The big push

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
OK, girls and guys, today's the big push day for most of us. As I posted in another thread, I have two big push days, today (Wednesday) and Friday. So I thought I would post my list in hopes that I will be a little better in getting it done. So, here's today's list:

1. Make cranberry spread-get cream cheese out of fridge to soften, thaw orange juice (use rest of oj in punch for in-law's celebration Saturday)
2. Make Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake-get cream cheese and butter out to soften
3. Make fresh veggie tray-add dip tomorrow before taking to Mom's
4. Make sweet potato casserole, right up to baking stage (bake tomorrow morning) Go to Mom's and get sweet potatoes
5. Take DH his lunch
6. Load ice chest in van to get two big dumps of ice for Mom (may need to have DH do this due to weight of ice)

Note: we have the coolest thing here (no pun intended!)-a huge ice machine where you put money in and get either 18 pounds of ice in a bag or 22 pounds of bulk ice (for an ice chest or other container) for $1.75. That's what you pay for 8 pounds in the convenience stores! We love it, especially for parties and big gatherings.
7. At bedtime, put green beans in crock pot to cook all night.

Thursday morning:
1. Sleep in (at least until 6:00 am!! LOL) then turn on parade as soon as it comes on
2. Put sweet potato casserole in oven
3. Put dip on veggie tray
4. Transfer green beans to serving bowl
5. Put together a cider spicer bag and wash crock pot to take to put cider in
6. Go eat!!

What do you all have planned for today??

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
Please forgive me, this is my first post, I have been lurking for a month!!! Anyways, today I will be making pie crust, pumpkin and apple pies. Tidying house, cleaning bathroom, setting table, and prepping turkey for early am baking. We are eating at Noon tomorrow. Also taking son to dentist and making a very quick store stop for beverages, I'm sure I will need them after 13 people tomorrow for dinner. Have a great Turkey Day everyone, I am loving this new site, will miss OC, but I think this one will fill in nicely.

Toni :friendly:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm more ready than I have been in the past! All because of you wonderful ladies and my Thanksgiving Notebook! Thank your for help and encouragement!

I take my dd to two appointments today. DH came in the door last night with two pies, an apple and a peanut butter. That means I can cut down to baking one pie today, still have to decide between: pecan, pumpkin or cranberry.

After dinner I'll check the turkey to see if it is defrosted. If not I'll do a quick defrost in a water bath. Turkey will cook in the crock-pot tomorrow. That's easy. Potatoes are mashed and waiting. Cranberries are ready. I'll make the corn casserole tomorrow. I'll put the sweet potatoes in the oven with corn casserole.

The only extra item I picked up were some fingerling potatoes. I might bake them for an appetizer with a sour cream dip. Will depend on how I feel tomorrow morning. It's not a "have to do". Actually I'd like to have them right now. lol

Lou

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
I'm right on track. I have the linens washed and ready to go. I know what item goes in what dish. The dishes, glasses, flatware, etc are all ready to go. The centerpiece is going to be very simple so that's ready (a small pumpking surrounded by candle).

I will make 7 pies today (the first is in the oven as I write). I will start the roll batter this evening and pop it in the fridge to rise over night. I already have my turkey in an ice water bath because it needs to be thawed for the over night brining. The turkey was almost thawed this morning but the legs still feel a wee bit frozen--why does this happen to me every year? Is that normal for the legs to be the last to thaw? :turkey:

I'm doing an Alton Brown 2 hour turkey but I'm giving myself 3 hours just in case it takes a little extra time.

DH is coming home around noon today and will sharpen my knives. He and the boys will also put the table leaves in the table and do the cleaning. I love the holidays!!! Dh wants to start putting up our Christmas lights but it snowed last night so unless it melts off he's going to probably put that off for another day.

My youngest is working on cleaning his room, changing his bedding, etc so it's ready for my BIL who may or may not :? be here for the big day.

I love Thanksgiving!!!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Well, so far, so good! Everything is right on track for today.

1. Make cranberry spread-get cream cheese out of fridge to soften, thaw orange juice (use rest of oj in punch for in-law's celebration Saturday) Done
2. Make Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake-get cream cheese and butter out to softenIn the oven right now
3. Make fresh veggie tray-add dip tomorrow before taking to Mom's Done
4. Make sweet potato casserole, right up to baking stage (bake tomorrow morning) Go to Mom's and get sweet potatoes
5. Take DH his lunch Done
6. Load ice chest in van to get two big dumps of ice for Mom (may need to have DH do this due to weight of ice)
7. At bedtime, put green beans in crock pot to cook all night.

Between rainshowers, I need to send the boys up to Mom's to get the sweet potatoes. It's looking more and more like rain again, and the temp is dropping. I love it...I'm hoping for a cool enough night to have a fire in the fireplace tonight. Oh-there the timer for the cake! Gotta run-it smells wonderful!

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
My big assignment today was to help dear friend get ready by cleaning her house. She and her husband are both professionals and have been busy. I got to spend time at their house. I really don't mind doing this.
There are going to be 30 of us tommorow :friendly:
HAPPYTHANKSGIVING.
Hope everyone has a great day tommorow and enjoy the parade. I will be up at 5 :grin:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Coffeenut ~ You're a great friend!

I felt quite stressed when I got up this morning thinking I had too much to do and I was afraid I was getting sick. However, I got an early start, took some Airborne, and all that's left for today is to finish the pie (just one - crust is in the frig for a while before rolling it out) and cutting up the vegies for the stuffing and turkey breast.

When DD gets home there might be more to do. She said she was bringing some recipes, so I don't know if we'll need to do a little more grocery shopping or what. She'll be home for a few days, so we could save some of her recipes for another day.

Also, I'll be making some cream of tomato soup for dinner.

Otherwise, I'm chillin'!

Sometimes I think it would be great to have a large family to gather, but right now, I'm kind of liking a smaller one! Of course, it would be nice of other DD and her DH would be coming, too!

Christysue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Pie crust was mixed yesterday, tonight I'm baking pies 2 pumpkin and an apple. Tomorrow morning I will put the bird in the oven, make a pudding dessert and last minute touch ups in the bathroom and kitchen. Dinner is planned for around 1PM.

:turkey: :friendly: Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Ok so right now I have the ricotta cheesepie in the oven and the other pie crusts in the refrigerator. I finished the rest of my shopping (I hope I did :huh: ) and setting my alarm to 4:00 in the morning so I can put the turkey breast in the crockpot (this is turkey #3) because it takes 7-8 hours on low and I am afraid doing the half time on high method won't be the right way to go!!! This will help me prepare for the gravy. I am also going to try the do ahead gravy recipe on recipezaar in the morning.

Tomorrow:

4:00 turkey breast in crockpot and preheat oven
4:30 set up pumpkin pie and put in oven
5:00 start setting up to premake gravy
5:30 check on pumpkin pie and wash and pierce the sweet potatoes
after pumpkin pie is done put sweet potatoes in the oven
7:00 cool potatoes and scoop out flesh set aside
7:30 work on turkey wings for gravy
8:00 go to grandfather's with the 2 completed pies and get perishables being stored at his house(carrots, celery, cauliflower, etc)
8:30 take a shower
9:00 make sweet potatoes and put aside
9:30 cut up cauliflower
10:00 peel and cut carrots
10:30 make gravy
11:00 put ham in the oven at grandfather's and bring all completed items over to be heated up later
12:00 check on turkey in crockpot and bring all necessary ingredients and tools to grandfathers and continue with the cooking of stuffing, carrots, cauliflower, asparagus, gravy, sweet potatoes, etc..
~While they are in the oven set up apple pie to cook during dinner.
~Heat up apple cider to go with the dessert
~await ex and his parents to arrive (visiting other relatives)and pick up the kids for the weekend (they came to FL from NY)
~Take a deep breath and tell the cousins it is THEIR JOB to CLEAN up...lol

geez I hope I have most of it!!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Ok, I'm done for tonight! I put the green beans in the crock pot and will be heading to bed in about 30 minutes or so. I also had time to get my winter clothes out of the storage building and do my nails!

A few minutes ago I was lying on the couch watching Gene Kelley sing in the rain, and DH said "This is the most relaxed I've ever seen you at this time on Thanksgiving Eve!". He was impressed!

I'm hoping Friday goes as smoothly as today did. I have quite a bit more to do that day...I'll be posting that tomorrow night or Friday morning.

We are expecting about 50 at Mom's tomorrow-and I'll have about 20 or so in laws on Saturday. I love this weekend! I think we are going to see a movie Saturday afternoon after we eat. We live less than a block from the movie theater, and we always walk down there. However, it's supposed to be 40 degrees and raining, so I guess we'll drive. That will also kill my dessert on the back porch idea! Oh, well!

I hope everyone has a Wonderful, blessed and happy Thanksgiving!! :friendly:

ChristmasMissy

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Georgia
Cathymac said:
Note: we have the coolest thing here (no pun intended!)-a huge ice machine where you put money in and get either 18 pounds of ice in a bag or 22 pounds of bulk ice (for an ice chest or other container) for $1.75. That's what you pay for 8 pounds in the convenience stores! We love it, especially for parties and big gatherings.

We have that here too...Twice the Ice....I love it...such a great value compared to the convenience stores and even Walmart.

All I had to do today was straighten up....having a small gathering tomorrow so there isn't that much cooking this year....lol

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL day tomorrow!!!

:friendly:

Woman

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Fallsington, Pa
Been cooking and chopping all day-my feet are killing me but everything is ready that can be done-I do have to get up early in the morning and finish my table and make a run with the sweeper in the living room-I'll be geting up at 6:00 to put the turkey on-my guests will be arriving around 12:00 and we will eat about 1-1:30-my husband was a great help today-he washed the windows and the curtains for me-he told me he would do the bath and porch in the morning. WOMAN

:friendly: :friendly: :friendly:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was up at 4:45 putting the turkey in the crock-pot. For the first hour I was leaving it on high to warm up. Well, I fell back to sleep for 3 hours. I think it's ready now. I wonder if my guests would like to come for a Thanksgiving Breakfast. lol It should be fine on warm until this afternoon.

Lesson learned. If I'm not up for the day, nothing goes on high. Or I'm getting a new crock-pot that doesn't cook so hot.

Good luck to all who are cooking today.