes its dollar spot items? And - does anybody know if all Targets have the same dollar spot items? (I assume they all do...)

I go to a place halfway to Target a couple of times a month. I guess I could make it a point to go the rest of the way to Target on those days. That Target is right by a big grocery store, so I could stop there for their grocery sale items that day. I know that Target has lower prices on some grocery staples also.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
From what I've heard most targets do have the same 1.00 items. These were actually in the 2.50 slots they added, but still worth it and great teen items. They are pretty seasonal and not something they switch out often. We're talking at least a month, if not longer. Then they do a quick mark down to .50cents, get rid of everything and start over. They don't just rotate an item or two, it's all at once.

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
Just came from Target, Their $1 bins were full. Only a small section of $2.50 items. Got some really cute golf club pens for DH stocking. They had some really nice coloring books & summer toys, but alas I have no little children and no grandchildren yet ;-)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Interesting, Eaglesax. Those items were not in the Target $1 spot I went to 2 days ago. The one I went to had lots of scrapbooking supplies, and gardening tools, and gift bags and matching birthday cards. Those Target stores are quite fascinating. Maybe it was their change merchandise time.

I forgot to talk about the $1 bins at Michaels. There are often cute things there.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I never really find much I like at the Michael's Bins. Joanne's has one now too that I check out. Had a ton of cute things this past weekend. I did get some stocking stuffers there!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I think they all do, Terrylee5151. Of course, the danger is that you will find things that you want to have for yourself! Hmmmm... I think I have to build in an item or two for myself as a reward for doing one or two things during the week that I absolutely DO NOT want to do! For example, this week they had gardening tools with pink grips - and I got a trowel.
I always have trouble thinking of rwards -- and here is a good reward!
:grin: