2017 Words

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Great word Shannon,
Will look forward to following your journey throughout the year.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
"Restoration" seems to speak to my heart and soul. It's been a rough few years dealing with terminally ill parents/in-laws. I have been the primary caregiver which means I've literally shut MY LIFE down almost completely to care for them. As my FIL is in his final days my thoughts have turned to somehow recovering and restoring my life (home, friendships, goals, hobbies, dreams.......). Little by little I'm trying to start thinking in terms of taking care of myself although I do have both of my parents to consider as well. My Mom has COPD and my Dad is in the advanced stages of Dementia. That alone makes me scared to even dream of having my life back but a little freedom is better than none so I'll take what I can get for as long as it lasts.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Ellen-my thoughts are with you as you are dealing with such heartbreaking situations. I think your word is perfect.

I've been trying to think of a word. Things been difficult the past year, I think I need to get out of the mindset of just surviving things. I need to believe I can have Success.

Success: The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted.

I need to be successful in achieving my goals of a decluttered and clean house and even more so helping DH clean out our storage units so it doesn't fall to someone else to deal with. Of being able to do all the projects I have planned in my mind, like a family archival website I want to create. Of being successful in my job so I can be an asset and advance my position. I want to be successful in having a good diet and getting exercise with DH. Successful in getting back to a more balanced work/home life.

I feel like I've been skimming through my life and just doing the minimum, with things left undone. I need to see and feel success. And I need to do the work to achieve that.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ellen and Robin.
These are both wonderful words and I really hope that you both have an amazing year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
First month of 2017 is behind us. How are we going with our words.
I have chosen renew and I have made little progress.

I have though renewed meal planning which had been forgotten over the last year or so. I do a meal plan for most nights of the week and I am enjoying some lovely meals.
February will still be hot here but I am keen to get on with some plans.

Reactions: GrammaDeb

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I have done really well with my word so far- appreciate. But I knew that January would be no problem. The challenge for me really starts this month. January is holidays for us so its easy to be relaxed, take time and appreciate. Its now that school is back, swim season is on, life is getting busy and hectic that I need to stop and appreciate.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I have done really well with my word so far! Release has been a fantastic word for me, while difficult at times, it has become my fallback quite often and my mantra. My mom sent me that washer bracelet with my word on it and I wear it at all times (only remove it for showering). I find myself looking at it frequently throughout the day. I find myself saying NO to things that I normally would have said yes to because I felt like I should, not because I wanted to. I have been giving myself permission to do that and release the need to do ALL the things. Let someone else handle it, has been a frequent thought in my brain this past month and will absolutely continue. I can't be the ONLY one taking care of everything, especially things that don't cross over into my lane. I have already come across some kickback and unhappiness from others due to this, but they will get over it and figure it out. :)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I wish I'd kept track of my words over the years, but haven't. This year I realize I sadly didn't pick one, but I thought I'd share a quick thought. My daughter who is now 22, told me she chose a word of the year recently. She remembers me really thinking about those words and what they meant to me. I thought that was special. She doesn't follow this board, but traditions and things I've participated in over the years has defiantly rubbed off. That's kinda special..shes' more like her mom than she wants to admit. Oh..and sometimes she brings up my words from the past when I don't even remember them.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
2017: EXPLORE

I chose my word and added it to my signature block but I didn't ever come over here and talk about it. As this is probably (and hopefully!) our last tour of duty in Virginia, we are striving to see as many of the historic sites as we can - we've been stationed here twice before but Virginia is so rich in history, there is still so much more to see.

Now that it's just the two of us at home (DD Sophia and DDog MudLynn are still in Washington), it's easy to take off for the day or budget permitting for the weekend when Vic's schedule allows.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My word is Break and it's been an interesting year so far. When that word first came to mind, it was a bit unnerving.

I've had heartbreak with deaths of loved ones this past winter. One of my daughters broke her wrist. Just last night, I had breakthroughs with facing two fears of mine. I can see that my perfectionism is breaking apart some more. It is so freeing.

This year's word has helped me to embrace things that I've spent most of my life avoiding. In the process, I'm learning a lot about myself.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Mary - What a great affirmation of the power of a word.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It is around this time of year that I need reminding of my word.
The post Christmas hype has passed and day to day routines become the norm. Really need to revisit my word and the plans I made to keep me going for the next short while.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
How is everyone doing with their 2017 Word?

I've seen a lot of personal growth this year. In some ways, it seems like I'm a new person. In other ways, it seems like part of the old me that was battered down over the years is shining through again.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am making progress on " Minimizing" I have sent a lot of stuff out the door. I have been whittling away since July. Some of what I have been "sharing with others" has been hard to part with but it is time. I am pushing hard because mom is 87 years old and could need me to come live with her and take care of her at anytime so I want to be at the ready.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Well, at 54 ... I think I'm getting some clarity about some things in my life.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Good for you Jody. I'm sure you are already feeling so much better. Every little bit will make you feel a bit will lighten your soul.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I've thought about this the last 2 years, but not really committed. I have a goal for this coming year, but I don't know how to condense it into one word. Maybe ya'll can help. Let me summarize the best I can. I belong to a service group that travels and does projects out of state. I've really been pondering talks I've heard lately about looking around you and serving those around you first before extending that reach else where. In a way I'm not feeling fulfilled in the moment by serving with this group and feel I'm being pulled in a different direction. In a way it makes me feel guilty, because some of these people have taught me so much and I've made so many friends and respect these women, but I want to direct that energy to my community locally.

I've not been working the last two years by choice and it's taking a tole financially. Nothing huge, but we have some small debt I'd like to pay off this coming year and I'd like to feel a little more comfortable each month. I'm not sure I want to work full time, but I definitely want to work more than I have. Again, I feel I'm being pulled to focus on things closer to home and less travel by myself would help accomplish this too.

I've also gotten away from one of the things that makes me the happiest and that's scrapbooking. I'm trying new projects like quilting, but I'm not sure if it's for the right reasons.

I think it all comes down to being home, focusing on my family and those around me and being honest with myself about what makes me happy and fulfilled. Somethings missing and if I look a the factors in my life, many of the things that made me really happy are being put aside...this group included.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. It's alot of words, it's late and hopefully someone can make sense of what I'm trying to say..lol

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Michelle, in your post above you use the word focus a few times. Maybe it is time to focus on your job, the community close to you, your scrapbooking, and your family. I think focus would be a great word for you.