Recipes to Test 2017...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
There is something about cold weather that makes me just want to curl up in a comfy chair and look at cookbooks! I've been doing just that recently, as much as possible that is!

I'm realizing that there are so many recipes I want to try out this year, some healthy, some not so healthy but are forgiveable upon occasion! :)

Thought it might be fun to have a place to come and share things we plan to try, how they turned out, lessons learned and of course - to encourage each other along the way!

I personally try to avoid trying new recipes at a dinner party or holiday meal - but often end up running out of time to test them out beforehand. And so it just gets skipped! I'm vowing to do a better job of that this year!

What do you guys think? Are there particular things you have in mind that you've always wanted to try? Do you have an occasion in mind for it?

Reactions: Minta

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I have to try out low-fodmap recipes to replace some tried & true recipes. I'll post them when I make them so others can try them if they want too.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I got 2 new recipe books for Christmas and started marking off pages that contain recipes I want to try :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have so many things I want to try but for now I just want to make sure I remember that I need to practice my gravy making skills this year! I want to do some different roast chicken recipes here and there anyway and that will be a good time to practice the art of pulling together gravy!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Tested out a few things this weekend!

DIY Cream of Something Soup for the freezer - Made Cream of Mushroom and after doing a quadruple batch I ended up with 6 "cans" in freezer bags! Boy did it smell/taste good!

Also made a triple batch of DIY Refried Beans in the crockpot and from a 2 lb bag of Pinto Beans I got 5 1/2 "cans" worth in the freezer. Which isn't bad since a bag of beans is only $1.45 and I pay at least $0.79 each for cans from the store!

Tested a new baking powder biscuit recipe as well but it was a big ole FAIL. Way to dry and the Cream of Tartar used in the recipe was really strong. We did NOT care for them.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I tried a new recipe last Friday night .. Broccoli and Cheese soup. I tweaked the recipe a big to make it a bit lighter and it was really good. Instead of using whole milk I used 1% milk and I pureed a lot of broccoli and even pureed some leftover yams to help thicken up the soup. The pureed yams added a nice richness to the soup without making it heavy. Definitely a keeper ...

I have also made a few different granola bars recipes (chocolate peanut butter no bake and a chocolate chip coconut that you bake).. They were good but a bit too sweet. I remade one and again tweaked it a bit and used less honey and more peanut butter .. much better.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Well. Now. I'm. Hungry.

LOL

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We do this is we are trying a new desert for Christmas. We will try it on the family on Mothers day and see if it is a hit or a miss.
We really don't entertain a lot and if we do I stick to tried and true recipes, but there are a few things printed off in my folder to try.
DH is making tortoleni with creamy mushroom and bacon sauce for dinner tonight. New to us. I am aso trying an onion soup recipe this week.
I tend to try more new things in Winter than in Summer and off course my Pintrest folder if full of things I want to try.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
This past made me realize I received all 4 of the Pioneer Woman cookbooks and I still haven't sat down to "read" them really. One I've pulled out and used, but not the others. I need to see what's in those books!! Might be a good option for a road trip. Never thought of that. Usually I read magazines, but those would work to to help pass time.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Bumping this thread! Can't believe it was started in January and it's nearing the end of August already! YIPE!

How is everyone doing with testing out recipes they want to make for the holidays this year?

I'm testing one this weekend that I have in mind for New Year's Day - I like the idea of having something in the crockpot all day - while we are lazy! :)

http://carlsbadcravings.com/asian-sweet-chili-sesame-chicken/