TV Turn Off Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Next week April 21-27 is National Turnoff TV week what a great way to encourage not watching as much TV and getting outside!!

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
:applause:

Very good idea!
During spring/summer you have so many possibilities for outside activities, so watching TV is not necessary. And it improves communication within the family.

Chilli

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It certainly is worth talking about. It would be interesting to hear "why" children like to watch certain shows. Relaxation? Comedy - so they can laugh? Something their friends watch, and they talk about?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
That would be great if it wasn't the week that all MY favorite shows start back up. LOL

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
If my team hadn't just made it to the second round of the NHL playoffs, I might be more open to this. I can't totally turn it off; I enjoy my hockey playoffs.

I do agree that awareness around watching TV is important. I'm a stay at home Mom with two little ones (1 and 4y). Our tv is off during the day and not always on at night. I really support limiting screen time.

I wonder if the concept of turn off tv is almost outdated; shouldn't it be "turn off the screen" week since many people and esp kids are spending just as much if not more time on the computer? Combine both tv and computer into this.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I agree, CanadianJingles. For many kids around here, I think they are in front of the computer even more than a TV. We definitely limit all screen time in our house. The only thing my kids make a point to turn on is America's Funniest Videos on Sunday evening. I don't watch anything on TV anymore except maybe something I find by chance on PBS that catches my eye.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
I would agree "screen time" including video games. With my little one starting school we are wanting to plan a weekly no electronic day. I need to come up with a catchy name- hmm will have to think.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
We yanked the cable box quite a few months ago. We watch 1 video per day (have make a conscience choice what we watch). We do make an occasional exception once in a while and have a movie marathon--- we make it part of family fun night.

We spend more time playing games, reading together and playing outside. :applause:

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
For those who need to break some bad computer habits, Shutdown Day is May 3rd.

DH and I just did an entire TV Turnoff/Shutdown Week. No TV/DVDs, radio/iPod, Nintendo DS/Wii, and no computer. It was cleansing. Most importantly, I embraced my power to sit still, in silence, completely at peace. And the technological world didn't die without me. Imagine that! :grin:

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
I have just posed the question to my children! Both yelled NO! I find this quite amusing as neither watch much TV and thought it would be well received. Just goes to show, that they have formed a dependance on the TV already! Will definitley be turning the TV off this week!