Tomorrow -- First Turkey Day of the year!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Okay, my friends, if you're planning on celebrating with us, TOMORROW, Jan 24th, is the fourth Thursday of the month and our very first Turkey Day of 2008!

So, do you have all the ingredients you'll need for your recipes? (Did some one say 'Turkey Roll-Ups?)
Do you have your supplies on hand to update your Recipe Notebooks and Harvest Notebooks?
Enough shortening, flour and filling ingredients for that pie recipe?

See you here tomorrow to read reports on how our day went! :-D

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
In the spirit of Turkey Day ( even though I'm from canada and thanksgiving in always on a Monday) I will be taking my frozen turkey carcass from Xmas dinner and making stock. My apartment will be filled with the smell of holiday cooking.

I LOVE making stock, especially on cold winter days, and trust me, we are in a DEEP FREEZE these days.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I can almost smell the turkey soup cooking down here in Wisconsin! Love that smell but it's got to have some celery in it or I get a headache from the smell.

Yep, making turkey rolls ups tomorrow. I do mine with cream cheese mixture and sliced turkey. Think I'd better buy some cream cheese at Wal-Mart today. Thanks for the reminder.

Ahorsesoul said:
I can almost smell the turkey soup cooking down here in Wisconsin! Love that smell but it's got to have some celery in it or I get a headache from the smell.

That reminds me I have frozen turkey soup at my grandfathers freezer that my uncle made for me. I'll have my dad pick it up later and I will stick it in the crockpot in the morning. But I have also planned on making the Boston Market Meatloaf recipe and with all the RAVE reviews it has been getting I can't wait to try it!!!

holly-ivy

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
sunny California
Really excited about this. Thanksgiving is always such a big celebration here but I want to change it up a bit this year. Not exactly sure how to do that. DH is very much a traditionalist. Tomorrow I'm going to be looking for different side dishes for when we have the left-overs. Also want to start thinking about a centerpiece and perhaps mantle decorations.

Going to be fun.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Yes, HolidayJoy, I want to celebrate with you tomorrow!!! In fact, I think I NEED to celebrate with everyone tomorrow!!!!

Everyone's Thanksgiving is different. Mine is a huge family gathering that continues through the weekend. Thanksgiving dinner isn't at our house - but a brunch or dinner over the weekend is. So - I think I will work on a brunch recipe. (Whole Foods Market has added a section that sells breakfast. They have a french toast that would get a 5-minute standing ovation if it were a musical performance. It is so good it makes you want to shout!!!!) I don't think I can make anything that delicious - but I can make something.

I will try to call some of the relatives who live out of state tomorrow. That would be a nice part of the celebration. :party:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Not sure what we'll be cooking tomorrow.

But in the spirit of Thanksgiving think I'll do a gratitude day. On TD I'll write down things I'm thankful for that month.

Also plan on writing some recipes in a note book.

Trying to keep it simple but grateful at the same time.

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
I am getting all my T-Day recipes in my notebook, instead of having to search my recipe box everyyear! Also making pumpkin bread for the family. Will be combining my T-Day and Rudolph Day together today, as my kids will be home from school tomorrow and we have other things going on tomorrow.

Toni :turkey:

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
I did that this past year. Made a book for Holiday recipes. A real lifesaver!!!!!! I'm working on one for Spring and Summer recipes. (If it ever gets here)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Thank you for reminding me that gratitude is a wonderful oart of Thanksgiving, girlsinmo. That makes me slow down and catch my breath.

I have made two phone calls to say hi to relatives I usually only see at Thanksgiving. And, while I was cleaning the kitchen, I saw Martha Stewart do a wonderful and easy recipe with eggs that would be great for brunch (or supper). I'll let you know how it turns out. The happiness and excitement from Turkey Day has helped me do several 15 minute sections on Jumpstart January.
\

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
:friendly:
I did several more 15 minues for Jumpstart Jaqnuary. Then - I went to the store to get the simple ingredients for the brunch/supper dish from Martha Stewart today.

A fabulous bread - thickly sliced
(or any bread you have, toasted, but more delicious bread makes a big difference)
A big can of cut up whole tomatoes (organic if possible)
spinach (I used frozen chopped organic)
eggs
grated or sliced cheese to sprinkle on top when finished

Pour the tomatoes in a skillet to heat. (Meanwhile cook the spinach). Toast the bread. When the spinach is done, and the tomatoes are boiling, break as many eggs as you want right into the simmering tomatoes. Cover the tomato pan until the eggs are done. Maybe 5 minutes. Put one piece of toast on the place. Using a big spoon, dish out an egg and plenty of tomato and put on top of the toast. Put spinach on the side (op with butter). Sprinkle with cheese. Serve more toast on the side.

It was really quick (10 minutes) and really healthy and really tasty. I would definitely use this at a brunch, with plenty of other dishes that wern't so healthy. Its really pretty also - with the red tomatoes and bright green spinch.

I can recommend this as a great addition to your recipe collection. But, why listen to me -- Martha Stewart was raving about it today!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
SparkleNana said:
Thank you for reminding me that gratitude is a wonderful oart of Thanksgiving, girlsinmo. That makes me slow down and catch my breath.

I have made two phone calls to say hi to relatives I usually only see at Thanksgiving. And, while I was cleaning the kitchen, I saw Martha Stewart do a wonderful and easy recipe with eggs that would be great for brunch (or supper). I'll let you know how it turns out. The happiness and excitement from Turkey Day has helped me do several 15 minute sections on Jumpstart January.
\

Your welcome. I've wrote quite a list of things I was thankful for this month.

As far as cooking goes we really like using the crockpot around here. The house smells so good plus we can get more than 1 meal out of it in a day.

It was full of potatoes and polish sausage covered in brown gravy yummy.

The tomato, egg brunch sounded good.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
SparkleNana said:
:friendly:
A fabulous bread - thickly sliced
(or any bread you have, toasted, but more delicious bread makes a big difference)
A big can of cut up whole tomatoes (organic if possible)
spinach (I used frozen chopped organic)
eggs
grated or sliced cheese to sprinkle on top when finished

Pour the tomatoes in a skillet to heat. (Meanwhile cook the spinach). Toast the bread. When the spinach is done, and the tomatoes are boiling, break as many eggs as you want right into the simmering tomatoes. Cover the tomato pan until the eggs are done. Maybe 5 minutes. Put one piece of toast on the place. Using a big spoon, dish out an egg and plenty of tomato and put on top of the toast. Put spinach on the side (op with butter). Sprinkle with cheese. Serve more toast on the side.

Ok, I don't like eggs (unborn chickens cooked in a pan, ick!) but I'm going to try this recipe. I'll have to find some gluten free bread to make the toast. This recipe sounds weird enough to be good.

I have a theory that any recipe that combines ingredients that you normally won't combine probably is a wonderful recipe.

Thanks for sharing.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Okay, I had grand plans of organizing and printing my "standard" Thanksgiving recipes to put in my notebook, but it didn't happen. I've been working ALL day on the all-school scavenger hunt I am in charge of - I licked 225 clue envelopes this afternoon :thud: - volleyball practice and lacrosse registration/meeting, I didn't get anything done. I'm bumming! Well, I guess I know what will be on February's Turkey Day to do list...

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I didn't get in on the TD either. Worked all day and then had a mandatory work meeting so............... Just got home. BUT for Rudy Day I do believe I will have some hot chocolate in a oversize snowman mug that I brought (just for RD) and work some more on the craft room. 90% of it is sitting in my front room and getting sorted and put together. Have a box started to give my younger sister--stuff that is to good to throw away and I would rather her try them. Little new kits to weave small baskets and hearts (always wanted to do that), latch hook kit and other items that are new and not opened. Have a stack of Home Companion from 2001-2003 or so that I will give her. Anyway hope over the week-end to finish the room up. My DH has to fix the floor in a couple of places. Replace the tile where the computer chair rolls. will bring in a different chair. Anyway IT WILL BE SO NICE WHEN DONE. My DS, DD and DH are all helping. So that helps cuz it was a mess and just so overwhelming to do myself. Eleven months to Xmas!!!!!!!!

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
girlsinmo said:
...I've wrote quite a list of things I was thankful for this month.

I like this idea. There is often not enough time to think about that. :flower:

Will do that every month. We don´t celebrate Thanksgiving. We have a harvest festival here, it´s on October 5th this year I´ve even learned ;). But now I will be thoughtful about that on T-Day.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I'm glad you liked the ideas. To me Thanksgiving is a time for family, friends and thinking about what you're thankful for, as well as good food.

So the idea came to me to celebrate TD with a gratitude list for the month. Hopefully when the year is over I'll do a scrapbook of the months of gratitude.

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
That would be a great idea.

We meet the family on Christmas or on a Sunday in Advent.
We have three days on Christmas for that ;) (Dez 24-26th)