The 12 Months of Christmas Buying

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
This came thru on a e-newsletter I get from http://www.dollarstretcher.com . I t from a recent Dollarstretcher for Parents.

I thought it fit in with the recent discussions here of buying gifts throughout the year and the gift closet idea. I especially like the idea she gives about using her frequent buyer club cards etc...

The Twelve Months of Christmas
by Rachel Muller
Avoid packed stores in December and nasty bills in the New Year

Celebrating Christmas in the standard North American way can be expensive. My family does all the usual things: exchanges cards, gifts and holiday baking, attends Christmas parties and entertains. The one thing that may separate us from many of our neighbors, however, is that we aren't still paying for our holiday purchases six months later. It's impossible to pull off a great budget-conscious Christmas without a lot of advance planning. As my family has grown, I've started a little earlier each year. Now I follow a twelve-month plan. As a result, the holidays have become considerably more manageable financially. They're also less stressful from a time-and-energy perspective. Here's what my annual countdown now looks like:

1. January: Review the recent holiday season to make note of what worked and where we may have overspent. Buy wrapping paper, Christmas cards and ribbons at clearance prices. Buy discounted ornaments, decorations, dishes, etc. for hostess or teacher gifts. (They also make good wedding gifts). Review all the reward programs I belong to: airmiles, credit card rewards, grocery "points" clubs. I collect points all year long and cash them in for gift certificates and/or merchandise
towards the end of the year. This is one of my key Christmas- savings strategies.

2. February: Make a tentative list of people I want to give gifts to in December. Thinking about gift giving early allows me enough time to plan for and make many of my presents.

3. March through August: As garage and rummage sale season gets underway, watch for "new" gifts like small appliances
still in their boxes or nice items of clothing with their sales' tags still intact. It's amazing what you can find when you keep your eyes open. Collect stocking stuffers: cosmetic and perfume samples for my teen daughters, whatever freebies
or novelties come my way.

4. September: Once the kids are settled in school again, it's time to review what I've collected and what I still need. Continue crafting in earnest, and begin looking for specific items to finish my list.

5. October: Check rewards program balances and see what "matches" I can make with my kids' wish list (by now I have a
good idea what they want for Christmas), as well as the other people still on my list. Watch for and buy holiday baking
supplies as they come on sale. Choose a good family photo from sometime during the year, and get multiple prints made for
free (as introductory offer) or when photo developing goes on sale.

6. November: Make double batches of holiday cookies over several evenings, and freeze in ice cream tubs to serve/distribute later. Mail cross-border packages at cheapest rate in time to arrive before Christmas. Buy turkey and non-
perishable trimmings as they come on sale. Make wreaths and swags for our own home and as gifts from backyard greenery.

7. December: Mail out cards with family photo and annual letter. Decorate the house, put up the tree, finish wrapping
presents, and enjoy the season!

Follow your own twelve-month plan, and with any luck, you'll be able to avoid the packed stores in December and nasty bills in the New Year.

pixiestick

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Another thing that I do that the author of the piece above mentions is collect samples throughout the year for stocking stuffers. There are tons of forums like this one out there that focus on posting free sample offers on the internet.

I request free samples even for things that I don't know what I will do with. This past year I got several samples for Poise bladder control pads. I ended up making a gag gift with them for someone's 50th birthday party. I put them all in an over the hill saying type coffee. It got a big laugh from everyone.

Other samples for hair care products or lotions etc... can be combine with other inexpensive things for girly pamaper me type gifts in a mug or little basket.

Some other samples that were a hit this year were Dunkin Donuts Coffee sample in my husband's stocking and

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Good article, pixiestick. Thanks!