Week 9/25: Master Bath Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We've been planning to repaint our master bath for a while now - DH bought and painted it a color months ago that he thought was taupe - actually was closer to pink. LOL

Plus he forgot to paint the back of the door so when you were inside with the door closed you saw pink walls and bright yellow door. UGH!

Soooo...I bought a neutral cream color and repainted this weekend. Also touched up the white trim, etc.

Then I decided to go one step further. {sigh} I touched up the white ceiling where I had accidentally grazed it a few times with my roller.

Come to find out, flat ceiling paint looks miles different from the glossy white paint I was using on the trim.

Now the ceiling looks a bit odd in spots but I can live with it for now! Its always something, isn't it??? :)

Will be cleaning and reorganizing cupboard contents over the course of today - everything was pulled out for the paint job.

So by the end of today I hope to have the cleaning part of this weeks HGP checked off. Then maybe I can start to regroup on the holiday tasks!! I'm behind on those!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Good job with the painting.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Way to go on the painting!

Our master bath has wallpaper in it that I'm not particularly fond of, but we won't be replacing it and painting before Christmas this year (it's pretty far down on our list of remodeling priorities), so I'm settling for just having a clean and tidy bathroom. I actually went though this bathroom and decluttered a couple of weeks ago (hooray FlyLady!), so what I think I'm going to do this week is just hit all of the bathrooms in our house (we have 3) with touch-up cleaning...dusting, washing floors and mirrors, making sure the toilet is tidy, etc. A lightbulb burned out in our master bath this week, too, so I need to get that replaced as well.

I think it would be good to stock up on extra lightbulbs for the light fixtures and ceiling lights before the holidays. You never know when one is going to go out, and it could be right before guests are coming to visit, with no time to run to the hardware store. I think I'll put extra bulbs on my shopping list this week.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I think it would be good to stock up on extra light bulbs for the light fixtures and ceiling lights before the holidays. You never know when one is going to go out,

This is so true. I've been mulling the idea over of decluttering the drawer under my dryer since it is where we have our stock of light bulbs. I'm thinking I have bulbs that do not belong to this house. Time to get rid of them to bless someone else. Thanks

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Things are going slower then I would like - but I have managed to declutter the areas and keep up with the holiday prep.

Posted a pic of progress to date on renovations of porches - and a bathroom pic (before)

I will be so excited to show you all the final result!!:rudolph:

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
My plans for this week had been modest as the bathrooms (both) are in pretty good nick anyway. Luckily as my workload enough for 2 people has had the work of another person added in this week (I know this and next week will be bad, so I am really hoping that the week of 10th Oct is a bit less hectic - at least at work!).

I had a list done, which is still at home. I'll try to post that tonight. But I am doing pretty reasonably with the plan as a whole and have managed to get a good few jobs from future weeks done in quieter times - even if I missed a few already due to be done.

This week, I'll aim to keep all the balls in the air (I really am getting to be a master juggler of priorities!!) and perhaps manage to get back to the plan towards the end of this week.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Maser Bath Week: luckily... the bathrooms are in good shape. Just a quick final cleaning.... before family-houseguests arrive on Wednesday night. Then... from Wednesday night through Sunday..... no real HGP work. Just happily enjoying the family... with routines going on, hopefully.

Of course... there WILL be.... as much declutteing and cleaning as possible.... before Wednesday early-evening trip to the airport!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We don't have a master bathroom...only one bathroom in this house! Plus the washer and dryer in there, too.

So, I am going to spend the extra time in the room I have slowly (very slowly) been converting to a computer/reading area. I want to paint in there, but not sure it will get done this week.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Very impressed AuntJamelle on your painting great job.

Our whole house with the exception of the two bathrooms need repainting. There was no time before we moved in to do so, so now I have someone else's colors. They aren't horrible but just not mine. :)

So, as far as the master bath, won't take me long at all, very small and we've only been here for about 9 months, not much time to really get destroyed. :) I've been keeping up with it on a daily, weekly basis.

Which will give me more time for the holiday stuff, which I do need to get moving on. Gifts to make!!!!!

~ Farmerswife

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Bathroom HGP Cleaning Tasks are DONE! Whew! :) Turning my focus to catching up on holiday related prep tasks the rest of this week...

Holiday Prep:

[ ] Make one batch of Holiday Goodies --- I'm thinking it is still a bit early for me to make any cookies, etc. for Christmas. I'll be minimizing my baked goods this year anyway in light of dietary changes we've made due to DH's health. However, tonight I am going to look up a cookie recipe I know I am going to make for co-workers this year and note any special ingredients I need to pick up to be ready to make the dough in a few weeks.

[ ] Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL --- Once again, dietary needs have greatly limited my options for stocking the freezer with fully put together meals.

Instead, I am stocking with meal components. Cooked, shredded chicken. Browned lean ground beef and so on.

This week my feed the freezer task is to chop and freeze the several packages of green peppers I got on sale at the store this week. Some I'll do in slices, some I'll chop.

[X] Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive)---DONE

[ ] Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes---Not sure if I'll have the $ to do any real shopping this week. I may try to get 1-2 stocking stuffers instead, squeezing them in with the grocery bill.

[ ] Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them---I am planning to organize gift closet this week and get things in order so I can have unwrapped on one side and wrapped stacked up on the other.

[ ] Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts - So far so good on this one! Probably doing closer to 2hrs a night...

[ ] Take toys and books that are outgrown, clean them up and prepare them for donation to toy drives - In progress

[ ] Make list of toys and books that children would enjoy and that would fit in their rooms and that would work with what they have. Keep it hand for telling family what they would like. ---On the list to do!

[ ] Inventory clothing and have another list of clothing items needed. Measure the children and put measurements on this list. - On the list!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Holiday Prep Update:

[X] Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL --- Three large ziplocks of green pepper strips and one large ziplock of cooked shredded chicken added to freezer last night! :)

Happy dance! And I'm loving a new tip I picked up - which is great for someone like me that does not have the $ to invest in a vacuum sealer right now - once you've squeeze the most air you can out of the freezer bag - use a straw to suck more air out.

Worked like a charm! I just left a little tiny open spot in the ziplock seal for the straw and clamped down with my fingers in between "breaths".

It was like watching a space bag get all small when you hook it up to your vacuum cleaner!

[X] Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive)---DONE

[X] Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts - Just ordered 3 Baby Einstein DVDs for DS; I've had good luck with ordering used via Amazon or B&N - and went that route this time too. So I got 3 DVDs for about $20 including shipping!

[XXXX _ _ _] Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts - Every day this week so far!

[X] Inventory clothing and have another list of clothing items needed.

BONUS

- Got a pretty basket out of attic and filled with boxes of Christmas Cards for this year and a printed address list. Will add pens and stamps. Now I have a easy way to quickly pull out those supplies and work on cards here and there as time allows. ;)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Holiday Prep Update:

Crafting

Broke my perfect record for at least 1 hr per day on crafted gifts! :( I was just too tired at the end of the night to get everything out!

Freezers

However, I did manage to leave work a bit early and zip home to clean out and reorganize all 3 freezers before I picked up DS from daycare.

Got rid of several things that had expired :( and used some small plastic baskets/milk crates I bought at the dollar store a couple weeks ago to help keep like items together.

For example, one basket holds small ziplocks of chicken stock, another holds baking type items (brown sugar, shredded coconut, pecans, etc.)...and so on

I have a lot of smaller type items that fall all over the place and get lost easily - I'm hoping this helps!

I jumped ahead to this HGP task since we are going to make our quarterly trip to the butcher next week and I wanted to have plenty of room for all the meat we'll bring home! And for the freezer meals/meal components I have planned!

Closet/Gift Closet

I also squeezed in cleaning out/reorganizing the office closet which among other things is our gift closet. Everything is nice and tidy and baby proofed now!!!

Cleaning supplies are up on a shelf - not on the floor - and so on. It will be nice to be able to work in that room while DS plays there too...

I'm working on DH in regards to rigging up some wires in the very top of the closet and to the side - they will sit about the highest shelf - which is still quite a ways from the closet ceiling.

I'll use the wires to suspend tubes of wrapping paper. :)

Here is a link to an example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankfarm/2255448059/in/gallery-32241009@N08-72157623956149936/

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
AuntJamelle, that is a neat idea with the wrapping paper storage. I wonder if those tension bars for hanging curtains would work too.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Nice way to store wrapping paper.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks Aunt Jamelle, it's fun to find ways to organize our spaces. Wrapping paper + freezer containers are a good idea.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
AuntJamelle, that is a neat idea with the wrapping paper storage. I wonder if those tension bars for hanging curtains would work too.

I bet they would! They would just have to nice and tight! :)

Found this particular idea on Pinterest - which I am in total LURVE with!

Have you guys discovered Pinterest yet? Great for all sorts of things, including holidays!

If anyone needs an invite to the site, just send me a PM with your email!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm cleaning under the sink today.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan

I like the idea of storing it at the top of the closet; just make sure that there are no lightbulbs nearby that could catch it on fire. ;)

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Still working on porches - but delayed due to another few days of rain :(
So I moved inside and started some holiday prep and organization.

On a high note, my new door for the kitchen arrived today - very exciting :)