Thanksgiving Countdown Week Three

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Here it is ladies and gentlemen. The final week of Thanksgiving planning. I hope everyone was happy with the countdown and if there's anything you think should be added for next year, feel free to give me a shout. :turkey: (gobble-gobble)

Week 3: Get Cooking Week (Nov 15th - Nov 21st)

1. If using a frozen turkey, plan a day you will begin to defrost it in the fridge. The rule of thumb is to allow one day for every five pounds of turkey. Clean and truss your turkey the day before, then refrigerate.

2. Purchase all perishable ingredients. Non-perishable ingredients.

3. Make a written plan for cooking your meal.

4. Phone guests regarding menu plans and any oven space needed.

5. Prepare any side dishes, desserts that can be made ahead and frozen or refrigerated for a couple of days.

6. Pick up your centerpiece if it's not being delivered.

7. Set the table

8. Check bathrooms and put out extra paper goods, hand towels, and hand soap.

For House Prep:

We should be finishing up the diningroom getting it nice and spiffy for our guests. Then next week we tackle the guest room.

I'll be back on Turkey Day with the final tasks of the day. Also let us know how you're doing. :friendly:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Aggy, you have done an awesome job with the countdown, just as I suspected you would when we brainstormed this! I have been so inspired by your lists!

Having said that, I have to confess that I'm not even going to paste your list for this week into this post-none of them would have a "done" or a check mark by them....I've got a lot to do! Fortunately, I do have a couple of extra days, because we won't be at our house for dinner until Saturday. Friday is my big crunch day!!

How's everyone else doing??
:friendly:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Yes, a big THANKS for the countdowns!!

I spent last evening taking everything out of my china cabinet, shining the items up and washing the glass shelves and mirrored backboards. It looks gorgeous, and really sparkles! Always wondered how so much dust can get in a closed cabinet, anyway ;) . Also washed down the woodwork/doors/cabinets and wooden chairs with Murphy's Oil Soap. Now, to give the dining room a good vacuuming!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I spent yesterday rearranging the living room furniture, wiping down walls, cleaning baseboards, etc. Yuck.

Today I'll spend time getting ready for breakfast tomorrow, the after everyone leaves, I'll start working on getting things ready for next weekend.

I need to spiff up the back porch-I'm hoping to serve dessert out there if the weather cooperates. The weatherman is predicting heavy rain next week, so I"m not sure that will work out.

I have most of my serving pieces ready-I'll use some of them tomorrow.

I'm getting excited, but have several other things to get through before Thanksgiving comes to my house:
breakfast tomorrow, 2 birthday parties this weekend, a Thanksgiving service at church, Thanksgiving at my mom's, Black Friday, and then the big day at our house. Whew-full week!!!

holly-ivy

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
sunny California
aggy wrote:
If using a frozen turkey, plan a day you will begin to defrost it in the fridge. The rule of thumb is to allow one day for every five pounds of turkey. Clean and truss your turkey the day before, then refrigerate.

Thank You! I remember that I usually move the turkey into the fridge on Sunday but had no idea why. This info helps. Need to start making some room for it.

Today I'm working on the pantry and also checking out the dishes. Can't remember where I stashed the gravy boat, hope to locate it today.
:hat: for the countdown

Before I get started on the cooking I have to pull out our winter gloves and such from storage. We have a cold front (believe it or not) here in Florida and it is expected to drop into the 20's tonight. So a freeze warning is in effect!!

I just found out the other day that my grandfather wants a spiral ham also on Thanksgiving so now I have to re add that back into the list after I figured I didn't need one......acckkk!!!!

So now I have to buy a spiral ham and fix extra amounts of the sides to go along with it....Need to have enough to use with the leftovers between 2 turkeys and a ham!! My dad absolutely loves turkey leftovers!!!

I also have 2 large turkey breasts I have to use up but I might just save them for Christmas!!!

Refrigerator is getting cleaned out this afternoon before we go out for tournament celebrations- we lost the final game but we did place second in our city so definitely worth celebrating!!

Some Perishable shopping is being done on Sunday-potatoes, sweet potatoes, celery, onions, green apples, etc... and others like Fresh asparugus, italian bread (for cheesy garlic bread), etc... will be done on Wednesday.

I can't believe Thanksgiving is here and Christmas is less than 40 days away......Someone pinch me now!!