when do you decorate for christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
For me, it's become tradition to decorate on the Friday after Thanksgiving. First thing in the morning, after breakfast, I pull the boxes and tree, and begin the process of stowing fall items and getting in the Christmas spirit. Typically, there's Christmas music playing in the background and the scent warmers are filling the rooms with cinnamon and other holiday smells..

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
For me, it's become tradition to decorate on the Friday after Thanksgiving. First thing in the morning, after breakfast, I pull the boxes and tree, and begin the process of stowing fall items and getting in the Christmas spirit. Typically, there's Christmas music playing in the background and the scent warmers are filling the rooms with cinnamon and other holiday smells..
That's been our schedule but this year, I'm starting a new tradition!

Reactions: jampss

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Aiming to be traditional I usually wait for the first Sunday in Advent to decorate for the holidays - unless Hanukkah falls early - like on Thanksgiving - in which case the decorations will go up before Hanukkah starts.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
That sounds so nice, Lori. :)

Reactions: jampss and Lori K

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I start decorating for Christmas once all the Thanksgiving decorations have been put away. It's typically some time during the first week of December. I decorate one room per day. It helps me to slow down and enjoy the season.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
That sounds so nice, Lori. :)
There's a good chance my mother will be here over Thanksgiving and for the long weekend, so I'm kind of looking forward to making it extra special this year. :)

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I typically decorate the week after Thanksgiving. It's an ongoing project that entire week.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Fall comes down thanksgiving weekend. And Christmas goes up right away. I have done the big tree in the living room the week before thanksgiving for years. Just to give my back a break and was easier when I was working. We always got the live tree for the sun room thanksgiving weekend. Last year we purchased a artificial tree so I imagine it will go up before thanksgiving too. I can’t wait!!!!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I usually do it the first weekend of December. I find that I grow tired of it all....I know, really?!....if it goes up sooner, but I do leave it up until New Year's Day. I like to have it put away before I go back to school in the new year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Normally the first weekend in December. This year we have a DrillDance event then so may have to be last week in November.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Does anyone do a thorough cleaning before putting up any decorations?
You may notice us posting in threads with HHP or HGP in the name. Each is a different type of cleaning plan to get ready for the holidays. Then, some of us do a much shorter version of a cleaning plan called Christmas Countdown Plan. It started Sunday. You can go to www.organizehome.com to see all of the plans.

It's probably too late to use HHP or HGP, but you may want to try one of them next year. I think looking for a way to get organized for Christmas was what brought many of us to MHH!

Hope this helps!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
For me, it's become tradition to decorate on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
So. This has been our tradition as well. But ... sniff ... my chief interior decorator moved to VT!! (DD28 ;) ) I'm not sure what or how much I will do on my own. DH and DS17 ... aren't much help. :rolleyes:

• Sad
Reactions: Ahorsesoul and Lana

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Usually by mid-november. But this year, working from home, I might start in my 'office' next week.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
The day after Thanksgiving, depending on weather and what time we get back from shopping we either take down the outside fall/thanksgiving decoration and put up all the outside Christmas decorations or we pack up all the inside fall/thanksgiving decorations, bring down all the inside Christmas decorations and put up the trees to let them settle for a bit for decorating. By Sunday night of Thanksgiving weekend the inside and out side of the house is all decorated for Christmas.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We played with the outside lights tonight. We’ve been wanting to do something different and it was a nice night to play. I think we have come up with a new plan. The lights might be up by the middle of next week since it’s supposed to be close to 70. We won’t turn them on until thanksgiving night.