Will The Bad Economy Cause Fewer Christmas Parties?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
What do you think? Is your employer giving a Christmas party? Are your social groups? Your friends? You?

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
DH's employer is still planning a holiday party this year, haven't heard otherwise. I hope people continue to have their parties, but they will be forced to take things a little more simple, and that is totally ok.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I think with the economy being bad will increase the parties people throw (maybe not office parties) . People like to ban together in tough times.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
We're actually thinking about having a dinner party with friends instead of exchanging gifts. At least WE'RE thinking about it...let's see how THEY feel about it!! LOL!! :bigsnow:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My company (small - 14) has opted to do a potluck Christmas party instead of having it catered. ::eek:rnament:

My husband's company (huge) never did anything when the economy was good! :haha:

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
I hope not. Maybe things will just be simpler.

My office has done a progressive dinner the past few years. That way no one has to be out a lot. For the main meal portion we usually go to our Administrative Asst. house. She has a large table where we all can be seated together. The department buys a large brisket and her DH cooks it. Three or four of us bring side dishes.

We start out a someone's place for appetizers, then go to the main meal, then dessert and finally drinks and small exchange of gifts.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
The progressive dinner idea is a great way to split the cost of hosting and it's a lot of fun too!

Belles

Retire Member
:rudolph: Hopefully something good will come out of it, maybe we can get back to the joys of Christmas, like spending time with each other over a simple dinner; or going on a hayride and caroling. Who knows through all of this maybe we will find our way back to a simplier way of life and not have to be so worried over what the cost of all of it will be. Perhaps we will start giving gifts with greater meaning then a greater price tag, such as our time and friendship.
Who knows maybe we will realize the really important things in our lives can't be effected by the economy.

PS..Does anyone else wish we had spell check!?

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Not here... ;-) Im still planning on having our Christmas party... its been a long hectic year I couldnt imagine not having my party... Ive been looking forward to it all year.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Belles said:
:rudolph: Hopefully something good will come out of it, maybe we can get back to the joys of Christmas, like spending time with each other over a simple dinner; or going on a hayride and caroling. Who knows through all of this maybe we will find our way back to a simplier way of life and not have to be so worried over what the cost of all of it will be. Perhaps we will start giving gifts with greater meaning then a greater price tag, such as our time and friendship.
Who knows maybe we will realize the really important things in our lives can't be effected by the economy.

PS..Does anyone else wish we had spell check!?

I agree, it would be nice to get back to simplier life. I know my kids are spoiled at holiday time and always have a host of presents under the tree. The way we always saw it was we might as well do it while we can because someday we might not be able to. Then again, we are setting them up for disappointment if we can't afford as much one year. But I do agree, thoughtful gifts like time spent together are much more important than a pricey toy, if only kids understood that. LOL

We never host a party and don't really have any friends that have one, so nothing will change for us.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I work in a three person office, and last year we had a Christmas luncheon with the accounting firm next to us (at a country club, no less). That was nice, but it was different for me.

I don't have a party, personally. I am not the most social person; but if my sweetie has one at the store, I would go with him. Besides, I can have a party just with me and a cup of my homemade hot chocolate, and a good Christmas movie. Or, turn on the Christmas lights, turn off the other lights, and enjoy peace.

I always want Christmas to be about Jesus; that's why we have Christmas, after all.

:bigsnow:

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
After a hiatus last year (I think it was about organisation than anything else), our sports and social club at work announced a few weeks ago that the Christmas party for Children of employees would be held this year again. It's not a huge affair - held in one of the office buildings on a saturday.

A DVD player is set up in one for older children (we have the player for training purposes mainly).

A large meeting room is cleared, with juice boxes from a local discount store and other candy and fruit (I think there may be a few sandwiches as well for the adults - made by the committee). A few bags of balloons are blown up and some streamers tossed around. One of the committee members brings a stereo from their home and puts on some compilation albums.

A foyer area is blocked off and made into a grotto with all the plants moved into that area, a few decorations, the office tree just outside etc. And a committee member in approriate attire takes up residence there during the afternoon with every child getting a visit and a small present.

It's great fun, and the S&SC pays for it from the weekly contributions of any staff who are members (but all staff are welcome to send their kids).

The staff event has changed a lot in recent years, but there has been building dissatisfaction with it. Many sections are not going to the main event anymore, but having a lunch out as a section (and some going for dinner instead) which everyone pays for themselves (and the section managers usually buy the drinks with the meal) and those who wish, continue to the pub for the evening. (The main event is subsidised by the S&SC who do the organising - but not free by a long shot.)

I suspect that this year, there will be cheaper lunches out but they will still happen. The new section that I am due to move to, is one where the boss actually lives very close to the office (unusal enough in this place) and has in the past hosted section parties in her own apartment. Which are supposed to be very enjoyable events - so I am kinda hoping that this does happen again!

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
My company has a kids Christmas party, they provide a small budget, and a volunteer committee organizes it, we have Santa, a goodie bag, some simple games and crafts, a fun science experiment (we are a medical lab :grin: ), and a pizza supper...last year we had enough to have a balloon guy for 2 hours...the company really likes doing it and we are already organizing for it this year..the adult party is usually in Jan, I guess we'll have to wait to see on that one...

LuAnn

Retire Member
Jan 6, 2008
western Pennsylvania
SparkleNana said:
What do you think?
I think, especially in my area, it will pretty much the same as always.

SparkleNana said:
Is your employer giving a Christmas party?
DH's department is already planning the holiday gathering.

SparkleNana said:
Are your social groups?
Yes! already have two invites.

SparkleNana said:
Your friends?
Too early to know yet...

SparkleNana said:
Definitely... at least the annual post-cantata brunch!

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
I work at a VA hospital, so we will still be having one. DH's company has been making theirs a little smaller for the past few years, but it's still on. My mom is forgoing her party this year, but I am having 2 cookie exchanges instead of 1 like I did last year. :rudolph:

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Neither mine, nor dh employers have christmas party so no change there, but my mom is planning on having a family reunion/Christmas party with her immediate family sometime in December. I'm actually looking forward to it. There aren't a ton of us and it's nice to see my cousins once in a while. :jack:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
At this point, I think that there will probably not be any MAJOR changes to the holiday parties this year. Things may be a little simpler, a little keyed down, but nothing drastic.

Next year, however, may be a whole different ball game. We'll just have to wait and see.

I am still planning on hosting a Wrapping Party this year, and our dinner party - which will be more of a potluck with us providing the main courses and drinks.

My girlfriend that hosts a Cookie Exchange this year is considering dialing things back a bit. Last year we all had to bring 9 dozen cookies each. This year the idea is being tossed around of just making 1 dozen to use as "taste tests" and bringing copies of the recipe for everyone. That way if people want to make the cookie, they will, if not, nothing gets wasted.

Apparently alot of people ended up throwing away alot of the cookies for one reason or another. So this new route would be less wasteful of time and money, thats for sure!

We are also talking about having everyone bring a bottle of their favorite wine for everyone to try as well. So it will be more of a Wine and Cookie tasting as opposed to an exchange.

Which could get interesting between the wine and the sweet cookies...but I'm game. :grin:

As far as company parties go...DH's company will almost definitely be dropping major cash on their party again this year - fancy locale, catered dinner, entertainment, etc.

I work for a hospital so we get a free lunch. :haha: