Tips for Staying on Track

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
For those of you that have managed to finish the plan or at least have gotten close...lol. Can you offer us some tips on how to have the "staying power"?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Tips:

1. Take the week focus and break it down into daily chunks.
2. Use a timer - set if for 20 (or whatever) minutes, and work until it beeps.
3. Take a photo of what a 'clean room' looks like for you. Can be motivating to see how well you have done.
4. Build a reward into your week. Have that cup of cocoa, even with whip cream :)
5. Delegate with compromise. If there is too much on your to do list, figure out how much really needs to be accomplished; discuss how other members of the home can help out.
6. Don't sweat the small stuff - no one will know that you really wanted to bake ## different kinds of cookies this year, when they are enjoying the ONE you did!
7. Set yourself up for success. Take the week before HGP starts and organize your cleaning supplies. Have extra storage containers ready, boxes and garbage bags.
8. Use a new scent!
9. Schedule friends to come over for dinner - just before the holidays start, after the area you want to showcase is complete.
10. Tackle the project with joy! Turn on the music & light some candles!
11. If little ones are under foot - either enlist them with their own chore chart, or exchange childcare with a neighbour or friend/family.

:)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I really evaluate my weeks ahead of time. For the most part I follow it as listed, but rooms may get switched around according to my schedule and what's on the calendar for that week.

When the week comes, I'll note when I have time available and fill out my to do list. Mentally I think which days will work best for what and just start checking down the list. I do the most needed task first and if I don't get done with my list, I just a leave it blank. If another week comes and I have some time open, I'll go back to unfinished items on the list and do them. If I don't, I don't.

Take time to do the mental image around the room. Ceiling to floor, what needs to be done. I just sit in the room, start on one end and work my way around to the other and write things down as I go. if I think of something else later I write it down. I've also kept my list from last year, so I can see if I've forgotten something or have something on there I don't need to do this time around.

Mrs. Clause is right. Tackle the project with Joy! If I don't have music on, I'll watch my favorite show while I work. I get to watch tv, but don't feel like a blob. I'm an expert at commercial cleaning too! You'd be amazed at how much you can get done during commercials for a 1 hour show. Then if you watch any reality shows like me (maybe DWTS), then you know there are ALOT of commercials. I'll wash dishes in between, clean the toilet, take out the trash. Whatever I can think of!

I also tell my husband at the begining of the week what zone I'm in and what little fixes I'd like him to do. Sometimes they get done, sometimes they don't. But if not, I'll ask again on the next go around.

Most of all, it's not about being perfect. Just remember..SOME IS BETTER THEN NONE!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
What great suggestions from MinnieCo and HouseElf!!!!!

I'll just add....... that I am REALLY easy on myself! When I can't think of what to do (perhaps because there is SO MUCH to do in a room)...... I will take a great suggestion from AnnieClaus...... and just set a timer for 20 minutes and DO SOMETHING! It is amazing how good that works!

Also.... I don't make a written list. I sort of decide on a "project" for the day.... depending on how much I have time for it on that particular day. Even if I only end of doing three projects..... that still makes a big difference!

And... I also use "catch up weeks"..... weeks when I don't have the "project room of the week". Or weeks where the project room is already in good shape. Then I go back to an area that needs more work.

I just do what I can.

And I find it really encouraging that other people are doing the HGP too!!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Love the tips! thanks Houself & Minnico.

I make lists, lists, lists.... if they don't get finished I do like Minnico, I come back later if need be & I tackle priorites first.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Love the tips!

I am another person who is big on lists. I like the timer idea too!

I have always triaged my tasks as life starts to get hectic mid-HGP. Sometimes the tasks that are higer priority are because they are highly visible if not done. Sometimes the tasks I can't do without are ones that just make my life easier - like reorganizing the contents of an oftern used cupboard or drawer.

There are always some tasks that get skipped, but by and large, most of the tasks get done...

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This time around...... I am going to TRY to do Christmas Tasks every week! On the weekly worksheets.... there is space for us to write down "Christmas Jobs". Last year.... I mostly concentrated on the "work in each room".... and I did not keep up with Christmas work. So... the house looked A LOT better.... but I was pretty far behind in Christmassy jobs.

Both things are important!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I think it's important not to give up just because you missed a day (or weeks). Just keep going with whatever is on the plan for that week.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I like what Ahorsesoul said.
Even if you miss some weeks or drop off the wagon- jump on whenever you can!

Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
absolutely. don't give up. to be honest and open...CRAP happens!! Just pick up where you left off!!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Yup, getting back on the wagon is important. And what I try to do is, when I am doing the early scheduling, bear in mind weeks that we have other events on - so try to do some tasks from that week before then

so say, if we are away or entertaining on Master Bedroom week, apart from maybe swapping to make sure "entertaining" areas are OK (cos who'll look in MBedroom?!), I will try to schedule a couple of MB tasks in the week or 2 beforehand.

And I try to build in "free" time later in the plan, to allow me to catch up on any that I missed when it was time. Especially the actual Christmas ones, but sometimes household ones too (like, if I forget to sweep the chimney in the Living Room Week (am I right in thinking this is always week 1?), I KNOW I need to get that done for winter by the end of October or so, but Halloween week might be good if we are on midterm break).