Gift closet 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Katrina- have a look at Share the Dignity. I know that they are active in Canberra. It supports homeless women and teen girls.
https://www.sharethedignity.com.au

I know they run a program at Christmas called, "Its in the Bag" You are asked to fill a bag with personal care items- shampoo, conditioner, brush, comb deodorant etc.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Stopped at Hallmark yesterday and their ornaments are 75% off. I was able to find 3 for each of my kids and one for my DH. The will be tucked away until next Christmas and be used as stocking stuffers.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I picked up a jewelry dish for $3.00 (was $14.00). It is a ceramic dish with a tree branch looking thingy coming out of the middle of it. You place on your dresser or by the Kitchen sink to hold your jewelry. I am going to give this to my sister next year.

I also picked up a 3.5 foot pre lit artificial tree in an urn for $10.00 (was $40.00). This will look amazing on my porch, and will be so much easier than the garland I currently use.

I got these deals at Rite-Aid. I was told at CVS that their Christmas clearance goes to 90% off on the 14th. I might swing by there for one last look.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tanya, thanks for that link. That is certainly something we can look at. I talked to DD and she has contacts at several of the women's refuges in Canberra and we are thinking of supporting them. Will had Share the Dignity to the list. I might ask my work place to become involved too as we are all women and deal mostly but not exclusively with women patients.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to the dollar store and have made a great start to the comfort packages for Christmas. My mum and I bought 10 pair of socks, 10 toothbrushes, 10 mini shampoos and conditioners, 10 tissues and 10 hair combs. Need to find 10 mini toothpastes and the water. Will pack the bags and see how full they are before deciding if they need anything else. Glad to make a start with this and are hoping to do this several times this year.

Went to the Office supply store near me yesterday. I got cable cord tidyers and labels for DH. I think they will be a useful gift for cleaning up behind the T.V.
Also got cute notepads and sticky notes for DD's stocking, she will use them at her desk at work.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i bought some bags and christmas tags. also a pocketbook and a tervis for my daughter.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
housewife2....could you please explain what a tervis is?

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I bought myself a new beach bag and bikini yesterday- both 70% off. Classic styles and colours so they have gone away til next Christmas.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Great shopping Tanya. Who could resist 70% off?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I like those tervis cups. Will save that into my Christmas gift ideas list.

Reactions: teachermomof2

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lisa, thanks for the information on the Tervis cups, they look great.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thanks housewife2. What a handy gift to have under the tree.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Picked up many stocking fillers when I shop last week. The brand Palmolive (not sure if you have it there) had most of there range of hand soaps, dish washing liquids, shampoos, shave foams etc at 50% off. There was another brand that had deodorants etc also at 50% off. I got a huge range of things for stockings so I was very pleased.
Ordered some DVDs for DS and DD and they have arrived and they are now in the gift closet. So for the first week in February I am pleased with what I have got.
Would love to sit with my planner this week and see if I can gather some more ideas.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I have some small bottles of bath and body lotion, some socks already. Also a two pack of the popular coloring booklets. Will use them for a Dirty Santa gift. I will get some colored pencils to go along with it.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have some small bottles of bath and body lotion, some socks already. Also a two pack of the popular coloring booklets. Will use them for a Dirty Santa gift. I will get some colored pencils to go along with it.
Gather a bunch of just black pencils if you use it for a Dirty Santa gift.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I have added lots of bits to my Gift Closet the last week or so- well some of them are on order so have not arrived as yet. Im feeling really ahead now. BUT I will lose lots of them for Birthdays. I tend to just buy as I see or think of things. I keep everything all together then as birthdays come up I raid my gift closet. The only things that are really designated for Christmas are those Summer items like beach towels, snorkels etc or those things that have a Christmas theme.

Luke seems to have developed a taste for horror books- they might give him nightmares BUT it does open up a whole new range of Christmas gifts!

I have also added to my stocking stuffers collection.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tanya, love it when the kids decide to start following a new t.v show or a sporting team etc. As you say it opens up a new area for gift ideas.