Getting a head start

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I know a lot us like to start shopping and restocking the kitchen with what we need for the holidays a head of time. I usually start in the summer but summer is when money starts to get tight with vacations, back to school shopping and just getting ready for the BER Holidays so this year I am starting now with the nonperishable things I will need for the holidays. I have a general idea of how much of what I will need based on what I used in the past few years.

March: Wax paper and parchment paper (Dollar Tree)
April: Foil and assorted foil containers (Walmart and Dollar Tree)
May: Plastic wrap, freezer and storage bags (Walmart and BJS)
June: Plastic containers to store cookies in (a few of mine cracked so I threw them away) Walmart/Target

I am also going to put $10 to $20 every pay away to help for the baking supplies I will need for the BER holidays.

What are you doing to get a head start?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Wow! Minta you are ahead of the game! I will be taking note of this. At this time of the year I don't usually give any thought to the Christmas kitchen, but it's a great idea

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Good ideas Minta!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Thanks Ladies, I figured since I have the extra money now why just get these bought and out of the way. Then I wont have to stress about picking them up later when the money is tighter. I always have the BER holidays on my mind, trying to find ways to make things easier for me while trying to save money/time :)

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Great ideals Minta. I always have Christmas on mind when shopping. I use to put $5 per pay back for groceries and that made $30.00 a month. Have gotten away from that for some reason.

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Lana I always have the intentions of putting money on a reloadable grocery card or tucking an $5 away here an there and something always comes up and I don't. So I figured I would start budgeting in these extra purchases during the next few months I will be a head :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Great idea starting so early! You've inspired me to give some thought to doing the same. Money is unfortunately tight right now but even picking up one thing every week adds up when starting so far ahead!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I'm not sure what BER holidays refers to but I also divide my holiday prep throughout the year. I divide gifts, food and prep items alike. Holidays bring a flurry of guest into our homes and seated at our tables. I personally go through double the amount of food as well as toiletries and lots of snacks as well as cold/flu season items. The most important thing is to be very mindful of expiration dates for food items. You are all such an inspiration year round.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Don't forget to check spices. They can be expensive to replenish.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
great ideas thanks . i bought some aluminium pans yesterday to put awaw for holiday cooking.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I got a free pack of 10 foil pans last night the grocery store and the same store had foil and plastic wrap on sale next week so I will be stocking up for the holidays.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My mum and I also try and do things like this. We know what we are having for Christmas dinner way in advance so have got a list. Items such as pasta, tinned corn etc and jars of sauces (apple and cranberry) are already in our Christmas Pantry for this December.
We have already bought all the butter that we think we will need for baking and have frozen it. It has quite a long use by date but freezes very well.
Over the next few weeks we will purchase chocolate chips and freeze as well as other toppings for biscuits.
I really never thought of adding baking paper and the like to the list but will now. I will consider what other baking supplies we may need and add them to the list.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Great idea, Minta. It is something I may not have thought about purchasing ahead. I think next time I am in the store I will purchase a few of those items to have them ahead. :)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I actually started evaluating all my spices and seeing what I need. Not necessarily holiday spices, but filling all those spice jars now will assure I have what I need when the cooking and baking season gets busy.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Great idea Michelle!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
You know, I never thought about freezing butter or chocolate chips prior to using them for baking. Thanks for the idea. I like to buy butter when it is on sale but there is only so much space in the refrigerator. If I buy chocolate chips to far in advance, the chocolate chip elves find a way to open the bag and finish them without me seeing them. I need to hide them in a very good place. I bet if I put them in a freezer bag with brussels sprouts, they won't disappear. :p

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Holiday_Mom, that is so funny.
I too like to buy butter etc when I have less on my list for that week. My freezer is full at the moment of butter and choc chips and other baking supplies, but I never thought of hiding them behind the broccoli, something to think about.