What is the Christmas item you're looking most forward to bringing out?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

zchristy

Santa's Elves
My Christmas decor closet is next to my laundry area, and every time I go down there I have to keep myself from opening the bin with my olive wood nativity and creche in it :) It is made with this gorgeous two tone wood from Bethlehem and it comes from my favourite store, Ten Thousand Villages that supports the work of artisans in developing countries.

How I got it is a funny story in itself - my husband and I had seen this lovely nativity and couldn't afford it. So the following Christmas we set aside the money and went in right at the beginning of Nov. and there it was. I walked away from it to take a look at another one my husband saw and when I came back 2 mins later, a lady in a wheelchair was lovingly touching it. I waited patiently and she eventually moved on to another part of the store. So I managed to *not* pummel a disabled person over it, so if that isn't the spirit of Christmas, I don't know what. is. :) LOL

What is the thing you look most forward to bringing out for Christmas?

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
That is hard! I like so much of my decorations. Maybe my 5' Santa that we put next to the tree. I think he has a pretty face and makes the room come alive. But then there is the wreath and etc.....

After reading Melanies post I would agree the tree. I put all homemade ornaments on it (exception maybe 6 or 7 that were my grandparents and a bluebird one our friends got us)
and alot of lights and love to turn the lights off and just watch it! In 7 or 8 weeks decorations will be going up!

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I love all of my decorations, but I would have to say my Christmas tree with all of my country ornaments. It is 7 feet tall and pre-lit and when decorated it is beautiful.

Melanie

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
My very own christmas lights for my mother.....lol lol this is my first Christmas with my mother in years... And I am soo excited to join in with her and Christmas... so it would have to be the decorating, AND seeing her joyful eyes, again...

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
It's my 7 1/2 ft tree all decorated and spinning slowly around on a rotating tree stand. I love sitting on the sofa in the evenings with just the Christmas lights and candles glowing, watching starring at my tree.

Chinook Girl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
my collection of angels (and no I don't know how many) their home is in the living/dinning room and once they are all in place I just feel the room is singing.

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Wreaths on the doors! I have 6 sets of french doors and the front and side doors. Once those are adorned, the house is ready. I love pulling up the driveway and seeing the house decorated.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
While I love my tree and the collection of ornaments which we've gathered on our global travels over the years, I think my favourite single item is our nutcracker - the big one.

When we went to visit my sister living in Vienna in 2004 (she's since moved home), we found LOADS of wonderful nutcrackers on sale in all the markets. Really beautiful handmade ones. After looking at hundreds, we picked one who was a toymaker/seller, with a tray of toys hanging from his neck and lots of toys piled onto and hanging off the tray. This was before we had DD (or even really thought about having kids - perhaps though there was an underlying current that Holidays), but it really gives me a sense of Christmas magic pulling it out every year.

When we were travelling last year, it was one of the decorations I insisted on bringing with us (we were staying in a house, where we were hosting a few people for various events, for just over a week, so I wanted to decorate) and it looks just wonderful on it's own on the mantel of the fireplace.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'd say my nativity. I bought it about 2 years ago, after using an inexpensive one for most of our marriage. It's just beautiful.

Next would be my Santa collection,then the tree.

Blessings,
Lisa

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
Wow this is a hard one! I suppose it is the main tree that goes in the Living Room. It's 7 feet tall and looks so magical when it is completely decorated and sparkling with lights. But I also have a little Advent Tree that I put out on the 30th November just before my DD9 goes to bed. When I put that out the excitement starts to build and we know the season has begun!

MissBrittany

Premiere Member
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
I also look forward to putting up my nativity. It was always a big deal for me growing up, and I love the one I have now. It's the full Willow Tree nativity by Susan Lordi, and it took a few years to complete as it is pricey, but it is beautiful. There is a picture of it in my blog.

peppermint pattie

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
nativity too

My mom recently gave me her beautiful white ceramic nativity. It has lots of pieces to it. She is downsizing and out of 5 children I'm the only one who wanted it. I can hardly wait to put it out when I decide where to put it. I have a smaller one that my DGKs play with but this one will be put up and taken care of.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I'm really enjoying the stories that go with your favourite pieces. There are emotions and memories to all your items.

I'm not sure how to pick a favourite. I adore having a real tree and we have so many wonderful ornaments. When we bought our house, we had lights up on the outside of the house before we had unpacked. But I will think on it and try to see if I can narrow it down.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
My favorite decoration is my diningroom tree (small 4ft) that is covered in my grandmother's waterford crystal ornaments and white lights...even now that she's gone, she's an important part of our holidays and still "presides" over family dinners!

qltmrkt

Premiere Member
This year I am looking forward to the 5' tree in our master bedroom. We remodeled our bedroom back in January. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought all the mercury glass ornaments they had left for 90% off! I don't know what the tree is going to look like or what else I need for it (like garland and a tree skirt) but I can't wait to see what I come up with! The walls are painted a sage green with cream trim and the accent color is a persimmon color. I may need to get it out early so I can "work" on it!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'd say my white nativity set too and our Christmas ornament from our family trip to Disney.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Lovely stories! Cathi, your bedroom sounds beautiful-some of my favorite colors,sort of like fall all the time! And I can't wait to see pictures of your tree!

Normally I would say that the village is my most anticipated decoration, but it's already up! I had it on top of the kitchen cabinets (love it up there) but I got tired of it and wanted to go a different direction with the kitchen so I had DH put me some additional shelves in the corner by the fireplace in the living room. Then, I spent almost a whole afternoon moving it in there...and I love it! I"m planning on adding some fall decor to it.

So, I guess my most anticipated decoration now will be my new-to-me 9' tree for the corner (opposite the village) of the living room. I plan to use my red and gold decorations I used on the live tree last year, but add in some plum colored silk hydrangas sprayed with fine gold glitter, some plum ornaments and ribbon..and whatever else I can find that looks pretty on it. I know I want it to sparkle and glisten and glimmer and shine and all those pretty things!

But..then there's my snowman collection that I love to see...and my nativities...my framed Santa pictures...my Santa that will be 50 years old this year...oh, heck..I love them all!!