Welcoming the holiday house guest for Christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Decorate the guest room door with a wreath.

~ If you have enough space, place a small Christmas tree in the room... even a tabletop tree makes a welcome addition.

~ Set out a basket with some fresh fruit, nuts, candy, and homemade muffins or cookies for a special treat for your guests. Don't forget to add a few bottles of water, or a carafe and glass (and some holiday napkins).

~ If you have a small coffee maker, this can be a nice addition to the guest room for guests who rise early, or who might like an afternoon or late evening beverage. Be sure to include packets of cocoa, apple cider, teas, special coffees, as well as some sugar (or sugar substitute), creamers and spoons. Some special additions would be most welcome, too... cinnamon sticks, candy canes and chocolate spoons all make perfect 'stirrers'.

~ Provide an alarm clock, radio, and some stationery or note cards with envelopes, stamps and pens (and maybe a few holiday stickers). You might want to add a few other items just in case they need to wrap some last-minute gifts... scissors, tape, to-from tags, some pretty paper and ribbons.

~ A pretty journal tied with a ribbon and a pen tucked in would be a perfect gift for your friends who love to write. Place it on a bedside table, or right by the pillow. Write a special message or Bible verse on the front page!

~ If you have an extra CD player, place one of these in the guest room with a few favorite Christmas CDs for your guests to enjoy.

~ A large basket on the floor can be filled with an assortment of books and magazines... make sure to include some holiday editions!!

~ Add a pretty fleece throw, a quilt or an afghan in the room for your guest to cuddle under while they read, write or enjoy some music.

~ There's nothing better than the aromas of the holidays! Use some seasonal potpourri or candles in the room.

~ Place a special basket in the bathroom for your guests. Include small sample sizes of personal care items they might have forgotten to pack... some special soaps, bath oils, and lotions.

~ Provide nice, lush towels ~ and include a bath sheet for them to wrap themselves in (or a robe) after their bath or shower.

~ Don't forget to include an extra blanket or two, and plenty of pillows!!
http://thekeepingofchristmas.blogspot.com/search/label/Decorating

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Great ideas! :jumpinghearts:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Ooops! you're right and they might want to stay longer!!! oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:haha:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Oh, I would never have thought about putting a coffee maker in a guest room. What a great idea. I know I'm an early riser and when staying at people's homes I'm often unsure of how early I can get up. It would be wonderful to be able to make a cup of hot coffee. We just cleared out our kitchen and were going to get rid of a small two-cup coffee maker. Now I'm thinking we should hold on to it.

Another thing that's good to leave where guests can easily find them are a few over-the-counter medications (provided these will not be easily accessible to children) such as tylenol, tums, pepto bismol, etc. Sometimes guests can be embarrassed to ask for some of these items.

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Great tips! I never would have thought of the cd player or coffe maker! I'd add a guest notebook so that they know what to do and where things are in case of emergency. (Ex: our cell phone numbers, our work numbers, fire dept, police dept, clinic and hospital number and directions. It's also got our neighbors information so they know where they can go for help if we can't get there fast enough.) It's also got sections on things to do in our area from restaurants (with coupons if available and menus), stores to shop in, things to do and fun things to see. This way they have some freedom to look through at their leisure and decide what they want to do based on their personalities--and if we are at work they are able to cruise around knowing where they are going and what they can do. Gotta love that!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Those are all good ideals for a guest room. I don't have any family that visists. All pretty close together. But I would love to find that stuff if I went somewhere to stay!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
:jumpinghearts:
It's great to work on getting the guest quarters ready NOW! Not just at Christmas! There is a lot to do then. And it is great to be ready for guests at any time!

Let me say that I have been an overnight guest in many homes over the years. There is ONE THING I care about! I care whether I truly feel "welcome" or not. If the hostess acts as if she really wants me to stay overnight, I am extremely comfortable! If she acts as it I am a "burden" for her, it doesn't matter how elegant the guest room is - because I am not comfortable there.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Yes, great ideas!

I leave a pretty basket with plush bath/hand towels rolled up and arranged. I also tuck in a couple of bottles of water. I have another small basket with the matching wash cloths and spare tooth brushes and travel sized toiletries.

I do have a small extra coffee maker that I'll set up on the dresser from now on! I keep a CD player in there, but need to remember to add an alarm clock. And I think I'll add in a few wrapped snacks. I'll pick up a few little trial sizes of otc meds, too.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I love all the ideas here. And will be using them for when i clear out our guest room in a couple of weeks time (in line with the HGP!).

We live a few hours drive away from most family, so have them staying in 1's or 2's every now and again. Sometimes with little or no warning (or sometimes when work is fairly frantic for both of us).

So my tip for guest rooms is - unless it is very rarely used - strip the beds and remake them with fresh sheets as soon as your guests leave. You can add fresh towels and any ncie extras in a couple of minutes when they arrive, but ready-made beds mean that you can clear the clutter off the top (rapidly chucked underneath ;-) ) in a matter of seconds and it looks like you were expecting them all along and all ready for them.

But for Christmas, I think I will bring my travel kettle home from work. And I now have a use for the clock radio that was surplus to requirements after DH got a wifi radio for his birthday.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I agree, Winged One. Strip the bed and make it up with fresh sheets as soon as one set of gusts leaves. I also have a stack of towels in a different color from family towels, and I leave that stack of towels in the guest room all the time. It is one less thing to remember when guests are coming.

I would love to have a whole set of guest rooms, each with their own bath. In reality, I have one guest room - which is the office and Christmas-work-room too. Guests share the family bathrooms. And when there are a lot of guests, I hang blankets over the entrance to the family room/dining room (for privacy). The big TV is in there, along with two very long couches.