Thanksgiving Traditions

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
Here are a few ideas to get started:

Invite people you know for dinner who don't have a place to go.
Volunteer in a restaurant, church, or soup kitchen that will be hosting Thanksgiving Dinner.
Start a family Thankfulness Tree.
adopt a family for Thanksgiving who won't be able to afford one and take dinner to them.
Adopt a college student who won't be going home for Thanksgiving
Just a few to get started. :friendly:

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
I've already decided that I am going to do the Thankfulness Tree this year.

If I'm not able to find a tree, I will more than likely make it a Thankfulness Jar or such.

However, ideally I LOVE the tree idea!

I plan on volunteering through my church at a local homeless shelter as well.

There really are so many wonderful things that each of us can do to help someone else, and it is relatively easy and usually free!

Thanks for this list!
:hat:

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
What is the Thankfulness Tree? I'm intrigued!

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
I will be honest - I'm not sure how everyone else is doing their Thankfulness Tree - but I'm doing it this way.

1. I am going to purchase a small tree (Either Christmas or a stick tree that many stores have out right now)
2. I am going to cut out leaves from different fall colored paper.
3. Put a hole-punch at the top and then tie a ribbon
4. I will place the 'leaves' in a bowl with a marker next to it.
5. Those who visit my home during the month of November, including my family at Thanksgiving will all complete a leaf sharing what they are thankful for.
6. During our meal we will each pick a leaf, read it aloud, and if the person is present they are more than welcome to share more
7. Either way a prayer will be offered up for the person (whether we know who it is or not)

So, as I said - I'm not sure what everyone else is doing - but these are my plans.

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
Wow, that is GREAT!! I love it!

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
snowangel, I love your tree idea.

Here is another idea. Have a family meeting to decide if your family has ideas about what they would like to do. Are there things you are alreay doing that have special meaning or things they would like to see started.

:turkey:

I am actually going to ATTEMPT a new tradition within our families!!! I am going to have a Questionaire for everyone to fill out. I bought extra 3 prong folders during the back to school clearance sales where each family will get THEIR family members answers to reflect on placed in each folder. They won't know what each of them wrote and that it will be presented to the families before they leave. Hopefully everyone will fill one out (not sure if some of my youngest cousins will cooperate-you know teenagers). If all works out well I will do it again next year and maybe for Christmas and New Years too!!