HGP 2016 Recap!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Well here we are in January again! How did that happen??? :eek:

How did your HGP journey treat you in 2016? What worked well? What would you try differently next time around?

Reactions: Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I think that overall HGP 2016 was a success for me. I did get a lot done. More so in the earlier weeks which is a common pattern. I will say that I'm going to have to rethink and adjust my approach to freezer cooking and crafting vs. the HGP - having all these actively going at the same time was just too much.

DH and I have talked a bit about what freezer options are really best for us and I'll be scaling back my list next time around. I'm also going to make a real effort to get the bulk of all crafting done by the end of August. That should also help things once HGP starts back up.

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I did combine both this year which did help me out a lot. Was able to get some cleaning done a head of time and check them off my list.

One area I need to focus more on is also about the freezer. Normally my freezers are so full that I don't have room to store freezer meals. I am going to rearrange what I keep in the freezer in the kitchen vs the chest freezer in the garage and make some room for a couple trays of lasagna/stuffed shells. I also want to make up some crock pot meals that can store in freezer bags.

Another thing I am going to do is instead of me doing everything I am going to create spread sheet - check off list and tape to the garage door and assign certain tasks to the kids and the hubby. I will also list some weeks a second time, especially to fill in weeks that do not apply to us with areas that may need more attention. I really want to focus more on homemade gifts too so I need to put more thought and planning into that.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Does anyone do the HGP in another part of the year minus the holiday stuff? If i remember correctly, years ago we had some of us on the board who followed the same plan, but maybe spring into summer. I like doing that myself to get my house in order earlier in the year, so when the holiday plan comes I don't have as much to focus on or OVER focus on.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
MinnieCo.. I do my BIG housekeeping from march through summer (except for kitchen cabinets and maybe part of the basement... dépends how many rainy weekends we get in the spring :) rainy = work in the house).

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I have never done before. But I am thinking of doing a mini version starting in Feb. Schools go back in Feb and life returns to normal (or whatever that is in this house!). Im super lucky and I have a wonderful cleaner to help with the house stuff. This year I involved her more- previous years she just did the normal stuff around the plan. She really responded to the room per week idea. She comes to work each week now and asks "Which room is the focus this week?"

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I love the idea of following a modified version of it now. My problem would be in the spring (mid march to the beginning of June) my weeks are mostly shot with my DS little league baseball and DD HS softball practice/game schedules.