Two questions re: baby gifts

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Let me start off by saying, as I have before, that I'm completely clueless about babies.

A friend of mine in pregnant, so once again I need to knit some baby gifts. Previously I've done baskets with a few items for the mother and a knit baby blanket and garment for the baby.

I knit a really cute bonnet the other night. Unfortunately I knit it in a dark burgundy and purple colour ( I was just trying out the pattern in a cheap wool to see if I could handle the fancy stitch pattern) and I'll need to do it again. I absolutely love the way it turned out, and it was so quick and easy. The pattern has matching booties and a sweater.

So here's my first question: Usually I make a pink set of items and a blue set so I'm prepared whether its a boy or a girl. This time I was thinking I'd make this cute set in white and then add blue or pink buttons once the baby is born. The sweater kind of flares out at the bottom looking almost like a dress, and the bonnet is kind of lacy. So, I was wondering, do people put those kinds of sweaters on little boys? I know in old days the baby boys wore knitted dress-like tops. But, nowadays I don't know what people put on infant boys. If its too girly I could just knit it in pink and then make something else in case its a boy. It is for an infant 0-3 months if that makes any difference.

My second question is this: I knit a hooded baby sweater in a pale blue and it has a silvery shimmer through it. I'm wondering if that would be appropriate for a little boy where it is sparkly. It is meant to fit a 6 month old.

Thanks for any advice!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I think both your options sound lovely, especially if you are giving them to a family who goes to church. I loved the handmade things I received for my children. :love:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I agree with CanadianJingles-I just adore homemade sweaters and the like. My Husband, however, does not. I could only use these treasured items when he was not around and he cringes at the pictures of our boys wearing the sweet knitted things that so much time and effort was put into! However, DS7 still uses a crocheted blanket(white) that was given to him at birth to cuddle up on the couch. It was a good size.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
They sound really lovely! And the time you obviously put into them I'm sure would be greatly appreciated. I received a "fancy" white sweater (not handmade, though) when my oldest was born. We used is on his Christening, but honestly, that was about it. I thought the sweater was adorable but my DH said it was too girly so it was never used when he was around either. Between all 4 of my kids, it probably wasn't used more than a dozen times.

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Hooded sweaters for little boys are really cute, but not so much sparkly ones.... Between my husband and my son that wouldn't go over at all.... A Homemade hooded sweater though (non sparkly would be a WONDERFUL gift).

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I think homemade sweater, bootie and bonnet gifts are just precious. I have everyone we've received for our kids. I think the blue sparkly is a bit much for a boy, but would still be nice for a baby girl. I think sweaters that are more tailored are better for a baby boy, since dads can be so picky about their little men. ;-)

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks for your help. Okay, no sparkley sweater for the little boy. I held the little pearly pink buttons up to it and I'm thinking it could look cute done for a little girl. In my defense, the blue wool didn't look that sparkley balled up in the store :)
I'm thinking I'll work the little hat/boot/sweater batten for a girl in either the the white wool I already bought, or in a new pretty pink wool. It looks like something that would go over a dress or anything and in our climate I think it would be useful.

If the hoody sweater is okay for a baby boy (and this is a very plain sweater, no fancy stitches) I'm thinking I might buy some of that Bernat camo wool in blue and knit it in that. The baby's father is in the military, so he'd probably like it and it might be kind of cute. I've knit with it before, and it doesn't make a giant pattern, more of just a mix of colours.

For my blankets I just buy really fluffy bernat baby blanket wool and knit a giant rectangle. I actually had one parent ask if I could make a full adult-sized one. I'd knit that blanket with a sprained wrist, so at the time I never wanted to pick up needles again.

We're moving in 4-5 months so I'm trying to use up all my odds and ends of wool rather than drag them with me. I've been knitting up lots of baby toques, and mittens. Maybe I'll throw a few of those in too. They knit up quickly and they're kind of fun because I can play around with the stitches and designs.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
My Mom crocheted me a lovely sweater, bonnet and bootie set out of variagated pastels that all my babies wore home from the hospital, and to church when they were dedicated (two boys, one girl). I loved it, and still love it. It doesn't matter to me that they each wore it only two or three times. It's very special and is among the few baby things I have stored away. So to be a very special gift, it doesn't have to be worn a lot.

I love the idea of knitting something out of blue cammo, especially of the dad is in the military!