We will be witnessing history

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
wow.....so the republicans (McCain) picks their first female VP nominee (Alaskan governor Sarah Palin) and the democrats pick their first African American presidential nominee (Obama). This is history in the making either way. I don't intend this to be a political discussion, I just love to witness and get to participate in a piece of American history.

How exciting that we get to choose a part of History!!!!!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm from Canada....so obviously I get no say in the outcome...but I love watching the debates and whatnot. Elections don't receive the same kind of coverage here.

I was just wondering when I saw McCain's pick about whether or not you had ever had a female VP.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
FrostyShimmer said:
I'm from Canada....so obviously I get no say in the outcome...but I love watching the debates and whatnot. Elections don't receive the same kind of coverage here.

I was just wondering when I saw McCain's pick about whether or not you had ever had a female VP.

We haven't yet. A while back the Democrats had a female VP candidate~Geraldine Ferraro. She ran with Walter Mondale.

Kudos to Senator McCain.

:bigsnow:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Christmascreations -- this is a really nice thread! It is great to stop the competition -- and celebrate the fact that we ARE all witnessing history! Americans or from other countries -- this is an important time!!!

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
I agree with you. Whether you have lived through a lot of the struggles that people talk about or not, you can feel when history is being made. I try to help my kids understand it, too.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I agree 100%. I told my daughter Thursday night, regardless of political party it was a great moment in history. Then when McCain picked a women, I was like WOW...keep the surprises coming.

We were actually able to participate in a non partisan even last monday here in denver with several senators and the speaker of the house. We ended up being in the middle of a protest and it scared my 13 yo DD. Although I did NOT agree with their platform choice (because we had 150+ girl scouts in the auditorium with us), I told my dd that without protestors we'd not be were we were today with blacks and women. So at some level you have to respect protestors, but anymore it seems there is a huge lack of respect on their part during the protest and that part bothers me.

I"m excited about this election and I'm glad so many others are excited becuase it is history in the making.

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
Love this thread. We definitely will be seeing history made this, no matter which side wins.

Go America.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
It is awesome. I've heard my parents and grandparents talk about where they were and what they were doing during historical moments. Now that I'm getting to experience history I can truly understand how they must have felt.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I think the whole world is fascinated with what is going on here in America.

Any person in the world COULD become an American. WE know they won't ALL become Americans. THEY know they won't ALL become Americans. But - any one of them COULD become an American citizen - if circumstances were right. And - their children - or their grandchildren - could become American citizens. That possibility gives the entire world an investment in what happens in America. And it is is an incredible time in America!

OK - enough already - just my opinion. I am just excited by these historic moments.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Aren't the families of the candidates for President and VP -- absolutely beautiful families! It is such an exciting time!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
My dd13 is very excited about this. My uncle has had it in her head since she was 5 that she will be the first woman president. When Hillary announced that she was going to run my dd called my uncle and told him she didn't think she would be the first woman president, he in return told her she may not be the first but she would be one of the women presidents. She has told me that they are already debating the canidates in school and it just started on Wenesday. On election day here the school's do mock elections (many different schools do this) and she said everyone in her class is torn already on their mock elections. Including her that believes you should vote on the better person and points they have. I know for a fact take dd will be glued to the tv for results of every state on election day.

EllaBlue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. (Canada)
Here in Canada, we have been watching the various nominations for both the Republicans and the Democrats. It's amazing to have had the opportunity to watch history being made. Here in Canada, we are also going to be headed to the polls, except we're going to have our elections in October.