Three jobs for September

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
1. Pull out your dryer from the wall (unplug first). Pull off the dryer vent, usually attached with a metal ring that has a scew in it. You might need a screw driver. Then take the vacuum and get out as much of the lint from inside the wall (any type of brush can help get the lint loose) and then from out of your dryer. Then reattach a NEW dryer vent (easier than cleaning it). This will help your dryer work better and prevent a fire. Wash the floor under the dryer and all four sides of the dryer. Now push the dryer back. Looks nice, dryer works better and you deserve a break. I also took the time to place four of those plastic mover disks under the feet of my dryer. Now it will be easier for me to move. Oh, now turn on the dryer and go look outside to be sure the outside vent is working. This can be cleaned also.

Info on fires
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vixNauSDz4
How to tell if you dryer vent is working or not
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I54Rh57IQw&feature=related

2. Grab a can of WD40 (or some other oil) to oil all the door hinges. House and car!! Also do the shut off valves under the sinks and behind the toilet tanks. If your kids door squeeks you might want to leave it alone. Also nice to know when they are coming out of their room.

3. Change the batteries in your mouse and keyboard if you have wireless ones and change them in your garage door remotes. Therse are things often overlooked until they stop working.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
Yeah...we really need to do that dryer thing. Our washer and dryer are stacked front loaders though which makes it a little harder. I'm going to put it on the honey do list. Definitely neeeds to be done. Thanks.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Don't forget - replace the batteries for the fire detectors!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You know, I've been asking my husband to do this for years, but I think I'll just do it myself and put it on my to do list when doing my laundry room this time on HGP.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Great list, Ahorsesoul! Thanks for the reminders!

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
A stacked washer and dryer might be harder to do. Moving that washer is the pits. lol

Moving a dryer is easy. Just go slow moving it side to side to get it started.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I will say since we had to replace an element in our water heater my dh will help when I say something needs to be done. All those years I was telling him to drain some water out of the water heater went unheeded. Now he's doing it monthly.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I do the dryer thing at basement week during the HGP, several years ago we had wasps over the summer trying to nest in the outside vent area.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
The neighbor (we are a twin home) had a bird starting to next in her dryer vent on the outside wall one year because she was missing one of the little tabs. I pulled out most of the nest and put tape over the hole. Didn't want my house catching fire. lol

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
A stacked washer and dryer might be harder to do. Moving that washer is the pits. lol

Moving a dryer is easy. Just go slow moving it side to side to get it started.

I was thinking that maybe it would be easier (since the dryer is on the top) to just turn it a quarter way around to do it. Not sure that it would work, but it would be easier than pulling out both.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Great list! Fortunately our smoke dectectors are hard wired. We just did the dryer vent in Aug., but I'll have dh check it again.

Another thought...seal up any holes or cracks on the outside of your house to prevent rodents from coming in during cooler weather. DH did that yesterday and found a brown bat living in the corner of the siding.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
My 3 jobs for September:

1) Clean out and organize our bedroom closet

2) Re-organize hallway built-ins

3) Hmmmm...have to come up with another!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
With holiday shopping around the corner, this would be a good time to check your online passwords and change them!

Remember to add symbols (@$!#*), numbers and Capital letters.

You don't want your email (or worse- online accounts) to get hacked like mine did. It is a pain in the bootie!!!!

Annie

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Great reminders! We clean out our dryer vents every 6 months...I can't believe how much accumulates! DH says what can I expect when it's the hardest working appliance in our house! ;)

I change the batteries in our smoke/carbon monoxide detectors every 6 months on Time Change Sundays.

This is also a good time to stock your medicine cabinet - cold & flu medication, cough drops, etc. And to change over your emergency kit in your car if you have one (add blankets, warmer clothes, gloves etc.)