Christmas Dinner 2016

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I saw an old thread for what everyone was having for Christmas Dinner, but didn't see one for this year. If I missed it please direct me to it.

Otherwise....... What is the menu going to be for you this Christmas??? Looking for ideas.

Reactions: Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Do you mean Christmas Day Dinner? Or Christmas Eve? Or both? :)

Christmas Eve we are having Lasagna and Cheesy Garlic Bread (both will be in the freezer which means minimal prep on my part!)

For dessert we'll have Frozen Oreo Pudding Cake, I think!
http://lilluna.com/frozen-oreo-pudding-cake/

As far as I know, it's just going to be DH, DS and I so things are going to be simple!

For Christmas Day Dinner I am planning:

- Pioneer Woman Pot Roast
- Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
- Rhodes Dinner Rolls (the frozen kind you let rise)
- Apple and Sausage Stuffing

And I'm still deciding on dessert!

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Luke and I are still in negotiation regarding Christmas Eve- translate that to he has not made up his mind what he wants! I don't have a particular preference as long as its something that I can either:
A. Have it ready in advance to freeze and reheat.
B. Pick it up as takeout early in the day and reheat it or just serve it.
C. Set it up as a platter that you just help yourself from- cold meats, dips, appetisers etc.
Did anyone sense an IM NOT COOKING theme going on there for Christmas Eve????

Don't forget our seasons are opposite to yours so it is the middle of our summer.

Christmas Breakfast/ Brunch: Fresh fruit, pancakes, bacon. I might do mini pancakes and also have mini croissants as well and chocolates. According to Luke chocolates are a must have item for Christmas breakfast!!! Lots of strong coffee!
Christmas Very Late Lunch/ Early Dinner- selection of fresh seafood, rolls, salads, dips, cheeses, cold meats (ham, roast beef, turkey), chocolate mousse with fresh strawberries and clotted cream
Late night snack- traditional English style heavy fruitcake and tea.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I host Christmas Eve at my house every year. This year I'm preparing:

Christmas tree shaped cheese board
deviled eggs
baked crab rangoon
little meatballs
spicy wingettes

Bourban glazed chicken
Roast beef

macaroni & cheese
candied yams
green beans
roasted potatoes
seafood salad
garden salad

fresh baked dinner rolls

red velvet trifle cake
assorted baked Christmas cookies

Holiday punch (a new recipe I'm trying)
eggnog
wine

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Normally for Christmas Eve dinner we do the 7 fishes dinner which does a good chunk of time to plan, prepare and cook. This year I am thinking about doing something different.

Christmas Eve Dinner:
Ham
Homemade Mac and Cheese
Peas
Corn
Dinner rolls

Dessert - Undecided

Christmas Morning Breakfast
Sausage hasbrown casserole
Pancakes
Juice
Coffee

Christmas Dinner
Beef Roast and gravy
Mashed potatoes
Green beans
Corn
Rolls

Desserts: Pumpkin pie & Cherry Pie

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Here is what we are planning:

Christmas Eve - Chinese Take-Out (strange but loved tradition in our household)!

Christmas Morning - Pioneer Woman French Toast Casserole (This is really easy and delicious. I prepare on Christmas Eve and then just pop in the oven Christmas Morning, it makes the house smell great too)

Christmas Dinner - I am hosting this year, total head count is 10. My extended family is very picky, so I end up making a wide variety to try to please everyone. TRY being the key word. On the menu is:

Turkey Gnocchi Soup
Tossed Green Salad

Baked Lasagna
Crockpot Meatballs (with cheese and rolls for sandwiches)
Ham and Green Bean's

Homemade French Bread

Various desserts that others will bring.

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Christmas Eve - Finger buffet food...

Christmas Dinner...I have been hosting for the last 25 years with 18 sitting....So its a tradition to have Chrimbo Dinner at mines....Starter...Homemade Potatoe soup

Main...Roast beef...Turkey crown...
Mashed potatoes,Roast potatoes,Swede,carrots,brussel sprouts...
Pigs in blankets,Sausage and bramley stuffing,chestnut,bacon and cranberry stuffing,

Desserts..

Homemade cheesecakes....Homemade trifle.....

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I love menu planning and reading meal plans ;)

There's a few 'special' meals that we plan for during Christmas holidays; Winter Solstice, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Eve and New Years Day.

We plan on staying home this year. No thoughts if there will be guests joining us for dinner - but it doesn't change really what I will serve, just make a wee bit more.

Winter Solstice: I plan a hearty stew with baked bread bowls, mulled cider, mincemeat and pumpkin tarts.
Christmas Eve: we will do a Rib Roast, fingerling potatoes, green beans, rosemary - sage - thyme popovers, creamed horseradish and pan gravy. Dessert with be gingerbread pudding with toffee sauce.
Christmas Morning Brunch: Maple sausages, veggie quiche, citrus salad, yogurt with berry 'sauce' and cinnamon rolls.
Christmas Dinner: Is an herb and sausage stuffed turkey, garlic mashed potatoes, rosemary roasted root veggies, spiced cranberry sauce and pan gravy. I plan on making individual layered trifles if I can find the right 'glasses' - dessert is still a work in progress.
Boxing Day Brunch (its actually the only 'meal' I cook this day, dinner is leftovers): ham served with mustard and chutneys, veggie strata, pear salad with walnuts and blue cheese, a 'French' Apple Cake and a Pumpkin Crumb Cake.
New Years Eve Fondue: fondue is shrimp, scallops and salmon with three dipping sauces (wasabi, s&s pineapple and Spicy Chili Thai), a spicy Sweet Potato soup, crab dip with veggies. There's a chocolate fondue with pound cake and fruit for dessert.
New Years Day: Ham and Split Pea Soup, served with a pear and roasted squash salad and seeded bread. Shortbread cookies for dessert.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Great idea doing fondue for New Years! We usually do a spread of appetizer type "fun food" :) May have to consider this for another year though!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
On Christmas Eve, I will host.
Appetizers:
Cheese Platter
Kielbassi Platter (3 kinds of kielbassi)
Veggies and Dip
Dinner is:
Lasagna
Breaded Veal Cutlets
Salad
Homemade Garlic Bread
Dessert:
Assorted Cookies
I'm thinking about a chocolate or red velvet trifle

Christmas morning breakfast: Cinnamon Rolls

Christmas Dinner at my mom's and mil's

New Year's is always pork, kraut, kielbassi and mashed potatoes.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
Wow! Now I'm hungry after reading all of your wonderful menus!

We will host my in laws' celebration, Christmas Eve with our best friends and I cook Christmas breakfast. We go to my Mom's for a late lunch/early dinner.

Because we have so many people working odd shifts I am unsure when the in laws' party will be. If we can have it at breakfast time it will be our traditional bacon, ham, sausage, eggs, biscuits and gravy and pancakes affair. If it's at dinner time-who knows! I did pastas one year and it was a huge hit so that's a possibility!

I am undecided on Christmas Eve dinner. I've done everything from soups and sandwiches to turkey and dressing. I guess it's time to drag out the Gooseberry Patch and Susan Branch cookbooksand make some decisions!!

Reactions: farmerswife