To Elf, or not to Elf?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Much as I love the idea of "elfing" I decided not to do it with my daughter. My main reason was that I thought she'd realize it was me early on, and that might kill some of the magic and make her question Santa. She is a very serious, analytical type, and it seemed to me like it is a lot easier to believe in Santa than a stuffed elf coming to life at night, and she might believe longer without it. She already has questions about God asking me things like, "Why would he even invent germs?" She said several times this year, "Mommy, you're Santa." She had just turned four. I had told her elves leave coins in your shoes on St. Nicholas Day if you're good, and sticks if you're bad. She seemed to believe the next morning, but I figured the elves were better sight unseen.
Anyway, the problem now is that every kid she knows has an elf and they talk about them, and adults even asked her during the Christmas season what her elf was up to. She wondered why she didn't have an elf. If I do introduce an elf, she is still going to wonder why she didn't have one before and why he's waited until this year to show up.
I wonder if there is a way to do it where she knows it is me but still enjoys it. Maybe I could tell her the elf is just a stuffed animal, but he's there to remind us that Santa and the elves are always watching, or something like that. On the other hand, if she knows it's me playing the games, I don't want her to tell other kids and ruin it for them.
Any suggestions?

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
We do Elf!
This was our second year of Elf Fun. The idea does not seem especially popular in Australia- as ours is honestly the only house that I am aware of participating. DS had never heard of the Elf until I mentioned it to him. So, I was lucky that it could evolve any way that I wanted.

When I decided to do the Elf I told DS that we had to apply as a family to house an Elf. That Santa was very particular where he sent the Elves to. I printed up a dummy application form and DS helped to fill it out. I then scanned and emailed it to Santa. A few weeks later we received a reply to our application. Another dummy email that I typed up and printed out. So our Elf (Walter) was officially born!

I tweaked the Elf to suit our house. He does not always get up to something everyday. Some days he just leaves a note and a small gift- something like chocolate or a Christmas eraser. I do it kind of like a Christmas countdown calendar. This takes the pressure off me to do something every day!

Now I am not 100% sure if DS thinks that I am the Elf. But he does not say anything- he likes the idea of a small treat each day leading up to Christmas. Our Elf brings things like Christmas movie DVD, Christmas TShirt that I would be getting for DS anyway. Lots of families do these things on Christmas Eve but I like to get them out early so that they can be used/ enjoyed throughout December.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Wish I could shed some insight on this, but all the "Elf Hype" didn't start until my kids were basically grown.

I like Tanya's suggestion of applying for the Elf. If you went that route, maybe you could say you had never heard of the Elf until last year and it was too late to apply. It does take a lot of forethought and planning. With DD#1's personality, would she stay awake all night trying to "catch" the Elf? That would make it really tough on you trying to set up the shenanigans.

Lots to think about.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
I am with Jane on this, my children missed the elf fun..my DDIL does do it for my DGD5, ( I wonder if her sister (age 18 months) will get her own next year, or will the one elf visit for both girls? ) Anyway, it does sound like your DD will be hard to fool, I like the idea of her knowing it is you, and there are sooo many goofy/funny things you can do, she will get a kick out of it anyway..and as for telling other kids-my DD grew up with a girl who's family didn't believe in Santa and she told DD there was no Santa all the time..my DD reaction was - she KNEW Santa was real, and she just didn't worry about it..your DD's friends would probably react the same way..

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks for the input!

Tanya- I like the idea of submitting an application to get an elf. My daughter loves when we fill out forms for contests, so I'm sure she'd get the idea.

MissJane - I think I'd do it for sure if my kids were older....beyond believing in Santa. I'm positive I have a lot of eyerolling in my future at Christmas time. I'm going to be that annoying Mom trying to get all the kids into matching reindeer sweaters when they're in college. lol. I don't think she'd stay up at night to catch him as long as I told her he wouldn't come until she was asleep. She is very strict about rules. I told her that about Santa this year and when I went to give her a hug and kiss on Christmas Eve she freaked out crying saying, "Mama, get out of here! Hurry!!!"

Snowlvr- Yeah, I'm still debating if she should know it's me. I think I could do a lot more that way if I wasn't worried about her catching me in the act. It could just be kind of Christmas play. She has a Curious George, and if he falls out of her bed at night I sometimes put him in a funny place. When she wakes up I say something like, "What did that silly monkey do now?" She looks at me and grins and says something like, "Oh Mommy, you're the silly monkey," but she does have fun with it.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I picked up two elves, a boy and a girl, at Walmart on clearance. I figure if I do decide not to do it, they would still make cute decorations or toys for the kids. These ones have names assigned. I think the girl is Sparkles and the boy is Boufou or something.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We do Elves but NOT the Elf on the Shelf. We have 2 plush elves "Jingle" the boy Elf and "Belle" the girl elf. They arrive on Dec 1st with either with a new Christmas movie or a new ornament for their child and head back the night of Dec 23rd so when the kids wake up Christmas eve morning they would find new Christmas PJS under their tree. When both kids were younger they would take the Elves with them everywhere in the house and they would sleep with them at night. THey liked the idea of their elf keeping them company through the night. Some mornings or some days after we come home from being out they would find their elf stuck upside down in the child's stocking trying to hide a small treat in there.

Now that my daughter is older and "know" she gets does the same thing as always ... in part cause she has fun with it and part for her younger brother who still believes.

Our Elves are there more to have fun with the kids than to report to Santa. After all he already know who has been naughty and who has been nice.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Minta - The elves I picked up are plush too. They each have a personality...one deals with food, one with wrapping, etc.

I was toying with getting a couple and having a different elf show up depending on what the idea is, i.e., Foodie would show up with Candy....the wrapping one would show up tangled in ribbon, etc.

My other thought was that we could draw names during the holiday season and you could be that person's elf for those few weeks. Your job is to help make their Christmas special. It would be anonymous, but that person would have an elf, and you'd have to sneakilly make it do things when they aren't around. That way we'd have all the fun of the elves, but with them knowing it's all in fun.

Another idea would be to draw the elf, and have you responsible for that aspect of the elfing...ie. if you draw Foodie, then you sprinkle candy in everyone's shoes....or if you draw the "worker" elf you do little jobs for everyone. They would probably need to be a little older for that one...but it could be fun and teach them to focus on someone else during the holidays.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
My daughter was also to old, however, with that being said...as a teen we had an elf that would leave her special gifts or just something special. We still use him around the house on occasion. Hang him in silly places..just to make others smile, but nothing like they have going on now. I'm a flybaby, so we also had the house fairy in her teen years. When she did something to help or cleaned her room really well or the chores were all done, the house fairy would leave a little something. SO she knew they weren't real, but it was something fun to get her motivated. Heck, the scrapbook fairy still leaves her a gift every Christmas. ;)

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
my oldest technically knows its me, but I never actually admit to it. I always just shrug my shoulders and say something silly like "would I really make a mess like that for me to have to clean up?" She just rolls her eyes and laughs. You never have to actually admit to doing it. Ive even heard on other forums that the kids get involved and move the elves to prank the parents. I think the key to it is not to get stressed or let it become "a job", just have fun and remember the magic! :)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I agree Dawn....

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
MinnieCo - I've tried following FlyLady a few times. I hadn't heard of the fairy idea though - I like that. I think my daughter would love it.

I'm not stressed out about the idea; I just want to make sure that if she figures out it's me it isn't a direct link to figuring out the whole Santa thing.

Thanks for all the comments. I think we'll have some fun with this next year, one way or another.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Here is some info on the housefairy... But I didn't pay for it, I just used the concept. One summer, we also did Camp Gonna Wanna Fly. That kinda kicked off the whole thing and to be honest, my daughter learned alot that summer on organizing and house work. things she still uses today, especially LIST. She would whine as most teens do, during high school, but realizes now how important routine is and how much list help.

http://www.housefairy.org/

http://www.flylady.net/d/camp-gonna-wanna-fly/

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks for the info!