How Many People Do You Shop For?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
We buy for 5 in our family (2 people are no longer family now, saves money), the staff for DD gets a bonus plus some type of theme gift. I do tend to go overboard on family gifts. One family group isn't near so we send $$ in a card since we are not sure what to buy them.So I have a small list.

I was in Walmart today. They have their shelves stocked with wonderful gifts right now. They will be disappearing fast.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Fun thread!

I would say about 20?

DH and I buy for each other
DS of course ;)
Our dog gets a few treats!

Then I buy for my sister, DH's mom and two local brothers
I send packages to a friend and her 3 girls, to DH's brother's family in TN and to another girlfriend also in TN
I've reconnected with another girlfriend and will be doing a gift basket for her family this year + some small things

Then we'll do teachers/aides/principal/front office staff gifts this year!
And one neighbor gift!

Then there is charitable gift giving - Adopt A Family, Toys for Tots, etc.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We also do cookie/candy trays for the 3 branches of the bank, SILs work place, sons work place, some neighbors, friends and family.

Our work place hasn't did an Angel Tree in a few years so last year we gave to the BCMW. Also gave wrapping paper and tape.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hmm -
Eight Hanukkah gifts for DH, DS and DIL to be - as well as an extra treat for Foxy each night. Also everyone gets a stocking and a Santa gift on Christmas morning.

SIL, MIL, BIL, DNiece and DNephew and their doggie and cat each get a gift

Members of our family - by - choice (friends) - about a dozen - get modest gifts

Everyone - neighbors, service people, etc. - else gets a homemade food treat.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
For my side of the family - the adults draw names and we all give the children gifts. (So 2 adult gifts and 4 children's gifts for niece's and nephew's). We will spend $50 on each gift. I will also buy a combined gift for my mom and dad (usually a restaurant gift card)

My DH side of the family - we buy gifts for his Grandmother (Usually a GC to the grocery store she shops at and a few other small gifts). We also buy a present for our niece on his side.

We go overboard for my daughter, and I do not make apologies for that as we do not buy her things throughout the year for no reason. Some years me and DH exchange, others years we do not. All depends on how the finances are looking. We will not go in debt.

Operation Christmas Child - We will fill 3 boxes (one for each member of the our family)

I have some miscellaneous peeps: I will buy a gift for her 2 softball coaches, Office Party Exchange, dear co-worker, 2 doggies

When you add it up = 18 people and 2 doggies!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
my kids and some friends 18 we exchange at work so that's 2 more.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I used to buy for about 30-35 people. I have three children, only two are married now. My ex DIL had two sons that I would get a little something for, but I quit before Jay got divorced. They never even said thank you, and were smart aleck about what I did buy. Now I have three grandkids. And I would give to several friends, too. I didn't buy just one gift for anyone. It was at least 4 or 5 things to most people. This year I am cutting down some more. I don't know if I will be giving N anything. I think this relationship as it once was is over. So nothing for him and his family. I always ask my kids and grandkids what they want. I can give my son in law a gift card to Starbucks, and he is thrilled. I think this year it will be for my immediate family and maybe my two grand nieces. It is just too expensive to buy for so many. I know one thing my DD has asked for is an apron. We are big girls, and the ones you buy have the "bibs" that are too small. Jay loves a certain kind of pizza, so I might do a gift card to Pizza King for him, as well as a few smaller things. The twins b/d is five weeks before Christmas and Steve's is three weeks after, so I also have those three b/ds to plan for. sigh...

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I forgot we do Operation Christmas Child, too, but it's through our church. Our youth and children's group sponsor it. Each month, suggested types of items are collected. Then, on a Wednesday night before the collection date, everything is spread out on the tables in the fellowship hall. Each child gets a box (several boxes) and fills it with things for appropriates ages/gender. We end up with nearly 100 boxes each year. Our offering collected during VBS pays for the shipping. Our kids love this night! The following Sunday, all the boxes are taken to the sanctuary and prayed over the boxes and for the child who is going to receive it (makes me want to cry just thinking about it).

JollyKelly, I like the idea of the gift card to the grocery store. That's a neat idea. I gave one to DD23 and DsonIL as a wedding gift for when they got home from their honeymoon, but I've never thought of giving one at Christmas. TFS!

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I buy for DH, DD and son in law, two grandchildren - all lots of presents....this year is going to be different as my husband has cancer and we have lots of medical bills. That's 5 people

I also buy a gift for my five daycare children - all thankfully already bought back in February during a huge clearance at Kohls. I also buy a gift for my five daycare moms - again, thankfully already bought due to the huge clearance at Bath and Body Work (got each mom a Vanilla Bean Noel Shower gel and a christmas ornament bought on clearance after christmas at Kohls) - so daycare is completely taken care of. That's 10 people.

I have a "Santa" that comes to my home just before Christmas each year for my daycare children to give out the presents - I give him a 25 dollar GC to local coffee shop each year. I will be buying a gift for three girlfriends. so thats 4 people.

In total....19 people. sounds like a lot, but I get daycare gifts (generic toys) after christmas each year at a fraction of the cost, same for the moms.

p.a.

Premiere Member
Oct 31, 2007
Interesting to see we buy for , isn't it?
I buy for:
Youngest Ds and her fur baby ( my other dd has 2 soon to be 3 kids so I feel like I should treat her ' baby'
Oldest dd
Son in law
2 soon to be 3 grandkids
Oldest brother- lives on his own and far away so I treat him a little ( he calls me all the time)
Other brOther has 2 grandkids so I send them a little something
Sister in law ( my brother passed away) she remembers us every birthday and Christmas with little treats so I send a box of goodies to share with her family
If I have company /family over the holidays I will do a stocking for them
Stockings for my immediate family
My group of friends decided to do a gift exchange so we are making something for each of us
My late husbands best friend is on his own so I try to find the biggest box of chocolates I can find,,,serious sweet tooth
There is an organization called seniors wish here wher we gather items for seniors to give to people who are alone at Christmas. I collect items during the year and donate to them

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
This reminds me I haven't started making certain gifts I have planned for Christmas. I need to get on this ASAP!!!
Even though we've decided to only buy for the nine grandchildren, I do make homemade gifts for the eight families. Some years I just do gc's depending on how hectic my world is.
I try to give my parents a gift every year, but it sometimes doesn't get mailed. Let's just say I have a few years worth of gifts piled up that have not been mailed out. Then, they come here for a visit & I forget to give them to them. :)