What do you do with your normal decor during Christmas?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

KrustyTheCat

Retire Member
Mar 26, 2008
What I mean is, where do you put your normal decor items during christmas? I want to do some things differently this year, but don't want the house to look too cluttered.

Do you put your every day items away during the holiday season or just leave them out? I'm leaning more towards putting them away and then putting them back after Christmas.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Most gets put in the boxes/totes from which I take the Christmas decorations. Some things just get moved to the attic. I decorate seasonally, so the fall returns to the fall crates and then the "everyday" things get moved to the christmas tote or get pulled out and dressed up for Christmas.

Lisa

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I also put the things that can't remain out in the totes that I took Christmas stuff out of to display. Usually just whatever is on shelves that I intend to use, most of my stuff however, stays out.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I also put my stuff in the Christmas totes that I will have emptied and then bring them out when I put the Christmas decorations away.

Melanie

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have to ditto that, we put stuff into the Christmas totes. We trade everything out, throws, pictures come down and the ones that do stay up, get wrapped like presents with bows. I would love to make curtains for the front room and the dining room sliding glass doors for the holiday season BUT.... DH loves Christmas too but he thinks that doesn't need to be done.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I don't really have alot of decorations for my everyday decor. I have touches of red in my daily decor anyway, so I usually am able to just add the Christmas stuff and it works fine for me. Anything that I switch out regularly Candles, throws, etc. have their own storage spots inside my house, so I can easily switch them around when I want. I really only have about 5 things I need to move, but they either can be relocated, placed under the bathroom sink, or temporarily moved out to the garage. I use my empty Christmas tubs to stash any of the clutter that seems to accumulate during Christmas, so that my house is clean for company. I then find a proper home for the new clutter when I put all my Christmas decorations away.

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
I too put my everyday things away when I bring out the Christmas stuff. My house is small and just looks too cluttered otherwise.

thood

MHH Member
Oct 18, 2007
I have to go along with most everyone else....it goes in a tote.

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Same here. I put away the everyday decor into the boxes where I store the Christmas decorations. After making merry for 45 days or more, I am always ready to put the holiday decorations away and use my everyday items again. Lots of times I find new places for the old items!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i put away everyday items when i bring out items for the seasons.when its over its like new things because they have been taken to the attic for awhile.

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
My "everyday" stuff gets decorated for the season....lotsa Santa hats in all sizes.....mini wreaths, Christmas trees & sprinkles of snow EVERYWHERE!

Everything wants to get into the act. Don't sit still too long or I'll decorate you too!

Pippi

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I learned that trick here and implemented it last year. It worked wonderful! Before I would move it, hide it, store it where ever I could and it never dawned on me to store it in the box I'm emptying...DUH!!

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ditto here too...all goes in the totes that things come out of. I, too, tend to rearrange everything and make it all look different after the holidays.