Looking after our weight

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It is no surprise that one of the areas that we all seem to struggle with is losing/maintaining weight.
I did really well last year with the weight loss and lost quite a bit. Since Christmas I have put back probably half of what I lost.
I need ideas, support and I kick in the butt to get going again.
Maybe we could post here things that are working, things to avoid and any help or suggestions that may help those of us who are struggling.
A virtual Weight Watchers if you like.

Thoughts?????

Reactions: Lolwlias

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Yesterday I got on the scales and weighed in at 111.1 kilos. Not sure what that is in pounds but it is a lot.
Last year I lost about 12 kilos and got down to 108.00. Then came Christmas, and then a cruise with all you can eat buffets (and boy did I eat).
So even though I have ONLY put on 3 kilos I know that I am going in the wrong direction and need to get started again or else it will all come back.
The thing that worked well for me last year was no carbs and no snacking. I would sit at night and eat a whole bag of chips or a block of chocolate. I did not miss this, and then it all started to sneak back in.

So.....the plan,
1. No carbs again. Cut back on the potato, bread and pasta. A tough one for me because I love bread and toast or a sandwich is an easy fix.
2. Plan my meals better, lunches and snacks that I have on hand that are good for me.
3. Go for a walk, do some moving, even if it is only once or twice a week.
4. Increase the water. It is hard here, it is winter but something that needs to be done.
5. Just think.....
6. If I have a bad day, it is just a bad day. Start again tomorrow.

OK that is it for now....

Reactions: teachermomof2

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am in need of taking better of me too. I have about 30-40 lbs. to loose. I am a stress eater. When at home I stress over family issues. At work I am stressed over incomplete information given when asked to do a task. Big boss is not clear and sometimes leaves you in an embarrassing situation that you have to fix. Also, asked to do the job from one site (location) when I should be totally focused on the other site. When at work I am moving all the time--my fitbit is always telling me I am an overachiever (over 10,000.00 steps)

My deal is I don't cook because 1) Family living with me has celiac and can't contaminate the kitchen or it is such a mess and I refuse to be the housemaid. So I have been eating lots of carbs. 2) Car issues. 3) DD27 choices

I too lost weight when I ate low carbs and high protein. I am not a big fruit and veggie eater.

My Plan

1 less sugar
2 more good protein plant based protein shake.
3 less carbs
4 more water (will add a slice of lemon, orange etc for flavor)
5 No soda more tea
6 small meals more often until I eat 6 meals a day. It is basically dividing your 3 meals into six. 1
Finally, reward for a good week a small treat.
Let's begin tomorrow!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Miss JoDee. My problem is that I hardly move. My office is very small, I would be luck to do 1000 steps in a day.
When I am home I do more but not anywhere near enough,
Just went for a 45 minute walk with DD and the dogs. Only walked 4630 steps. Anyway it all adds up.
Going to get a big glass of water and go to the supermarket and get my meals for lunches tomorrow and Tuesday.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have two problems with eating. I have loved coca-cola since a young child. At one point in my life I was drinking at least 3 liters a day. I was 120 lbs at that time. Then they changed from using sugar to corn syrup. So I cut down on my intake of soda. Now I'm drinking 2 to 3 cans of soda a day. Totally empty calories because I can't stand the taste of diet soda.

Next problem is I'm a meat eater. I can eat 4 times as much meat as Dh. lol Carbs, not much of a problem since I am also a celiac so no gluten items. No oats either for me or DD. The whole house eats gluten free. I've been cooking gluten free long enough that I can make most anything without gluten. And no one who eats it can tell it's gluten free.

And I love trying new recipes. Cheese would probably be my third biggest problem. What can I say, I live in Wisconsin with cheese stores all over the place. lol

I need to do better portion control and exercise more.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Dierdra. If I had to list my top 5 foods it would be,
1. Bread,
2. Cheese
3. Pasta
4. Potato Chips
5. Cake.

so you can see that I don't really have a great chance.
I will be trying really hard to add more fruits and veggies into my diet, limit the cheese and try to cut out all snacks. This will be the hardest thing, finding snacks that are healthy and easy to prepare.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
My #1 go-to food for everything (low blood sugar, stress, tired, boredom) is cereal - I could eat a bowl of cereal 5 times a day. Interesting because I too have celiac but no real symptoms except exhaustion and sometimes a little bloating.

One of my daughters uses the 21-Day Fix, which works great for her - she is a cross country runner/coach. I've done this for a couple years and I feel better when I'm diligent, but no weight loss. Another daughter is having success with low carbs & high protein, and a lot of exercise. My girls and I pack the weight on our butts and thighs, and exercise (which we are all addicted to) increases our size - it's frustrating.

I have been adding citrus slices to my water, and I've been able to drink a lot more water - about 15 cups a day. I have 100 pounds to lose and due to an autoimmune disorder, I have no metabolism to speak of. I will go back to my low carb & high protein diet, with lots of exercise - the only time I see weight loss is when I eat less than 900 calories a day and exercise.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Work for me today and I don't find these days too hard. I packed a salad yesterday and have a tin of flavoured tuna to go with it. I have packed a mandarine and my water and some lemon tea bags. I have also packed some carrot sticks and a corn dip.

Reactions: GrammaDeb

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I lost 65 pounds and over the last year have gained 10 back. I'm determined NOT to gain it back. I just go through spells where I can control what I eat and then periods go by where I just want to eat everything. I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!! But in the past I would have gained all of it back already, so I'm hanging in there. My goal is to have that 10 pound down by the time I weigh in next month at the doctors. I was on meds for blood sugars for about 6 months and that 65 pounds was enough to take me off of meds, so I'm hoping..HOPING..my labs come back okay. If not I'm going to kick myself in the behind. sighhhhh

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'm doing Weigh Watchers right now. I lost the first week, but gained last week, even though I ate within my points. Minnie, I'm with you...I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!! I seem to gain on high protein diets.

One of my problems with losing weight is I am a picky eater. I wish I weren't. Textures really do me in. I don't eat cheese at all, except melted on casseroles, and I don't drink milk. I do eat yogurt, but only the ones that aren't good for you. :(

Another challenge right now is our oven is out, but I hope the repairman will call tomorrow.

Diedra, I'm a cocaholic, too, but I only drink one about once a week. At Sam's they did have coke from Mexico. I think it's made with sugar instead of corn syrup. We bought some for DD24's wedding reception.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am like that too some days. I just can't seem to feel full, and am never satisfied. I always feel like I need to follow my meal with some sort of sweet.
Am going to have to have some fruit cut up ready so that I am not tempted by cereal etc.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Katrina,
For sweet treats make low fat/ no fat yogurt your friend! But watch the sugar content! Lots of low/ no fat items are full of added sugar so the calorie count is still high. Freeze the for a pretend ice cream treat.

Im not unhappy with my weight. But I do watch the sugar, fat content of my food. if there is a low fat, low sugar version of something I will buy it. Its now a way of life for me. I only drink diet soda. Only time I could tolerate Coke was when I was pregnant then I could not get enough of it.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I feel more satisfied after eating if I have a totally balanced meal. I eat a lot of fat-free cottage cheese since I'm not a fan of meat.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
These are all great tips. I will stock up on some yoghurt to have with fruit, It is a little hard here at the moment because it is Winter and I feel like crumbles and hot puddings. Just need to tweak things if it is going to make a difference.
Have had my porridge and coffee for breakfast and have my salad and fruit packed for lunch so it should be a good day.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Had a bit of a snacking blow out last night. Need to get back on track today and realise that a bad night is not the end of the journey.
Did the groceries yesterday and bought a lot of healthy options for dinners over the next week or so, so there is really no excuse.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I am trying to get back on track with clean eating .. while we never be 100% clean eating I figured I can cut out a lot of prepackaged stuff and make more things from scratch. I stopped buying cookies, cakes and other junk food and on the weekend I started making snacks for the kids.. Healthier muffins, granola bars, cookies ... that way I can control the ingredients and portion sizes.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
A pretty day outside so DD and I just took the dogs for a walk. Came home and then walked to the shop to get bread and milk.
Will be having fruit for lunch

Reactions: teachermomof2

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have been power walking with Leslie daily. I have maintained my 15 lb loss but am not getting any lower. It's frustrating. I can feel the inches coming off, but no pounds. I am watching what I eat, but not being fanatical about it. Just making better choices.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Lisa--that's great that you are maintaining. One thing I always forget is when the weight isn't coming off and I am exercising that muscle weighs more. You need to look at the fit of your clothing which is why there are less inches but weight is the same. Another thing, is you may not be eating enough---I know, but that is what my coach at Curves told me.

I have been hitting my fitbit goal but the eating is not going as well as it should. Once I am back in my kitchen the end of the week I should be able to do more cooking without fear of getting gluten somewhere and making my dgds sick.