Getting a head start

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
My Mum used to hide chocolate in a big casserole dish with a lid. Only her and I knew it was there. Dad knew there was a secret stash but could never find it. He used to come to the kitchen and say, "Hi Dear, could you break open that secret stash of yours, Id like some chocolate please." Mum used to make him leave the room til she got it from her hiding spot.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I just got my Costco money back from my membership and was thinking maybe I'll use that to stock up on backing stuff I'll need..like new vanilla, chocolate chips, nuts, and misc things like that. They also had some aluminum pans that have been awesome to use on the grill. Those might come in handy for storage as well during the holidays so I may pick up another pack.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Michele, I think this is also a good time to think about what food gifts we may be giving to family and friends. Do we need to stock up on plastic containers or fancy gift boxes. Are there anything in the shops now that we can buy and store.
I am now going to look at aluminum pans for use on the bbq for summer and store those away. Thanks for the tip.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Good thought Katrina. That reminded me I'm actually working on saving up my plastic storage bowls for holiday left overs. Because I'm kinda OCD I don't just save random bowls and they sorta have to match so they stack nicely and don't take up to much space. For example, when I buy lunch meat they come in those awesome plastic containers that are perfect for this type of thing. I also started saving my NOOSA yogurt bowls for pie or smaller side dishes. We were always scrambling for bowls at my inlaws, so now I just take a bag with me and anyone can use them as needed. It worked GREAT last year and I don't have to worry about getting anything back to my mother in law.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Michelle - That reminds me to add trips to the Dollar Store to my to do list over the next months. I always pick up their foil round cake pans (3 packs) to use for leftovers. They come with little lids you can crimp the edges of the pan down on and work great!

I need to dust off my master holiday menu plan document and master holiday grocery spreadsheet soon too!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mum and I went through all the baking supplies last week. We added to the shopping list the things we are low on and we will pick those up in the next few weeks.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
For those in the US, now is a good time to pick up anything red that you need with all the patriotic decorations, tableware, etc.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Great Idea Miss Jane! My local grocery store had a section of red white and blue things. I remember seeing red wrapped candy and red aluminum disposable cake pans. I am going to swing by after work to see if they are marked down!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I love this idea!!! Going to check my supplies today and start a list.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What a great idea! The red and white could be used for so many things around Christmas time.
Great time to stock up!!!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
My supply of foil, wax paper, parchment paper and foil pans (especially the one with lids and the loaf pans) are all low. I am going to budget in $5 a week/every other week and start restocking these items now.

Also going to start testing new cookie recipes for the holidays with the 1st test batch being this weekend. Hoping to have the new recipes tested before the end of summer as I want to finalized my holiday baking list by Sept. This way I can make a list of the ingredients I will need and how much of each and budget those in my weekly shopping trips. Oct and Nov seem to be best months for sales on baking items in the grocery stores.

I seriously dislike the thought of running out of an ingredient and having to go buy it at full price or worse yet have it sold out at the store ... yup that happened to me before. That was the year without Gingerbread cookies as every store I visited was sold out of Molasses :eek: Oh the horror :eek:... I have learned my lesson since then :D

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Just a little suggestion -- watch your Dollar stores and places like Michaels and JoAnn, as well as the "dollar" section of Target (typically right where you enter) in JULY, as they're likely to have RED containers for the 4th of July holiday, which can easily double for the Christmas holidays (and blue, often used at Hanukkah).

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I seriously dislike the thought of running out of an ingredient and having to go buy it at full price or worse yet have it sold out at the store ... yup that happened to me before. That was the year without Gingerbread cookies as every store I visited was sold out of Molasses :eek: Oh the horror :eek:... I have learned my lesson since then :D

ROFLOL! I can so relate to this - both buying at full price and Gingerbread cookie disasters. One of these years I will get it right. LOL!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Just a little suggestion -- watch your Dollar stores and places like Michaels and JoAnn, as well as the "dollar" section of Target (typically right where you enter) in JULY, as they're likely to have RED containers for the 4th of July holiday, which can easily double for the Christmas holidays (and blue, often used at Hanukkah).

Thanks for the tip.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Somehow, I have ended up with three rolls of parchment paper from baking for prom. Just one step ahead for the holiday season!

I'll be on the lookout soon for things I'll need for the holidays. So excited!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Thanks for the tip.
Yes, great idea. Anything red, white, and blue that you see on sale will work for the rest of the patriotic holidays - time to stock up.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007

Same here! In NS we always bought molasses in gallon size containers. When I moved to Ontario I couldn't find anything over about 16 oz. I had to remember to stock up on 10 containers to be ready for Christmas! (My gingerbread house recipe is very molasses-heavy

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Same here! In NS we always bought molasses in gallon size containers. When I moved to Ontario I couldn't find anything over about 16 oz. I had to remember to stock up on 10 containers to be ready for Christmas! (My gingerbread house recipe is very molasses-heavy

They only sell molasses in 16 oz jars around here too.